back to article 'Kryptonite' discovered in Serbia

A new mineral whose composition almost exactly matches that of Superman-felling kryptonite has been unearthed in Serbia by mining company Rio Tinto. The mineral was identified by researchers at the Natural History Museum, and Canada's National Research Council. Mike Rumsey, mineral curator at the Natural History Museum, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Markie Dussard

Wikipedia Superman entry not definitive?

Surely not.

I thought Wikipedia was now the definitive repository of all knowledge in the world. According to the relentless, unquestioning media puffery that goes on elsewhere, it would seem to have supplanted Brittanica some time ago. Brittanica fails by being peer reviewed by experts in their field, of course, whereas Wikipedians are free to invent their own reality.

Or perhaps the kryptonite at the heart of the Hivemind IS real ... in a metaphorical way ...

2. malle herbert

Was it the green or the red version ?

I was just wondering if it also had a trace amount (0.0001%) of an unknown substance in it, just like the real deal ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just like kryptonite

So this new mineral is JUST like kryptonite - except its white not green, doesn't glow, doesn't form large crystals AND it has a different chemical formula.

Cynics might think this is a press release puffing up a fairly unexciting article in a geology magazine, but me?

I'd like to take the spirit of this news story in making my own announcement that (with one or two minor differences) I am the spitting image of Brad Pitt.

Ladies?

4. William Donelson

Intelligence discovered in Hollywood ! (NOT)

What a load of rubbish.

5. Scu

Re: Mike Richards ~ Brad Pitt?

You're looking for the type of "lady" that reads El Reg?

PS. Anyone know the PFY's real name??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scu asked: 'You're looking for the type of "lady" that reads El Reg?'

Hey I've seen 'The Net' and Hollywood tells me that there are legions of Internet whizzes who just happen to be women looking like Sandra Bullock. Where else, but el Reg would they get their computer news?

I rest my case.

7. adam

Jadarite!? What an uninspired name.

You would think that if he was going to trumpet the whole superman/kryptonite connection he could have come up with a better name. Even if he couldn't use kryptonite, he could have come up with something that would have been a superman reference.

Something like Jorelite, Kalelite, or Luthorite wouldn't have been that hard to think up.

8. Spike Ravenscroft

Present and correct...

I'm one of those fabled woman who reads El Reg but I think I’ll wait for further empirical evidence before I accept your classification as being ‘the spitting image of Brad Pitt.’

Especially if you’re basing this on information from Wikipedia!

This topic is closed for new posts.