back to article Princess Fiorina goes on the box with Fox

Two years after being shown the door at HP, Carly Fiorina will join a financial news television channel that Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is launching next week. The former HP CEO and chairman will serve as a commentator for the Fox Business Network, according to a press release. It didn't say how often Fiorina would appear or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris C

Let's not forget SHE WAS FIRED

You make it sound like Carly is this great businesswoman who simply couldn't keep her peeps at HP tight-lipped. The fact is, her time at HP showed her to be anything but. Let's not forget that she was fired because she nearly drove the business into the ground. We won't pretend that she had it easy since HP was in a relatively poor state when she got there. But she acquired and then killed Compaq (the only reason the name "Compaq" means anything anymore is because the name "HP" carries even more stigma), she authorized illegal investigations into her board members and beyond (and let's not pretend that she didn't understand what was being done), and she basically let the company go to hell. Forgive me if I don't take her business advice.

2. Magellan

Fiorina

I used to be incredibly skeptical of Fiorina. But then I saw Fiorina's book signing speech last year (October 2006) in Sunnyvale, and I was highly impressed, unlike Ashley Vance (based on the article you linked to). For me it was clear most of the criticisms of Fiorina did not cover the whole story and were unfair.

I personally look forward to hearing Fiorina on a business channel.

Thanks for linking to Ashley's article. It tells me a world about him.

3. heystoopid
    IT Angle

Ah !

Ah , it would be a most interesting but very dull monologue of the "Me , myself and I " variety with no meat or any real flesh so as to speak !

What price silliness and stupidity indeed ?

4. Matthew
    Thumb Down

Fox Financial News?

"Fox Business Network hopes to take on CNBC the way Fox News did CNN." - I don't see how you can be rabidly right-wing about financial news, pro-freemarket maybe, but the USA already is very laissez faire.

5. James Anderson
    Paris Hilton

Worldclass Spin

" revenue doubled at HP........ " -- I should b**dy well hope revenue would double if you merge with a another company the same size.

Bodes well for Fox Business News keeping up the standard of advertisor friendly Fact Free content set by Fox News.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Well...

I'd give her one...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Well...

Me too but only if she asked nicely and bought me dinner first.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to dust off that red suit Carly !

To sum up her time at HP : All noise -- no substance.

Has anybody looked at the HPQ share price since Carly left? It was trending downwards at $20 when she was around - Hurd has it trending upwards at around $50 .. speaks volumes.. although I bet she will say Hurd just ran the ball over the touchline.

Under her watch Dell was eating HPs lunch BIG time. Now look at them ! Although its such a big company - I am sure vision and action from the Captain have very little effect .. <wink>

9. Levente Szileszky

Classic overly confident outsider who nearly killed HP

HP was and still is our #1 vendor and I remember very well the armies of disgruntled HP engineers during Fiorina, the way they were treated and/or booted - this also contributed to the aforementioned business and financial mess this khm, 'overhyped businesswoman' created by the end of her reign at HP. She took onCompaq which never made *any* sense for HP - Compaq was a total mess, at the end mostly led by marketing-oriented folks while HP was always a tight operation, a very precise vendor, led by engineers and inventions -, most likely only to 'do something' for her astronomical salary... while I'm sure she's a warm person off the work - she looked like one in one of last season's Bill Maher show - she also ran HP as a totally disconnected chief, alienated most of the engineers and eventually nearly killed HP and its inventive soul. Thanks God she was fired - and thanks God this parasite Murdoch will pay for her so noone will go by her advices.

10. Eduard Coli

What a fathead

Didn't Carly steal enough from HP during the merger?

Her and her friends in the board made out while they laid off thousands and almost killed HP.

She worked with the Don while he stole what he wanted during the pillaging of DEC and Compaq.

You would think a thief like her would avoid exposure.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comments a little unfair...

Certainly HP used to be a pretty good company before Carly arrived and it as a huge mistake to buy Compaq expensively and then allow it to do a reverse take-over.

Carly certainly made a difference - keeping the share price down to $20 for her entire stay took effort, HP would not have managed it on its own.

Remember too that the people at Enron were, quite probably, worse than she was.

The recruitment company that found Carly for HP used to have a long description of the magnificent methods used to get her, involving a deep understanding of people and the type of person needed for senior management roles. You can still find it all on the way-back machine. Strangely the company that took over the remains of the recruitment company doesn't mention her at all now. There's gratitude for you!

I think people are unfair. Lots of people liked Eddie the Eagle - why hold it against Carly when all she did is get rich firing people? Didn't she dive just as impressively?

12. HKmk23
    Thumb Up

I think she is wonderfull!

Made a fortune buying HP shares after she was sacked.....

13. Levente Szileszky
    Stop

RE: Anonymous Coward

"Didn't she dive just as impressively?"

Well, certainly never on me - talk to us, I want to hear all the details... :D

14. George Parker
    Black Helicopters

Title

The funny bit is that apart from her $45 million golden parachute, she also negotiated a two year service contract for her laptop.

Cheers/George

This topic is closed for new posts.