back to article Post Office finds new tech boss

The Post Office will make Yvonne Ferguson its new Chief Information Officer when the current holder Robin Dargue departs. The two have been working together and will continue to do so until the end of the month, when Dargue will join Alcatel-Lucent and Ferguson will take sole control, Computing reports. The Post Office is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You mean Royal Mail Group CIO

Post Office Ltd have their own Head of IT.

2. Blitz
    Megaphone

CIOs = Generally useless

How during this supposed credit crunch which has resulted in a huge liquidity crisis companies can continue to pay millions of £££ for CIOs is beyond me. I've worked in a number of large global corporates at fairly senior levels and have never seen a CIO do more than parrot what those below him/her have come up with.

Top tip Royal Mail Group. Can the £3.5m CIO. Encourage joint leadership of senior managers (at no additional pay) to lead the company based on the businesses needs. Use that extra money to keep fueling infrastructure investment, staff training and business improvements.

The days of charismatic leadership and corporate hero worship need to end. There is no mythical figure no hero that can lead a company from the red to the black. The only people that can achieve this are the employees themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Read more carefully.

The CEO got £3.5M and part of that was a negotiated exit package. The CIO salary wasn't revealed but won't be anywhere near that number

1. Blitz
        FAIL

So that's ok?

It's still £3.5m that could have better been spent elsewhere - your pedantry does nothing to question the validity what I've written.

1. Ascylto
          Big Brother

Pedantry?

Yet again you are wrong!

Yours was a factual inaccuracy.

3. John Tserkezis
    Thumb Down

Pfft. Who cares.

After what's been happening here in Australia, GBP3.5 mil (AU$6.1m~) is chicken feed.

For some here, they won't get out of bed before less than a AU$10m or so package.

Though it would be fair to say they've been in the banking sector, where the banks are making money hand over fist, the the users are losing more than ever. Global economic crisis? Never heard of it. Unless they're using it as an excuse to market yet another fee.

The next one in charge will be earning their money. They're going to have to justify new fees as something that's costing the bank. No more blatant rip-offs like last time. Can't get away with that anymore. Let's see if the new one can break the last package record...

And no, no amount of whining about it makes a difference here either.

4. Ascylto
    Big Brother

An example ...

of Royal Mail money-wasting.

We are a small business and use Royal Mail.

They telephoned us the other day to tell us our First Class mail rates remained the same. I told them we don't use First Class. Various keypresses in the background and she told us our Packetpost rates remained the same. I said 'Thanks, but you have already told us that in a letter!". To which she replied that they (Royal Mail) had to ring us as well.

And to think that Royal Mail once supplied HMG with millions of pounds profit each week!

This topic is closed for new posts.