back to article British Library sinks beneath Strategy Boutique spam

Webinar: Monitoring holistic social media conversations There's always something uncomfortable about watching an ancient institution when it comes over all entrepreneurial; there's usually something dad-at-the-disco about it. But hats off to the British Library for attempting to channel some of the post-Falklands exuberance, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Number6

Positive Feedback

All those who think the life coach stuff is a waste of time and space will go elsewhere, thus leaving the field clear for said life coaches and their punters. If they've achieved critical mass then no one else is going to bother to subscribe.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing wrong with positive thinking

There is one thing which unites optimists and pessimists, they both get what they expect out of life.

Personally I believe positive thinking works, if you need to buy a book or spend money on a course to achieve it then maybe you're not ready for it.

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Terminology.

"I endeavour to remove spam-like posts."

Ah, I am forcibly reminded of Captain Cook's voyage of discovery in the good ship "Fuck that for a game of soldiers, what's on telly?"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LinkedIn...

... like any social networking site, is only as good as the people on it, and the areas within it only as good as the people contributing to them.

When everybody removes themselves from the BL's group, and there's literally nobody left in it but the spammers, it will die its own death; and then the BL will learn.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chris W

"I believe positive thinking works"

You can believe what you want, but until you present some evidence, you're just another idiot to me.

Of course, if you're sure of yourself, James Randi's got a million dollars with your name on it!

Strangely, nobody's managed to claim it yet...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

This is difficult because I don't want to honour your comment by replying but on the other hand I don't want you to think that your considered riposte has got me sulking under a stone. So this is me ignoring you.

6. Peter Simpson 1
    Happy

it all depends on your definition of "works"

For example: life coaching, self-help publications definitely "work" to make money for the coach or author. There is certainly no shortage of those who would partake of such services. Thinning the herd to extract those with the ability to pay is where the real skill comes in!

//think positive, now!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Oh no!

I've read your post, does that mean I have to pay you now?

AC for obvious reasons.

7. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Thinking positively?

That would be like all those annoying football adverts (esp. the betting shop one)? That would be me on EuroMillions draw night?

I rather suspect it will take more than "thinking positive", candles, incense, and carefully aligned pebbles.

Or maybe I'm not thinking positively correctly? Is this think positive in terms of "I will win" or in terms of +ve polarity? Should I suck a battery on Friday night? I really want to win the lottery and do sod-all with my so-called life, so I think this calls for a big meaty D-cell. Alkaline, as those rechargables might have current but they don't have voltage, and if we're thinking positive it's the amount that counts, right? So picture me, Friday night, with a D-cell stuck in my gob. Looking like something out of a really low budget sci-fi flick, but... will it work?

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Pint

It will!

(just may take a while)

That'll be 50 quid, please!

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

They seem to be positive value spammers, at least.

And why -not- help yourself?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

entitled

Hi, anyone tell me where el reg's twitterfeed is?

10. Andy Dent 2
    FAIL

Linked-in pathetic at spam reporting

Linked-in has no way to mark comments as spam and forces you to chase up the list owner who is the only person with authority to complain.

I have given up on most of the technical lists I subscribed to because of that low form of life known as the "Social Media Marketing Director".

11. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Positive thinking British-style

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Positive-Thinking/dp/B001KC0OZI

Should make anyone feel better. Except for alcoholics perhaps (last line, bad idea).

Alcohol free version at

http://www.morecambeandwise.com/morecambeandwise_songlyrics.aspx?s=4

Always finish on a song.

This topic is closed for new posts.