back to article Web2.0rhea eclipses search in UK

Internet users in the UK are now officially more interested in talking about themselves than they are in learning about their world. The proof? According to Hitwise, during the month of May more UK web users visited social networking sites than they did search engines — a first. Hitwise UK social networking v. search engine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have to wonder

Perhaps some analog version of Web 2.0/social networking was the undocumented driver of the downfall of Rome. Too much scribbling about themselves, not enough battering of barbarian hordes.

1. Thecowking
      Coat

You could say...

their writing was on the wall!

I apologise profusely for that triple pun, I'll get me coat.

2. Ralph B

It's Probably Worse Than That

I expect that half the search engine accesses were people looking for the social networking sites.

3. Graeme 7
    FAIL

YouTube isn't a Social Network site!

YouTube should be in some other category such as Videos. Just because it has a comments section doesn't make it a Social Network site! All the comments are about the video, nothing about socially networking. If their definition of a Social Network site is that it has a comments section I certainly hope The Reg is also in that section making up the numbers, along with practically every other site on the internet.

So when you take YouTube completely out of the equation, and although Social Networking is big - it undoubtedly is - it probably still isn't as big as Search using this particular metric. Since of course you could also do this comparison using the number of pages seen, time spent on each site or even just the number of unique people who visit them. Which one actually defines who is biggest I don't know, since they all show different types of usage.

4. Elmer Phud

Social? You Tube?

"The reason we classify [YouTube] in our Social Networks and Forums category is because it has a lot of social capabilities"

Social? most comments are fairly anti-social and come from the minds of 13 yr old boys or older men with minds of 13 yr olds.

Are we seeing a trend where punters don't like the answers from search engines and prefer to rely on the scare stories and 'a friend of mine's uncle's doctor was speaking to a barman who reckoned . . ' .

sort of "It's too hard reading newspapers so I buy the Sun"

5. The BigYin

Search engines...

...do not teach you about the world, they merely lead you to the opinions of others about the world. Those opinions are often not based on fact*, prejudiced or pushing some personal agenda.

The only way to truly learn about the world is to get out from behind the screen and go see it.

*No, Wikipedia does not count as a reliable source

6. lee harvey osmond

Gosh this is interesting ...

... I must click the "post to Facebook" button immediately!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Social networking sites figures distorted by the terminally stupid

From many exchanges I've seen on social networking sites, there is a huge amount of traffic initiated by people too lazy (or stupid) to use search engines effectively (if at all).

In fact, just the kind of people you'd expect to find on Facebook, et al.

8. Dave Murray
    FAIL

Categories

YouTube isn't a search engine but then you can post reviews on Amazon and feedback on eBay, that doesn't make them social networking sites. You can't divide all websites into social networking or search. YouTube should be in some other category of useless time wasting crap.

9. CaptainBlue
    Paris Hilton

Is it just me...

...or does that graph look like a profile of an erect penis?

Paris, because she could probably tell

1. zenp
      Happy

...aye!

...clearly illustrating the point that social networking is one big self-referential circle jerk!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like