back to article Google sets sights on the dashboard

Google is reportedly in talks with General Motors about putting Android into cars, allowing remote unlocking and startup while rendering GM's OnStar product redundant. Motor Trend, reporting the talks, reckons that last part might prove a sticking point for the companies, as OnStar has been quite a success for GM. But the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hplasm
    Stop

Windows in a car?

F*ck Me. I thought that was just the premise of an old joke...

Stop. Coz there's no Crash icon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

is that the...

One where you hit something and the airbag says "Are you sure you wish to deploy? Yes/No"

1. Wize

This one?

http://www.microbizz.nl/generalmotors.htm

2. Spikehead
    Terminator

BSOD / Force Close

Two things you don't want to happen to your dash.

"Sorry officer, I don't know how fast I was going, my dashboard crashed"

Terminator coz it's one step closer to our machine overlords!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Sounds Grrreat

Sounds great, until the first time it reboots at 70mph that is. (admittedly more a worry with a Windows car...)

4. Code Monkey

Beta

"Do you realise you were doing 50mph in a 30mph zone?"

"Oops, sorry officer, my speedo's a beta."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Voice add-on

If it comes with a KITT voice add-on, google can have all my data's.

6. Alex King
    Alert

Oooh, touchscreen....

That's a good idea - poking your hand through the steering wheel while driving. I already know someone who crashed because they were trying to reset their trip computer while cornering...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet again

Again on the register a collection of ridiculously childish comments, not focusing on the actual product that has been discussed, but stereotypes of products that are a decade old.

Having used Fiat's Blue&Me which is the Fiat version of Ford's system, its excellent. On Fiat's its standard on most models, and allows pretty much any MP3 player to be plugged in, works seamlously with all phones and hasn't had a problem in over two years of owning the car.

Furthermore, the updates while they do require a USB flash drive to install, take only a couple of minutes and allow for useful analysis tools such as Fiat's eco drive, all coded for a windows environment so a wide range of developers capable of making applications for it.

But clearly, keep on slating it and just sticking with those stereotypes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Yeah, right

"a collection of ridiculously childish comments, not focusing on the actual product that has been discussed, but stereotypes of products that are a decade old."

...because Microsoft products never, ever crash nowadays, do they? Unlike Ford cars.

It's always good to read posts with a sense of humour. Pity yours wasn't.

AC, because it's cool.

8. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Complex software on dahsboards!

"I'm sorry we are unable to change gear as your administrator level password was incorrect. Please contact support to reset this password."

"Current time: 1136pm GMT. Lights have been disabled due to license expiration. Please contact Support to discuss license renewal."

Hold on I have dozens of these!

1. AceRimmer

Complex software on dahsboards!

This application has failed to start because brakes.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

1. Code Monkey

Could be worse

This car has failed to stop because brakes.dll was not found.

@ the poster above: Yes it's childish. Are you new here?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's an idea. It's just not a good idea.

(Excuse me for stealing that line).

10. Fred Tourette
    Thumb Up

This Could Get Me Back

Ford lost the potential of ever getting me as a customer once they got into bed with Microsoft, but GM lost me as a long-term customer thanks to the recent shyte they've been bullding. Between things looking up in terms of quality at GM, plus their (maybe) choosing Google over the Beast, I may look at the brand again.

1. Code Monkey

Try Renault

No doubt they're doing something quirky, like Haiku OS :)

11. g e

Hehe yes Cardoze is real

"You appear to be having a serious accident would you like to deploy the airbag?"

!!!! *Y*E*S* !!!!

"You have chosen to deploy the airbag, please restart your car for changes to take effect..."

12. Simon B
    Heart

Sorry officer, my dashboard blue screened!!

Sorry officer, no I don't know what speed I was doing, my dashboard blue screened and I couldn't stop unitl my dashboard had rebooted!

13. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Yet Again

A car that allows an MP3 player to be plugged in? RLY?

We have a cassette player and a convertor. About £2.50 for the fake tape / mic jack. What's the premium for your dashboard?

I see some value in typing in "nearest McDonalds" and getting directions to it, with Street View providing the images. However ads for every bloody business as you pass them would be annoying.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

why do i need a title?

My mate already has something along these lines on his phone. He paid something like £25 for a dongle to attach to his Seat and software on his Desire and he can do some engine monitoring and things like that.

Beer because he told me about it in the pub! (hence i can't remember the exact details)

15. Eddy Ito
    Coat

Don't forget boats...

Does this mean boats will get the Dock from a Mac?

16. Daren Nestor
    FAIL

Touchscreen?

Seems like a poor idea. My own car has some limited control functionality on the steering wheel (i.e. change radio station, volume and phone answering) but you should never be distracted by having to use a control panel, never mind a touchscreen. And a touchscreen dash doesn't really make sense to me - surely the touchscreen should be on the center column (the dash should give you a very limited set of important information for driving - speed, revs on a manual, and some status lights). You WANT people concentrating on the road, right?

Also, it's "free rein", which, like rein in, is a horsey based phrase meaning to power ahead. Reign means something rather different, and after a few minutes trying to come up with an amusing meaning for free reign and only coming up with silly "google lords it over your stuff but pays nothing" lamess, I'm going to give up!

17. Raz

I have one as well

I have a Ford with Sync and it never crashed on me :) Anyway, it's just the entertainment system it controls, not the ECU. Check what software is Toyota using, what with all that unintended acceleration.

By the way, I love Microsoft as much as the next person around here.

18. crypt
    Linux

imagine

>>my_pc$ ssh mycar@192.168.8.45

>>mycar$

>>$ ./ignition...................................................

..............................................................started

>>$ vlc /music/playlists/driving_rock.m3u

19. Wize

Sometimes they make them too smart

I have driven the odd car where the old style switches (like an indicator that clicks into position) is replaced by a self centring stick that momentary contacts a button to turn a function.

One example, I was trying to flash my indicator for a second to show I was changing lane but not turning right. I'd normally hold it up for a flash or two. This Ford wanted to hold them on longer and pushing the stick in the other direction only turned them off to indicate in the other direction.

I hated borrowing that car, but have driven a new Astra with a better implementation of it.

When they start messing about with things, they stop them from working the way users like to use them. EG, there was talk of disabling the controls on a satnav while the car is in motion. My other half sets mine sometimes while I'm driving and I like to have the thing off near home as I know how to get to the motorway thankyouverymuch.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like