back to article Auction opens for rare single letter net domain

The auction of a rare single-letter domain – e.co – has just hit the interwebs, with bids reaching $16,500 in the first 90 minutes. The sale is advertised on the domain itself, with the name pitched as the potential “home to your e-commerce site, education site, entertainment site” or even “to showcase your company's plan to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Probably Most People...

...will assume a typo and type .com.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

surely

the recent opening of the top level domains to non-latin characters has massively devalued the "rare" single character names.

you could get a nice cheap alternative in è.co or é.co, ê.co ë.co etc

if you were feeling particularly frivolous, even ə.ɔo

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, but who knows how to type 'em?

Personally, though, I'd go for ░▒▓█▓▒░.com.

1. Steve Roper
        Coat

░▒▓█▓▒░.com

Suppose I wanted to tell a friend about your strangely-named new website: how would I pronounce that?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Boffin

Pronunciation

"░▒▓█▓▒░", obviously.

1. Steve X
            Coat

say "░▒▓█▓▒░"

Excuse me while I find a towel

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big deal?

I bought a single-letter domain like this myself a couple of years ago. Not by auction though - just through a registrar. It was by no means the last single-letter domain available in that specific ccTLD.... There are still odd ones around if you know where to look.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

scam

Oh look. An artificially scarce resource, abused by marketeers, conning gullible businesses into thinking it makes a jot of difference what their URL is.

The DNS is a marvellous construct run by conmen.

1. Steve Roper
      Stop

Yes, that was my attitude

until I ran into a cybersquatter who put his case very eloquently. His argument ran something like this:

"It's not a scam. It's as perfectly legitimate a business enterprise as real estate. There's a recognised market for domain names, that people are willing to pay for. Short, easy-to-remember domains are like shops on a high street; high-rent, because they get a lot of traffic. People do type in these domains just to see what's there, and that incidental traffic has a monetary value, just like the hundreds of cars seeing your high street shop as they drive past have monetary value. That's why you pay more rent for a shop on a main road, see? Now long, complicated domains are like shops in a back street. Those who look specifically for what you sell might know where to look, but you get no traffic, so it's worth less, see, just as a strip-shop in the 'burbs is worth less than one on a main road. You with me so far?

"OK, now, consider this. Suppose you were walking along one day, and you saw an empty shop in a row of shops on a main road where the rent is $500 a week. You inquire about it, and you find the shop is for sale - for $20. No scam, completely legit, legal title deeds and all - 20 bucks. Can you honestly tell me you wouldn't buy that shop at that price and rent it out for $500 a week if you had half a chance?"

I replied, "Well... of course I would." As you would.

He said, "Exactly. So now tell me how you buying that shop so cheap and leasing it for that 'extortionate' rent is any different from what I do as a domain investor?" (He didn't like the term 'cybersquatter')

I couldn't answer that. If anyone can, I'd be grateful to hear it.

5. Blake St. Claire

I'm waiting for ic.ky and s.in

when Cayman Islands and India open theirs for abuse.

6. Joe Montana
    WTF?

Ecommerce?

Having an ecommerce site appearing to come from a dodgy country like colombia is not going to do much to build credibility...

1. Code Monkey

.co

Reg readers know it comes from Colombia, most folks won't.

There was a fad for companies having .uk.co addresses a while ago. I doubt it was a good idea as people would assume a typo and go to their .co.uk equivalent - probably a competitor

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    FAIL

Come on...

Surely there isn't anyone out there still stupid enough to think that a fancy URL makes any difference to anything at all?

If/when this URL does sell, I'm hoping it does so for $1.

1. Marky W
      Grenade

Yeah!

I saved a packet by getting a cheap domain name for my start-up. Check out

www.2r494fncwwssr8-3243fs34.co.uk

A sure fire success!! Potential investors should .... (cont. p94)

1. MartinB
        FAIL

www.2r494fncwwssr8-3243fs34.co.uk

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.2r494fncwwssr8-3243fs34.co.uk/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.2r494fncwwssr8-3243fs34.co.uk

The dnsserver returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.

Check if the address is correct.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Unhappy

Well, arse

Serves me right for getting Peter F Young to set up the site. Although I got a great discount for paying in cash.

Drawing board. Back to.

1. Disco-Legend-Zeke

We Have A Buyer For www.2r494fncwwssr8-3243fs34.co.uk Willing...

...to pay $3,000,000 (tree millin Dollars) US for your domain.

Please send a deposit of $500 by Western Uinio to Moneybags@419ers.com

8. Alex Tajirian

Dot-co Goes Rogue

Relaxing registration requirements for dot-co, Colombia’s country code top-level domain (ccTLD), is value destroying.

The dot-co is what I call a “rogue” TLD. Unlike a signaling TLD, which adds value by steering traffic based on its implied message, a rogue TLD captures traffic: that is, a mistyped dot-com lands Web users on a site where they don’t want to be. Such a TLD is value destroying because it forces the owners of a large number of brand names or high-value generic domain names to register their domain names under dot-co. Moreover, generic.co domain names increase parked Web sites, thereby creating more useless information for search engines and human users to sift through. Furthermore, it dilutes the signaling of Colombia-related domain names.

On the other hand, TLDs such as dot-com, dot-tel, and dot-me have strong signaling value propositions. For example, .com has practically no substitutes for signaling a global brand. TLDs that signal location include country-code TLDs (ccTLDs) and some proposed TLDs such as dot-NYC (which signals New York City). TLDs that signal a particular business strategy include dot-outlet and dot-eco. The dot-tel has a strong use differentiation because it signals the brand owner’s alternative contact information, while dot-me is personal and reassuring, as opposed to the chilly dot-name, which is faceless.

Thus, TLDs fall into two categories: signaling TLDs and rogue TLDs. The latter are value destroying.

This topic is closed for new posts.