back to article Oracle punts first VirtualBox x64 hypervisor

VirtualBox made the cut in the wake of the acquisition of Sun by Oracle back in January, and Wednesday marked the first release of what is now called Oracle VM VirtualBox. With VirtualBox 3.2 (and no one is ever going to call it Oracle VM VirtualBox, so let's get that straight), the software engineers have tweaked the type 2 ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott K
    Thumb Up

Also

It also runs Snow leopard under win 7 on an AMD machine :P

2. jmargaglione

Oracle VM is not a Red Hat Xen clone...

...and it never was. You are thinking of Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is a direct recompilation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Oracle Support instead of Red Hat Support.

3. Peter Kay

Has it stopped sucking yet?

Has it stopped sucking yet, or are they continuing their theme of adding new features and not bothering about basic stability? The statement that it runs everything is a complete lie.

I might bother to try the new release, but so far I'd much rather run VMWare's product set than VirtualBox.

1. Oninoshiko

Virtualization

I have never had that many problems with it insofar as stability goes, although the performance has (historicly) been rather disappointing. I have not tried this release, as I am already commited to VMWare ESXi (Type 1), Linux VServers and Solaris Zones (OS Level), and Citrix XenAPP (Application Virtualization).

The largest reason for my commitment to VMWare and Citrix is that clients ask for it. An adiquate solution that they want, is going to make me more money then a excellent solution I have to sell. What can I say? I like making money, and NOONE has EVER come to me asking if I can host VirtualBox.

4. John Sanders
    Linux

VM is great but...

What I'm getting desperate about is for a headless version like the free (as in beer) "VMWARE Server ESX".

In my opinion is the only thing which I miss in VirtualBox, and the only thing holding a much deserved adoption rate.

From time to time, I have to build virtual machines for small customers, and they will be much better served by Virtualbox.

1. Cody

you can do headless

You can do headless. Its in the user guide. Command line only.

1. Steven Raith
        Thumb Up

Headless = very good

Terribly handy for test environments for web development - install three copies of Windows, one with IE6, one IE7 and one IE8 under a headless Ubuntu/Virtualbox system - then just RDP to them using different RDP ports from Virtualbox itself, rather than the guest OSs RDP server.

Works a treat, and just needs one Core2Duo machine with a few gigs of RAM.

I do like virtualbox, but I tend to use XenServer for anything requiring stability - Layer1 hypervisors for the win.

Steven R

2. John Sanders
        FAIL

I knew already

In Linux I can do some init.d scripts to start stop VM's, also it is more complicated for you to check D-BUS signals as to when the computer is shutting down than it is for VBOX developers to write some blob to do it.

But what about Windows? A similar approach to the "VMWARE server ESX" is more desirable. Shall I make my own service to start stop VM's?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are the going to support PPC?

Would love to put this PowerPC G5 I have here to good use to run Windows in VM or something.

Please?

1. Arnold Lieberman

Never going to happen

Just isn't.

2. /dev/null
      Boffin

PPC?

You want an x86 emulator for that, not a hypervisor. Something like Bochs. Results will probably be disappointing though.

3. sproot
      Joke

You forgot the Joke Alert

Good use / Windows. It was a joke, right?

6. Dom 3
    Thumb Up

Personal use includes commercial use

Oracle have not changed the generous licence terms either. You can use it for business purposes, as long as it's still "personal use":

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ

And even then, if you want to make a large-scale commercial deployment, you can forgo some features and use the FLOSS version.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like