back to article Google's $124.6m open codec hits Chrome dev build

Google has added the newly open-sourced VP8 video codec to the latest developer-channel build of its Chrome browser. The codec is already part of developer builds from Mozilla and Opera, and it was rolled into Chromium, the open source incarnation of Chrome, in late May. But this marks its debut in Chrome itself. Version 6.0. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged
    Stop

Not really

"The end result is that for the foreseeable future there will be two separate codecs used with the fledgling HTML5 video tag"

Hardly. There will be "almost everyone" using IE (own codec installed), Firefox, Opera and others, and 14 iPseuds running Safari. Same as now.

1. Pink Duck
      Boffin

Really?

I'm not sure <60% market share counts as 'almost everyone' any more.

1. dogged
        FAIL

Yes, really.

Even Mac users often/usually run Firefox. I'm pretty certain that Safari does not have >40% market share.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coat

Yes, really really

I've met the Safari desktop user, and he's a tedious sod. Probably best not to fret about him too much.

2. Johnny Canuck

slaps forehead

I could have had a VP8!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking forward to see if this becomes the new standard

FWIW, my iMac runs Firefox as my primary browser. I tried Chrome on the iMac, but that didn't work all that well. My Windows 7 desktop computer, on the other hand, uses Chrome as the primary browser. Safari, in my experience, hasn't been all that great. Especially on Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Safari on windows

Is a horrid horrid thing. Apple make horrid Windows software, Microsoft make dreadful MacOS software- don't cross the streams.

I post this after having just futzed with this browser -FF on win 7- to make sure that VLC plays stuff instead of quicktime. One of the reg's dodgy camera reviews was terminally slow to load a movie, and QT froze my browser while it was waiting. Had to kill the damn thing to be able to browse again.

4. Mikel
    Grenade

VP8 is now BSD licensed

That should put any concerns about open sourciness to rest.

Goodbye MPEG-LA.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Err, no

A source code license is entirely orthogonal to whether or not the algorithms embodied therein are in breach of any stupid software patents.

That said, I'd love some of whatever you're smoking- even if you are 100% wrong, your world sounds nicer.

5. Rex Alfie Lee
    Linux

My nose...

Steve Jobs: "I'll cut my nose off to spite my face if I want."

Man's a tool & so is his company. Eventually this will kill his progress but I for one couldn't care less.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like