back to article BEA rejects Oracle bid

Oracle has made a surprise $6.7bn bid for middleware developer BEA Systems. The database giant has tabled $17 per share in an all-cash bid, a 25 per cent premium on yesterday's closing price. It comes just days after Oracle's bitter German rival SAP said it would lay down $6.7bn for Business Objects. BEA has become something …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Title

Always had a soft spot for BEA weblogic, but websphere and open source have done a lot of catching up over the past few years.

3. Sean Buckley
    Boffin

Cognos next?

If SAP gets Business Objects.

Oracle doesn't seem to think much of its own products when it keeps buying superior competitive offerings.

After what they did with JBuilder, the only thing I'd buy from Oracle is the database, but then there are other equally capable databases out there that Oracle simply can't buy.

b.t.w. you missed the most devilish icon possible, Larry!

4. Jonathan Battle

re Does it mean Ora is ready to dump OC4J etc?

- yes

- re it's a good thing

- yes

- PS this is news? Ora has wanted to replace their broken AS with WebLogic since ever. BEA may dispute the $ number, but the deal is obviously sensible.

- Q: How many SAP-groupies exist who are also BEA customers?

5. Jason Pepper
    Alien

What a spiffing idea..

buy another app server and then try integrating it with all the other products you've already failed to integrate.. can't wait to see how they position weblogic and it's integration points with the legacy technology that 60% of oracle customers still use...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see why

Forgive my anonymity but I like my job...

I'm guessing that they want Business Objects primarily for Crystal Reports (which actually looks like Microsoft made it - BO probably thought MS would buy it).

Oracle have also just bought Lodestar, which has been making in-roads in the energy software market. Good luck. It's the biggest piece of impenetrable convoluted bespoke programming language (ie shit) that I've ever had the misfortune to work with.

I thought that, before I got on to their fucking appalling thin client crap built on ancient technology that nobody else would touch with a barge pole.

Larry, stop buying stuff because it's popular. Buy it because it works.

This topic is closed for new posts.