back to article Key Star Trek tri-corder boffinry breakthrough

A breakthrough in small, high-powered magnets could lead to handheld magnetic resonance scanners with similar capabilities to those of today's room-sized medical and scientific instruments. According to a report in MIT Technology Review, Doctor Federico Casanova and colleagues at the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Filippo Silver badge

blood?

Magnetic resonance is used on blood samples? Really? What for?

1. SuperTim

It is used....

to check if a prison guard's blood contains too much iron. Have you never seen X-men? It's how magneto escaped from prison! Magnetically imaging the blood would mean that they can tell if magneto can extract the metal from it to make projectiles, floating platforms and all sorts of metal mayhem.

2. Richard 81

NMR

Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy can be used to analyse all sorts of chemicals. By googling 'nmr blood samples', for instance, I've come across a paper on testing blood plasma to look for cancer.

For more details you'll have to ask someone who hasn't forgotten most of their chemistry degree.

1. Martin Gregorie

Another use for NMR

NMR is quite good for spotting benzene in dodgy vodka: the benzene peaks show up a treat as we found when we put an absolute alcohol sample in my university's first NMR machine to look for hydrogen bonds. We were surprised to see them - thought the abs.alc. would have too much water in it - but the mutter of 'No more abs.alc. for me' that ran round the room made us grin[1].

[1] ginger beer spiked with ethanol or abs.alc. was a popular drink among chemistry students when I were one.

1. EC1
          Pint

Bathtub chemistry

Real chemists use HPLC grade ethanol which has no benzene.

Beer because it's Friday.

2. Otto von Humpenstumpf
    Joke

in other news

Two scientists who have invented a D-cell sized magnet able to generate 0.7 Tesla have not been able to put it to practical use as of yet, as they are still struggling to pry it off the fridge door.

1. Ian K
      Alert

Yeah, I wondered about that

All very well having a nice portable mega-magnet, but even assuming it doesn't have equally mega- power requirements there's still the fact that you'd be wandering around in public with a bloody strong magnet.

External shielding needed, I guess (ruling out a proper "stand well back and scan" tricorder), unless you want archaeologists braining each other with flying shovels, and bricked hard drives in adjacent offices.

1. Mephistro
        Joke

Could be useful

"unless you want archaeologists braining each other with flying shovels, and bricked hard drives in adjacent offices."

Perhaps not archeologists, but you know, there are lots of computers in government buildings. Sadly most politicians have never seen a shovel. ^_^

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Keep in mind...

...that the strength of magnetic fields weaken rapidly over distance. they would only have tricoder-shovel problems at very short distances.

3. Stuart Elliott
    Megaphone

But inquisitive minds what to know..

Will it make the tricorder whoohoohooohoohoo noise?

1. DavCrav

Pimp my tricorder

Optional extra.

1. TimeMaster T
        Joke

Options

Be among the first 100 pre-orders and get it Free!

2. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

Only...

... if you install the requisite sound file...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Woohoohoohoohoo

There's an App for that....

3. Roger Greenwood
      Thumb Up

Already got it

On my Android G1

4. Harvey Trowell
    Thumb Up

This Ever Changing World In Which We're Livin'

One can only hope said small and powerful magnet is small and powerful enough to fit inside a wristwatch, allowing it to be surreptitiously deployed in the lowering of the zip of a lady's dress behind her back in a hands-free plausibly deniable fashion. Then we will truly be living in the future.

1. Fatman
      Happy

RE: This Ever Changing.....

Harvey,

You and I think alike.

I bet you even know the real reason why a gentlemen always lets a lady go first??

I have heard it put in two different ways,

1) to `check her out from behind`

2) to `check out` her behind

Anyway, who wants to quibble over a word or two.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"why a gentlemen always lets a lady go first"

I always thought it was so she wouldn't complain about him peeing on the toilet seat.

5. Graham Bartlett

Remember to remove all steel objects...

Generating stonking big magnetic fields is all well and good - so long as you're sure there's nothing made of iron, steel, or (less seriously) nickel hanging around. Otherwise you're in danger emulating "Little book of bunny suicides" rabbit standing in the middle of the road between a knife shop on one side and an electromagnet shop on the other. Piercings would be bad. Hip replacements or pins in bones would be worse.

It's also incompatible with magnetic storage media like PCs, which would probably be inconvenient.

1. BlackMage
      Boffin

More than just steel...

Quite so, there's a number of reasons MRI units in hospitals have carefully controlled access and patients have to be interviewed before being cleared to enter the magnet. Of greatest concern are things like pacemakers, surgical clips and metal particles in the eye sockets.

Another thing that MRI machines have are large RF shields around them. NMR signals are extremely small and even small amounts of outside RF noise can swamp them. There's also the small matter of a clinical system requiring a three phase electrical supply for the RF and gradient coil amplifiers.

Unfortunate reality nerdery aside, one possibly entertaining side effect would be down to the fact that humans are essentially large bags of conductive liquid. Move a powerful magnet next to a conductor and you get large eddy currents. If that conductor happens to be someone's head, the eddy currents will flow through the brain and induce disorientation, nausea and vertigo. Wave one of these quickly past a patient's head and watch them fall over...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Piercings

Nowr wrong with piercings - I wasn't asked to remove my titanium nipple rings when I last had an MRI!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MRI with piercings

Neither was I, but I took it out anyway - wasn't going to take the chance ;-)

6. Asgard
    Joke

@"500-gramme magnet ... which can generate a 0.7 Tesla field"

Cool I want one! ... only problem is as soon as it gets near (some suitable) metal I doubt I will ever get it off again. (Would be fun to watch the postman struggling to get the box out their van. :)

1. TimeMaster T
      IT Angle

Question

Would one of these be powerful enough to pull an under wired bra off at a distance?

Just ask'n

7. Martin 49

It has to be said....

"It's LIFE Jim. But not as we know it."

8. Marvin the Martian
    Dead Vulture

Good day for units

So the "star trek tricorder" is the new size unit for handheld devices? At a volume of what, half an average bulgarian airbag? I think we should be told.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

But Theres already a Tricorder App for that...

http://code.google.com/p/moonblink/wiki/Tricorder

Oh and it doesnt stick to the nearest metal object crushing your hand in the process...

10. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Power requirements?

Let's not celebrate the oncoming portable NMR revolution until we know how much power it takes. Are Docs going to need the physique of a New Zealand prop forward to carry the battery pack?

11. Whitter
    Thumb Up

Levitating Playmobil?

'nuff said.

12. The elephant in the room
    Paris Hilton

Come on people, what sort of magnet would The Love Doctor be trying to invent?

"Doctor Federico Casanova" (surely a Simpsons character if ever I heard one) must have invented this by accident during experiments to create a fanny magnet!

Paris, because she is attracted to poles.

13. Rogerborg

Yahbut

You wouldn't want to put sensitive electronics near a 2 Tesla field. You know, like the rest of the Tricorder.

14. James 127
    Megaphone

Tricorder app?

Will there be an app for that?

/s

15. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Pint

Speakers?

Big bass units? Forget the medical and military applications, stick to the important stuff.

16. Asgard
    Happy

Wow much better motors!

Now I've had some more time to think about it, this breakthrough is going to allow the creation of some insanely powerful electric motors. This work is also going to help all sizes of motors to become more powerful. I can't wait to get lighter more powerful radio controlled model motors and even very powerful tiny servo motors. Then there's bigger applications like more powerful electric cars and even bikes.

I think they are about to become very rich :) … Even just all the improved motor applications for this technology is vast.

17. Catbeller

Why must I always be the realist? Portable fMRI units for "lie detection"

Let me point out that in the States, fMRI machines are as we speak being certified (how? by what authority?) as lie detection machines for legal investigations. They are labeled 100% reliable. No, you don't get an opinion about it.

Now I see, coming with the speed of a crashing satellite, field fMRI caps to be slapped on the heads of "criminals" for instant lie-detection.

Don't let it happen.

18. Jerome 0
    Boffin

I'll be rich!

Bah, I already have a tri-corder in my Android phone, get with the times! Besides, by far the best use for an ultra-strong magnet would be to finally win on those 2p machines at the seaside. (Non-ferrous? What does that mean? Stop ruining my plans with your stupid science.)

19. Christoph
    Stop

All sorts of problems

As already mentioned:

Destruction of any magnetic data in the vicinity. Not just computers but credit cards, building/travel passes, mobile phones, etc.

Lethal flying objects if there's anything ferromagnetic in the area. They have strict rules to stop people leaving iron objects in scanner rooms, because people have died from a moment's carelessness.

But there's also endless opportunities for sabotage by leaving one of these in just the right place.

And there will of course be lots of '"funny" "practical jokes".

20. Mage Silver badge

D Cell

half a kilo the size of D-Cell or a D-cup?

A 500g D cell is dense stuff.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Boffin

A 500g D cell is dense stuff.

It's all that magnetism pulling them together. Make's 'em small 'n' dense, so it does.

Any stronger and they're in danger of producing neutronium accidentally, or if they let a handful go at once, it's black hole time!

Wheee! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh noes, a pocketful of black hole!

Um, right, I'll get back to the beach, then, shall I?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

if you're curious about powerful magnets, neodymium magnets are cheap as anything - I have a pair of 2cm ones (about £10 each when i got them), not sure about measuring the strength, but of the 7-8 people i've showed them to, i'm the only one who can separate them (and then it's the technique I use to orientate them so the field is weaker, then i can just about pull them apart - although if the first attempt doesn't work i need a few minutes before trying again!)

One of my mates made the mistake of allowing his arm to get between them, he dropped one while the other was on the table below - ended up with 2 powerful magnets clamped around his arm, very painful, and not very easy to remove either!

Powerful magnets are cheap, fun, and very very dangerous :)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Yeah but...

...what are you going to do when the Gorn feedback your own impulses to build up an overload and the tricorder explodes?

23. AlistairJ
    Headmaster

Units pedant alert

The Tesla is a unit of magnetic flux density, not magnetic "field" or even field strength.

Shame on you El Reg!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

I always figured...

...that the Tesla was a unit of nuttiness, with one Tesla being the amount of crazy required to believe that Big Oil is conspiring to silence proofs of free energy devices.

24. matthé

forget MRI...

will it power my hoverboard?

25. Stevie

Bah!

I predict a bunch of tricorders stuck immovably to ambulance doors and warships stuck together in rafts by these daft mega-magnets while the terrorists go about non-magnetically in absolute freedom.

Another triumph for "science".

26. Johnny Canuck
    Joke

Yeah but...

Will I be able to see through the ladies dresses with it?

27. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Note this is a *permanent* magnet

No power required.

It's *real* feature is it takes standard MRI sample tubes while maintaining a *very* constant magnetic field in the sample zone. good enough to build a "portable" (not sure if this will be laptop or more Osborn luggable for those who remember such things) MRI unit.

Imaging, or samples which don't need insertion are likely to be a *lot* harder.

But still pretty neat.

28. John Greenwood 1

Hip Replacements

As long as the joint replacement / pins have been in for a bit (about a month) then there's no problem having a scan with them. Apart from your images look crap, and there's always the risk of some heating.

The Article mentions that 0.7T "is still substantially less than the multi-Tesla fields required for MRI scans" - Not true, there are scanners in the sub 1T field (0.5+) that are in use, such as this one http://www.fonar.com/su_specs.htm although the higer Tesla has it's advantages in most cases.

John

BSc(Hons) Diagnostic Radiography

29. -tim
    Pint

Patents

I'm guessing this is all patented even though it was discussed years ago on usenet forums which is full of prior art. Magnets stronger than what was used in the 1st NMRI machine have been around for years and even old phones have more processing power than was used in the 1st dozen machines.

30. IvyKing

Halbach array?

I'd guess that the magnet is a cylindrical Halbach array, especially if they're eventually aiming for a 2T field. This would imply that the sample volume is on the order of a couple of mm in diameter. This kinda rules out using the magnet for detecting liquid explosives in sealed containers (though a a larger Halbach array works nicely for that).

Lacking a mention of the homogeneity of the magnet, I'd wonder if the magnet would be capable of high resolution proton NMR, though the high field would be useful for Phosphorus or other biologically significant nuclides. With the small sample volume, the RF power requirements would be pretty modest, so it would be possible to make an easily portable NMR spectrometer using that magnet.

I happened to watch Mystery Men just before meeting Dr. Casanova, so can't help thinking of Casanova Frankenstein when I see his name.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge

@IvyKing

Uh, if you'd read the article pointed (or even previous comments) at you'd know the magnet was designed *specifically* to accommodate the standard 5mm MRI sample tubes with the level of homogeneity needed to run a scan.

Halbach arrays are a neat way to double the available field strength in a particular direction, although the Wikipedia (I know but I'm no magnet expert)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array#Uniform_fields

comments that there are *several* ways to design magnets with a high field through the core but near zero outside field (which should also mean a lighter magnet field shield needed to protect hard drives, body piercings etc from a powerful magnetic field and the "hilarious" consequence)) and a strict Halbach design requires a *continually* varying field vector as you go round the circumference. Impressing that field on a single hollow cylinder of magnetic material would be quite challenging from a mfg POV..

It *might* be a halbach (incidentally the article mentions that the ideal was originated in a 1973 paper). When people talk homogeneous properties in metals I think powder metallurgy using plasma assisted (low voltage, high current) sintering. Small grain size, quick (press times reduced from hours to minutes) so small uniform grain size retained and tight composition control.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti-Gravity

Hmmm.... wonder if these magets could be used to develop anti-gravity drives...

Flying cars here we come....

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

AC@09:49

"Hmmm.... wonder if these magets could be used to develop anti-gravity drives..."

No. Although the thrust to weight ratio of a good magnet (from an article on Halback arrays as it happens) is about 50:1. That's 5x the T/W of a jet engine and in low performance rocket engine territory.

As for anti gravity. Keep dreaming.

32. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

HHGTTG ?

anyone remember the improbability unit which was used to make womens undergarments jump 12 inches to the left ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like