back to article Head of DrinkorDie cops to copyright charges

The kingpin for one the world's oldest and best-known piracy groups has pleaded guilty to software piracy charges, bringing a close to an international cat-and-mouse game that took more than five years to play out. Hew Raymond Griffiths - better known in warez circles as Bandido - faces up to 10 years in prison and $500,000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can he fix WGA for community service?

"DrinkOrDie specialized in cracking anti-piracy measures in popular software, movies and other digital content, so it could be copied and used over and over."

Can he remove 'Window Genuine Advantage' validation as a community service penalty? So that I can get the security fixes, that I SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO, without the invasive WGA?

That way he's putting his skills to good use for consumers, we get back our right to privacy, we get back the right to get unconditional access to vendor fixes to their broken products. It's a win win situation.

2. Tim Bates

Were these guys making copies for sale?

Were these the guys caught in raids a few months back that had huge duplicating facilities set up? If so, sucks to be them... Making money by selling pirate goods is totally and completely wrong.

3. Chris Collins

Read the article

Pay attention, Tim:

"Griffiths isn't accused of profiting financially from his deeds."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Were these guys making copies for sale?

No, none of these groups do this to make money.. It's all about the 'net equivalent of 'street cred' - who can get the latest release out first, be it movies, software apps or games..

5. Rob

WGA

"Can he remove 'Window Genuine Advantage' validation as a community service penalty? So that I can get the security fixes, that I SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO, without the invasive WGA?"

Sorry, but you agreed to the EULA like the rest of us. If you want those security fixes you have to jump through the necessary hoops. You're NOT entitled unless you can prove to Microsofts satisfaction that you're a genuine licensee.

If you want to drive a car you (at least in the UK) have to own a license and on occasion you may be asked to produce it for inspection. WGA is no different to having to produce various documents for your car tax. If you want to be legal you have to provide the necessary info.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EULA comes after the sale

"Sorry, but you agreed to the EULA like the rest of us."

No I didn't, I paid my money, got my computer, the sale was made and I went home. I do not accept after sale contracts.

"If you want those security fixes"

I want merchantable goods, you sold me defective goods. I want them repaired. This is my right under the Sale of Goods act.

"If you want to drive a car you (at least in the UK) have to own a license and on occasion you may be asked to produce it for inspection."

So says UK Law RTA 1988 sects 164 & 165. Last time I checked Microsofts EULA were just attempts to pass off a sale as a contract via an after sale EULA. Now you're trying to pass off the EULA as a law?

I repeat, I am entitled to demand merchantable goods or get defective goods repaired.

I am entitled to ignore after sale contracts as attempts to change the sale terms after the fact.

I am entitled to my privacy.

He could remove WGA and he would be doing a service to consumers by stopping this *** that Microsoft pulls.

7. James Anderson

Windows is a consumer product.

I dont have to provide a license to get my toaster fixed why should I need to produce a license before I can get my defective OS fixed?

An OS is nothing like a car! The reason drivers are licesed is that you can run over and kill children and old ladies with a car.

8. Kwac

EULA comes after the sale

I want merchantable goods, you sold me defective goods. I want them repaired. This is my right under the Sale of Goods act.

Nope. They didn't sell you any goods.

You have bought a license to use Windows.

The EULA (which you agreed to by buying a computer with a licensed copy of Windows installed) says that MS can do whatever they want, they still own your copy of Windows.

The only way round it is to buy a computer without MS installed, or provide evidence that you do not accept the EULA (e.g. photos of you formatting the harddrive in the store) and ask for a refund - you'll probably need to go to a small claims court for this.

This topic is closed for new posts.