back to article Synology DiskStation DS210j Nas box

Synology’s Disk Station 409 Slim was one of Reg Hardware’s favourite Nas boxes of 2009. With the DiskStation DS210j, the company addresses the needs of home users for around half the price of the Slim. An unpopulated device, the DS210j has two Sata drive bays with RAID support and more features than any hi-tech household could …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bassey

Sounds good

Sounds good (although I have to question why "offers more tech than any household will ever need" is a good thing) but that standby power rating seems appalling. 10W? Anything more than 2W on standby should be history by now, surely, especially for a device designed to run 24/7 - but spending the vast majority of that in standby mode.

2. dogged

Cool.

I wonder if it supports Mailstation?

1. gizmo23
      Thumb Up

Yes

According to Synology's "Compare Products" page it does support Mailstation. And wireless too.

I like the look of the DS210+ spec, includes eSATA and Wake on LAN. Wonder how much more it costs. And for those worried about power it comparison sheet lists Scheduled power on/ogg as a feature too.

2. Paul Webb
      Go

Says it supports Mail Station...

... on page 1 of the review:

"For business users, there is also a Server Backup tool and iSCSI Target support, plus Mail Station allowing users to run their own mail server."

3. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

Have the Synology DS109J

And it is excellent apart from the small internal memory.

It works a dream streaming content all over the house including to the PS3 and iTunes on the PC.

There are problems though using it with the Logitech Squeezebox radio so am looking for another portable audio device (like a radio) that I can stream music from my NAS, to.

Any suggestions?

4. Dabooka

Hi Aristotle

Been after a NAS for a while for my PS3, and now my wedding is out the way I can afford one! I wonder if it's possible to stream to the PSP too, solving your problem (and giving me another reason to buy!) or if the PS3 would have to be on. Which would be rather annoying.

PS Agree about the 10w in standby. Mine will be getting shut down at night, that's a tad high.

5. jonners

NAS Hunting

I have been hunting for a cheap NAS for some time and had it narrowed down to this or the Qnap TS-210 which seems similar but has double the RAM. Would be interested to see the Reg review that as well so I can get a side by side with the same benchmarks.

Else if anyone has the Qnap and could give opinions that would also be grand.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Qnap TS-210

I've got a Qnap TS-210 and its an awesome device. In fact when I read this review I was seeing definite similarities - including the interface to manage the device. Qnap have just released a Beta of their latest firmware which improves their Multimedia streaming options so that you can play your tunes via your iPhone through their Qnap iPhone app too. The Qnap TS-210 goes down to 7W in standby, but a very easy to use power management interface means you can easily power the unit on and off at set times when you know the device defintely won't be in use. Apart from being a very capable NFS/CIFS server, mine is running Squid, DHCP and DNS so I've got better control over wifi access than most wifi routers that get shipped with your broadband connection, ddns, Apache web server, Twonky Media Server for iTunes playback and if you've got a SqueezeBox it can stream to that too. Highly recommend the TS-210 and on face-value of this review, reckons it just edges above this device.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like