back to article Universal Tech MyXerver Pro MX3800

It was only a matter of time before someone thought of putting Wi-Fi connectivity into a network-attached storage (Nas) drive for small networks. Come to think of it, we must have thought of it at least three years ago, but at the end of last year, Universal Tech lay claim to being the first to bring the idea to market. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gglockner
    FAIL

Not the 1st

The Apple Time Capsule is indeed a wireless NAS. And many WiFi routers can behave as a NAS by adding a hard drive via the USB port.

2. Peter Galbavy
    Stop

not really

The Infrant (and now Netgear) stuff has supported USB wireless interfaces for some time. Perhaps this is the first with it built in, but not really a first.

3. Paul 25

No 802.11n?

That's a pretty big omission for something that is supposed to be a wireless NAS box.

I wouldn't want to use it as a backup box or start shunting big media files around.

4. Bassey

More Vapourware

Any chance this one might actually be released? I tried to buy the last MyXerver product you guys reviewed. Amazon had it as "Coming soon" for a few months and then cancelled it. As best as I could make out, it wasn't actually released. A quick Google suggests this is not available yet either. I hope this isn't more vapourware!

1. Matt Gerrish

The MyXerver MX3600?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/05/14/review_storage_network_ezy_technologies_myxerver_mx3600/ ?

I got one from Novatech - was advertised as a Novatech own brand NAS

To be honest, it wasn't the best purchase I've made.

The device ran extremely hot, and the user inteface resembled the early linksys efforts.

Also the fact that the device didn't allow telnet or SSH connections annoyed me.

5. Paolo Marini
    FAIL

yawn, been using (Apple) Time Capsule since years...

how dare they claim that it's a first??

Apple has been selling Time Capsule for years and it works just perfect for Mac, PC and Linux being a proper network server...

6. Tim Walker
    Linux

Email "dropbox"

Is there such a thing as a NAS box with a built-in mailserver, which can download emails for external accounts, and then serve them via IMAP to users on the home LAN?

Just wondered, as my hacked Linksys NSLU2 with Fetchmail/sendmail/Dovecot does this. It is unlikely to keep going indefinitely, and once it goes "phut", it would be nice if there was a NAS which could handle our internal emails the same way. (Or maybe it's just me who does this...)

Tux, 'cos my "slug" runs Linux...

7. Steve Oliver 1

Never mind the Apple box

The Via Artigo A2000 has an optional wi-fi module (if that counts) and has been around since late 2008. Could've sworn El Reg reviewed it but I can't find the article now.

8. CADmonkey
    FAIL

What planet have I landed on?

http://reviews.cnet.com/network-storage/iomega-storcenter-wireless-nas/4505-3382_7-31864836.html

...from 2006, ffs

9. batfastad
    Jobs Horns

Patent infringement

No I thought of this first, me me me!

I built a NAS box for my house about 5 years ago using a PCI wifi card. I've had to upgrade the drive capacity in it since then but still works great.

Should have patented it to stop these guys ripping my idea off!

Though I'm not sure they grant patents for the stupidly obvious

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

recommendation

maybe you can help me. I want to have a wireless nas preferably from netgear (because of the squeezeserver compatibility). I can't find any on their website, how could I achieve this - a link in an answer would suffice. - Thanks.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Inaccurate information...

DOES NOT contain an SU9600 CPU, I think they cost more than the entire 250GB unit.

The webiste lists "High Performance RISC processo" - yes I quote literally, there is no r on processor.

Also if it defaulted to 10/100 networking how did you manage 20MB/s read performance when the maximium theoretical over 10/100 is 12.5MB/s.

802.11g basically useless for file transfer unless you live in the middle of nowhere (so no contention in the airwaves) and sit right next to it... so maybe you achieve a bit of the theoretical 6.75MB/s.

It's most definitly not the first with wireless either. Close, but no cigar... it's one saving grace is the quietness. Better solution - get a decent router with N networking AND a decent NAS, and connect them via good old fashioned cable.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Not even remotly the first wireless NAS unit! Five years too late!

Yes, I had one of these in 2005.....

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/storage/68426/asus-wl-hdd-2-5

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like