back to article GMTV suspends competitions, axes telco

GMTV promised today it would reimburse viewers who made fruitless calls to its premium rate competition lines. The breakfast TV channel cum sofa showroom said it had only become aware that some callers had no chance of ever actually making the winner's shortlist when it was contacted by the BBC's investigative programme …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave

"GMTV, which is a friend to people in the morning.”

Perhaps that is why thier website has tons of links to gambling sites and loan companies?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"GMTV, which is a friend to people in the morning".

I don't charge my friends £1.80 when they phone me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No chance?

A similar scam has been run by newspaper bingo for years.

Almost all cards issued are "losing cards" that is they contain "losing numbers" which will never be selected. A small number of "winning cards" are issued and the distributor knows where they are sent to.

The system is set so that a lot of people appear to be only a few numbers off winning even though they will never really win because they have a losing number.

One reason they do this is to keep printing costs down. If everyone had a different card it would cost more. So instead they print out thousands of identical losing cards in a batch.

A few years back one of the tabloids by mistake printed an incorrect set of numbers which included a losing number. The result was that several thousand people won that week.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like