back to article Samsung NX10

Samsung has upped its game in the camera market with the release of the NX10. It’s the company’s first ever EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens) model – a hybrid DSLR that takes on the optional lenses compact camera market and directly challenges the successful Micro Four Thirds cameras from Olympus and Panasonic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Very very tempted

But I am a bit concerned about investing in a new, tied-in, single-source lens mount. If we could be sure that 3rd party lenses and adaptors were to be available, then I'd be scaring the moths from me wallet now.

The results from your sample shots verge on stunning

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

The results from your sample shots verge on stunning

I'd have a good look around a few more picture sites if I were you! I am not that impressed, and feel that the sample shots say more about the photog that the tool..

1. John 62

bring back

the blue door and the cathedral!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Try looking here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMDB/compare_cameras.php

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Meh

So close, Samsung. The body is quite nice, and the price great- nothing that better firmware (the focus zoom issue etc) couldn't fix. However, why didn't they get someone decent to make the lenses? The ones currently available are horrible- as bad as, if not worse than low-end Canon kit lenses (i.e. unusuable). The pancake is pretty decent, and makes it a good aps-c street shooter for a lot less than a Leica X1, I suppose, but that's where it ends.

Right now, if you want something of this ilk, the GF1 with Oly lenses seems like it's in a different league for quality, albeit slightly more pricey. Handles better, too.

If decent lenses can be made to meter and autofocus well on this body with an adaptor, it might be interesting, but right now, silly Samsung are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Re: very tempted... above

I'm with Mr Harvey and the other AC on this.

This design could do for Samsung what the original OM1 did for Olympus in the 1970's. Hugely successful and excellent design and innovation let down a bit by the early lenses. Lots of people bought an OM1 and stuck a Vivitar Series One on the front. Maybe we should look forward to their "OM2 moment", which will be the version that does 1080p video and uses external mics.

They must have thought about the risks of a different lens mount - but Vivitar and Tamron dealt with proprietary lock-in decades ago - and I reckon Samsung must have had a sensible chat with their favourite indie lensmakers before they got too far on with this.

It's a very good thing they still believe in eye-level viewfinders.

4. pawatan
    WTF?

No way

There's already a ton of proprietary mounts; Samsung expects someone to invest in theirs? You don't buy a camera body, you buy a system - Samsung doesn't HAVE a system.

Regarding the "superior" APS-C sensor - tons of working pros and serious amateurs make great images with the 4/3 sensors. Perhaps if you really needed high-ISO performance (such as a sports professional) you might need a larger sensor but then again you wouldn't be buying a Samsung + kit lens, would you?

The beauty of the Micro 4/3 system is that it is easy to use well-established lens systems (4/3 mount) with full AF/AE control (via adapter) and hundreds of other lenses in MF mode, all made by camera companies with decades of experience. Perhaps if Samsung had hitched its wagon to an established mount it would have a chance but with a proprietary mount? No way.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pricey

Seems a little pricey compared to a proper dslr like an Eos500, I dont see the advantage of haveing sensor and screens always on! it'll eat batteries!! and a monopoly on lenses is always a concern... Oh well not for me...

Was that a sneaky self portrait in there with the sample images? or just a familiar face?

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

micro 4/3 ?

Not sure I see the link with micro4/3 , that standard is supposed to let you have compact cameras with interchangeable high quality lenses - like the original Leica rangerfinders.

This is just another EVIL with it's own propriety lens mount for the same price as an entry level Canon/Nikon/Olympus DSLR

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

This link, I'd imagine

Is that it's a similar size, price, and marketed at the same sort of people- cunning, huh?

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Proprietary lenses

There's no way someone should go for a system where you spend loads of money on lenses for a mount system that could be dead a few years later.

You'll lose more money than buying a high end BMW and selling it on used.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Hybrid SLR

To be a little pedantic here, surely it either is or isn't an SLR, and if it doesn't have a reflex mirror then it isn't an SLR! It's kind of in the name!

9. Brian 6
    Flame

So called Photographers...

"Although this new Samsung is capable of handling massive RAW files (25MB) I could not test the quality of these as the NX10’s RAW files are not yet compatible with Photoshop and Lightroom and shamefully Samsung’s own RAW workflow software is only compatible with Windows and I, like millions of others photographers, use a Mac. Iridient Digital's RAW Developer does allow Mac users access to NX10 RAW files but at a cost of £89" 89 quid is not a lot to pay. I take it your copy of photoshop is pirate then ?. Millions of mac owning photographers ? Not here m8. And lastly pixel density was never the root cause of noise, why do so many twats think it is ?? Thats why small sensor cameras like the finepix F30 leave this for dead at 800 ISO.

10. Paul Smith

Surprise result

80% yes? For that sort of money you can get a proper Nikon or Canon DSLR system that will outperform this in every single catagory. How does this deserve 80%?

11. Steve 6

3FPS: good, but with focussing between shots?

Does the quoted 3FPS include focussing between shots?

A great advantage of DLSR is that you can compose and auto-focus the next shot while the previous photo data is being read off the sensor, thanks to the separate AF sensor and mirror. This is a must for action shots.

What does this EVIL do? Do you have to wait for the previous photo data to be clocked off before you can compose and auto-focus? If so, run a mile! If not, EVIL will quickly displace real DLSR.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like