back to article Fake joke worm wriggles through Facebook

Shifty sorts have created a new worm which spread rapidly on Facebook on Friday. The malware, for now at least, does nothing more malicious than posting a message on an infected user's Facebook wall that point to a site called fbhole.com. Nonetheless, the speed of its spread on the social networking site has net security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John F***ing Stepp

I tried to explain 'mousetrapping' to someone last week.

I was accused of saying that every 'get rich quick work at home thing' was a scam.

There is some truth in that accusation.

There is always some truth in everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

2 points:

1. How many markers did you have to sniff before you started typing such gibberish?

2. All 'get rich quick work at home things' ARE scams.

2. Colin Miller
    FAIL

fake dialog box givaway...

It's a bit of a give-away that a machine running (what appears to be) the keramic2 KDE theme is displaying a dialog box using WinNT4/Win95/Win98 style decorations...

Don't most people use WInXP teletubbie theme or Vista7 theme by default now anyway?

3. adnim

try not to laugh... I'm falling about laughing.

"try not to laugh xD http://www.fbhole. com/omg/allow.php?s=a&r=[random number]"

People click on links like this?

I wonder how many FB users would click on such a link were it inside an unsolicited email.

What makes them dispense with all common sense when such links appear in FB?

It only confirms my suspicions regarding the level of quick witted foresight possessed by the average FB user.

4. Mos Eisley Spaceport
    FAIL

Ahh Facebook users

There's a new bunch born every second.

Just don't click sheeple!

Better still, just don't join FB.

5. Doshu
    Happy

Worms Czech in

But they don't check out.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And another one

Its "Distracting Beach Babes" now:

http://youropenbook.org/?q=Distracting+Beach+Babes&x=17&y=12

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

There's another one out there at the moment as well

"How to hook up with a girl in 15 minutes" directs to a page saying "click here to continue" which adds itself to your "Likes" page when you 'click here'

Don't click anything on the interweb, ever, anywhere..

8. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

facebook has its place

facebook has its place in the interwebs. It is a ideal playground for people who are sick of the elitists who constantly bash the less than perfect general jo public that use the interwebby these days....

The pricing of broadband and of low cost computers has pushed the use of networked computers into the lower educated households. When tied with the ease of use of the current batch of windows operating systems and how simple it has been made to set up a PC... (colour coded plugs and sockets, dammnit, if the shape is not a good enough give-away). The usual class divides are brought together,

in the past, the upper class used to live higher up the hill, they had there own 'gentlemen’s clubs' and the WI. At the bottom of the hill there was working-men clubs. the two classes never really met except for church on Sundays, but even then the upper classes had the front rows. Off the children went to the private grammar schools and universities where they got to play with the new computer systems. The people at the bottom end of the hill never got a look in.

Now as computers have got so cheap that the people at the bottom of the hill can afford them, the snobs and computer geeks do not like it that they have to share the sandpit.

This snobbery went on when I was at school, the only school was halfway up the hill so the two cultures were forced together. I had a computer, a zx spectrum 48k, None of the other kids in the yard who had computers and used to stand around in there own little group would believe that I had a computer... I was from the bottom end of the hill.... I had to bring my computer to school to show them before they would believe me... even then, they all said it was probably the cheaper 16k version.... still, they let me stand in the group with them... BUT, not a single one of the tapes that were passed around to copy came my way, nether the less, being part of this informal group i learned the basics of computing and as I had no software I had to program my own this in turn gave me the ability to build my home a little higher up the hill... (I wouldn’t want to be higher up the hill with all the two faced snobbery)

now this snobbery continues as the masses joint the information superhighway..... the facebook generation get abused by the elitist snobs. they sneer an look down there noses at the facebook generation. I have a facebook account, and proud of it. I get to keep up with friends and family. I keep myself and my family 'safe' using the knowledge i have learned over the 30 years i have worked with computers.

For all those anti facebook snobs, worms and virus were around long before facebook and in the past those virus and worms were a lot less sophisticated than they are now but at some point we have all fell for one or two of them.... Most of the less technical savvy people I know that use facebook are to afraid to use credit/debit cards online banking and the rest of it, so what risk are they running online? a corrupt os? a slow computer? big deal..... what is your level of online risk....

9. Anthony 13

Now it WOULD be funny ...

... if a Malware/Virus/Worm/* writer could write the bad stuff AND write a funny joke!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@anon coward

"facebook has its place in the interwebs. It is a ideal playground for people who are sick of the elitists who constantly bash the less than perfect general jo public that use the interwebby these days...."

Err no. Facebook is a playground for egocentrics and people suffering from HPD who have to be the centre of attention no matter what and genuinely think that the mundane details of their tedious lives are of interest to other people. At first Facebook may have had some normal people on it who were just playing around with a new toy , but they all gew up and left. Now its just the haunt of people who don't have any real friends so they can't even email them, never mind phone up or visit them so they lurk on facebook basing their self worth on the number of other facebook loser phony friends they can notch up.

1. jjbd

enough of this

Boltar, and everyone else who posts this stuff; how much do we need to wade through? Seriously, every story about Facebook?

You may want to medicalise the motivations of the enormous number of entirely ordinary people who use Facebook; but it's blindingly obvious that for the most part they use it alongside living a healthy life. Do you know that many more people, representing a broader cross-section of humanity, use Facebook than post on the Reg with flame icons (or, indeed, reply to such posts)?

I, and many others here, are interested in Facebook's security issues for a whole host of reasons. This being the Register, one of those is because we develop apps for the site; I imagine others are interested in the security issues as it impinges on the network and users they manage.

So please - please - can you avoid sinking all Facebook threads under this kind of garbage? Since you can't be posting here either for reasons of egocentrism or HPD, perhaps you can look on the ream of similar comments that have been posted on this board for years as having sufficed to get across the point of view you represent.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: enough of this

Everyone look at jjbd's work. He is doing it right.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@jjbd

"So please - please - can you avoid sinking all Facebook threads under this kind of garbage?"

Why when its true?

"Since you can't be posting here either for reasons of egocentrism or HPD,"

An online discussion is the complete opposite to something like facebook. Facebook is the preserve of the "please like me" crowd. An online discussion usually attracts the "I don't care what you think , these are my views" crowd.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like