back to article Where to use Remote Access

The ability to remotely access computers has become a ubiquitous tool used by individuals ranging from systems administrators to roaming business users and the proverbial Aunt Tilly. This is not about accessing the hosted services of a computer (such as a webpage) remotely, but rather remotely accessing the graphical user …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. voodooray

RDP Client Alternative

RDP is great, and this tool allows you to manage them all within a nice tabbed interface with extended bookmarking facilities:

http://www.avianwaves.com/tech/tools/rdtabs/

2. GregC

Teamviewer

We use it for support daily, and I have to agree with all of your observations - in general, it is excellent, especially when it comes to working through firewalls. The pricing model is also reasonable for the commercial license.

There is one issue that we have with it however - Telnet. Not there* This is a real hassle for us, as a lot of the units we support are public kiosks, and being able to do stuff on them without disturbing the UI at the other end is really useful. In every other respect it's brilliant, but this is a big downer for us.

*Cue someone telling me I'm and idiot and it's been there all along....

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

Telnet not there

Could you be more specific as to what you are seeking regarding telnet? Are you trying to get Teamviewer to operate over Telnet, (sort of like X11 in SSH?) I'm pretty sure that's not possible, as I don't think Telnet can encapsulate other protocols like that.

If you are trying to get Teamviewer to present you with a Telnet terminal (instead of the GUI,) I am not sure they have that feature available. I agree though, combining Teamviewer's "I can punch a hole through any firewall" with simply presenting you a command line that doesn't impinge upon the console GUI would be fantastic. Maybe it’s something they haven’t though of; have you considered submitting a feature request?

1. GregC

Option 2

As per the title - the second option, a terminal in place of the GUI. Very handy, as you say - we used to use Radmin which has the feature, but the pricing and all the other features of Teamviewer beat it hands down, it's just missing this one feature...

We have submitted a request, but haven't received much in the way of a positive response (which as an aside, is not the norm - their support has generally been extremely good when we've needed it)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

Solution

Teamviewer VPN and psexec from the free sysinternals toolset

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Telnet

Have a look at the VPN section of the Teamviewer manual. Although I've not tried I don't see why you couldn't create a vpn, then telnet to the box you're trying to connect to, assuming it actually listens on a telnet port.

http://www.teamviewer.com/download/version_4x/teamviewer_manual.pdf

if it doesn't, but it runs RDP you could RDP to a command line over the Teamviewer VPN. So use teamviewer to get the network connectivity, if it's not routable from where you are (or firewalled) then RDP to the cli to issue commands without disturbing the gui.

1. Peter W.
        Stop

RE: Telnet

The only real problem there would be in the cases of doing Desktop Management, where you don't want to interfere with the GUI... the minute you RDP in you're going to interfere with the GUI unless they are running Windows Server (highly unlikely for a Desktop system given the licensing costs).

3. Neil Dawson
    Thumb Up

CentraStage does it for me for laptops

I use CentraStage for all laptops that spend any time out of the office especiialy if the user is struggling with VPN (or perhaps just daily life).

Amoungst other things it uses RDP and VNC to share screens and does software and patch auditing too.

£1 a month per device. Just great.

[No I don't work for them but I think their product is great]

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

@Neil Dawson

Never heard of it. Sounds neat though...time to look it up!

4. TeamViewer

TeamViewer and Telet

Thanks Trevor for your comparison of VNC, RDP and TeamViewer. We are glad to be one of the mentioned state of the art solutions.

@ GregC: Thanks for your positive review on TeamViewer.

Concerning Telnet and being able to work with TeamViewer in the background - we avoided this on purpose. To maximize security for admin and client is one of our main aims. Therefore each party clearly can see that there is an active session ongoing.

However there is a point in your use case as well so I'll pass this along to our product manager. Maybe we'll find a solution for it.

Best,

Constantin

TeamViewer GmbH

This topic is closed for new posts.