back to article Dell to release first MID on 7 June

Dell will launch its Streak mobile internet device on 1 June - and UK cellco O2 has the exclusive. Whether that will endear punters to the Android-based, 1GHz Qualcom Snapdragon-powered, 5in touchscreen-equipped MID remains to be seen. An exclusive tie-in with O2 didn't appear to harm the iPhone's take up, though Palm's Pre …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ben Raynes
    WTF?

Yes, but...

... can you use it as a phone?

If so, then great - it's a big-ish mobile phone.

If not, then it's a bigger and less easy-to-pocket version of my HTC Desire that I can't use to make calls on, meaning I'd have to carry 2 devices round with me for no net gain except a *slightly* bigger screen.

If the market is for use 'at home' as an alternative 'net browser - i've got a 17" laptop that boots in 45 seconds to a web browser, and a desktop machine that's about the same speed. That's before I get as far as the Wii hooked up to my telly if I want to check something on IMDB quickly. Why would I use this? ESPECIALLY as i've always got my phone in my pocket, which is likely to be quicker to get to than anything else.

I suspect the only market for this will be people who have a bog-standard 'only makes calls' phone. But then, if they've only got one of those phones, odds are they don't give a toss about mobile internet...

Just like the iPad, I struggle to see the point.

2. Thomas 4

MIDs....

Sound like something that needs a course of antibiotics.

3. Stone Fox
    Thumb Up

looks nice.

Hope the build quality is higher than their PC's of the last few years.

Looking forward to a review.

4. ShaggyDoggy

Dell doesn't seem to know about this

Even searching their website for "streak" brings up nothing.

Says it all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's the details that count

Dell have done an okay job on this, but as usual they've skimped on the design. Those Home and Back icons are the wrong orientation when you hold the machine in portrait format. It's a little thing, but you just know Steve J wouldn't let that happen. Okay he wouldn't let a machine out the door with THREE buttons on the front...

6. Jamie Kitson

Stupid Question

Does a "mobile internet device" work as a phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yep

its also a phone, can be used in the normal fashion or via blue tooth....

7. KitD
    Thumb Up

Video here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10146000.stm

This looks pretty cool. I prefer this sort of thing than something that is primarily a phone with extra smartness attached. I had a look at the Archos Internet Tablet, but reviews are mixed.

Price will be the biggest factor for me.

8. fLaMePrOoF
    Stop

Full circle..

Is there something new here? We had PDAs and mobile phones, then the two merged into smart phones and the PDA market all but dissapeared...

Now, however, people again seem to want mobile devices which are NOT phones, (at least Apple would have us think so), so we're back to PDA's, except they're now called MID's because the use cases and platforms are narrower, (i.e. they actually do LESS), although some of them will have 3G and eventually 4G connectivity - but they're NOT phones...

I for one am fed up with being told what I want and need by an industry constantly struggling and failing to re-invent their markets.

9. Colonel Mad
    Jobs Horns

A Song for Dell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUIu03s3oNY

10. The First Dave

untitled

What the hell is that panel on the back?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and the answer is......

that would be acces to the battery, sim, memory card, location

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the streak

is pretty nice device actually i've used one for a few minutes, its got a good feel to it and the OS skin is pretty good, pity its 1.6 and not 2.2 out of the box but thats to come also i believe....

key thing will be price, with or without data plan......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like