back to article Costa Rican elbows out South African as UN climate boss

A Costa Rican bureaucrat is set to take the top job at the United Nations climate convention after a mini-revolt from small island states. South African Tourism Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk was in line for the post until the intervention from several smaller countries asking for a representative from a smaller developing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. G R Goslin

What a relief.......

....to have someone so obviously unbiased at the top of the organisation

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Yes, I know

Assuming this is sarcasm, might I venture a seriously question about who *wouldn't* have a bias when it comes to global warming/deforestation/reducing water table/species loss/overfishing/human overpopulation/habitat loss etc etc?

Until such time as something like Iain Bank's "Culture Minds" take over the running of things, I'll wager we'll continue to make selfish decisions, or be too afraid to make the decisions that actually count, or too paper-work-bound (the EU being the worst) to actually get these decisions enacted.

Until then, 'Gaia' is royally boned.

Aliens, 'cos they're up there pointing and laughing.

1. G R Goslin

@Yes I know

I'd prefer irony to sarcasm, but to me, a prime requisite for someone in such a post is an open mind, and as far as I have been able to deduce, there are no "open minds" in the UN Climate Change business.

2. Alan Esworthy
    Paris Hilton

Extra duties?

If she's to be UN chief of matters involving *anthropogenic* climate change she might as well be given oversight of phlogiston and phrenology matters.

[PH cuz she may feel the bumps on my head any time she likes]

3. asiaseen

No conflict of interest then

From her CV:

2009-10 Senior Advisor, C-Quest Capital, carbon finance company

4. Raving
    WTF?

Maurice Strong + UPEACE

Maurice Strong + University for Peace (UPEACE) in Costa Rica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Strong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_for_Peace

This topic is closed for new posts.