back to article Apple promises fanbois iPad WiFi fix

Apple has promised an iPad software fix for fanbois complaining of WiFi problems on the Jobsian handheld. That also means the company has actually acknowledged the problems exist, but it says that only a few fanbois are affected. Apple is already providing workarounds for certain WiFi ills, but these don't solve larger …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Awwhhh...

Did the shiny wear off?

Paris, all alone in a dodgy hotel room, I need some company...

2. Andy Watt
    FAIL

Fanbois

Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois Fanbois

An extract from "what i did in the school holidays" by Cade

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Boring

Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring

Get a life.

2. Greg J Preece

Quick on the ball then?

Obviously not picking up on the reason why he keeps using it more and more - because you keep whingeing...

3. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Megaphone

CRY MOAR . . .

. . .fanboi.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fanbois

Mushroom Mushroom

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

But surely............

There's an App for that..............

1. Zippy the Pinhead
      Jobs Halo

There's an App for that..............

hahahaha.. nice!

4. Maliciously Crafted Packet

Perhaps...

Cade is one of those chap's that prefers Microsoft Windows technology. Or if he's really down with the kids, Android from those oh so funky dudes at Google.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Perhaps...

Cade is one of those chaps (non possessive 's') that prefers the thing to just bloody work?

I can't believe they suggested fiddling with the screen brightness for a WiFi issue. What the fffffanboi!!? Does "EMC" mean nothing to them?

Or, to put it another way. Ten euro piece of crap mass produced in China WiFi dongle speaks WPA2/AES to my Livebox on any computer with a USB port. It just works. What's the iPad's excuse for not? Isn't Apple supposed to be sooooo much superior to the mundane luserboi Windows crap? Well?

1. Maliciously Crafted Packet

And perhaps...

you were lucky with your ten euro Chinese wifi dongle.

A few years back I got one of those for an XP laptop. Best part of an afternoon spent phoning tech support, trawling forums and hacking the registry finally got the thing working. It does the job, but it certainly didn't "just work".

Apple may have cocked up this time, but if we're going to start having a "it just works" beauty contest I suspect Apple will be holding the miss world crown for quite a few years to come. Where as the ugly sisters Microsoft and Google haven't even made it to the shortlist.

1. Adam 10
          FAIL

Apple just works?!

I was in a photoshop a year back, in line behind a woman who was shouting at the photoshop guy because her photos weren't ready. The reason? The disc she supplied didn't work. After he had explained this to her about 10 times she finally relented and rung her husband, and had a conversation including the phrases "Well it worked fine when I burned it this morning" and "No, it's nothing to do with us using a Mac".

I've noticed Apple hasn't used the "it just works" motto in quite some time now. Presumably the ASA banned them from using it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh? What iProblem?

No, you have it all wrong.

I distinctly remember all the iFanbois on here saying that there was absolutely no problem with the Wi-Fi of the iPad. In fact, it was the fault of Cisco, other router manufacturers, wireless network admins, other nearby devices causing interference and various other faults, all at the feet of anyone else other than Apple.

So you see, it's not possible for Apple to be releasing a 'fix' for a product that's already perfect. And iLord knows it's hard to eat Apple crumble when you're perfect in every way...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

fanboi?

fanboi or not... how does it make sense to mock a section of your reading public?

1. Angus 2
      Thumb Up

The Reg mocks pretty much everyone...

Fanboi, Luser, Freetard.. no one misses out. :)

1. Stone Fox
        Jobs Horns

absolutely.

It seems, however, that only one or two sections are uptight enough to be offended by it on a constant basis.

But, if I was dumb enough to shell out a small a small fortune for a semi functional toy because it was all shiny I'd probably have a colossal stick up my arse as well...

7. Eddy Ito
    WTF?

Really?

"adjusting screen brightness"

Normally I'd say WTF? but in this case should we adjust the fucking volume too?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

Yes, really.

If you turn the brightness all the way down, you can't see the error message saying that it's dropped the WiFi connection.

S'obvious.

2. Flugal

Adjust brightness

Quite! That was very bizarre.

3. Haku

Screen brightness

I have to think WTF on the screen brightness too, unless the PWM used for controlling the LED brightness is somehow intefering with the wifi circuitry, but surely not, this is an Apple product, they never go bad...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once Again

Never buy the first release of anything. Firmware updates always come out after such devices are already in the field. sheeeeshhhhh They never learn

1. Mr Brush
      Joke

Might not be a firmware update...

It could just be a sheet of Jobs approved iSandpaper to make the wall beween your magical tablet and the AP thinner.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Jobs Horns

Re: Once Again

Don't buy the first release, especially as you need Wifi to download the update...

Speaking as an iMac fanboi, what is it with Wifi that is too difficult for Apple to understand? They never get it right when they launch a new product or OS, they somehow forget everything they've learnt previously. Then they can spend anything up to a year flailing about with Wifi updates until it finally Just Works.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's hoping it fixes wifi on the iPhone too

Ever since we got my wife's iPhone (3Gs with the latest updates) my wifi router has need to be rebooted every few days (which it never did before).

Yes the router does have the latest firmware, and none of my other devices (Multiple Windows desktops and laptops, Win Mo Phones, Nokia Phones, PS3, Wii etc) ever caused it any problems, just the iPhone. In fact I had to change the channel used for the wifi on the AP before the iPhone would even deign to connect to my wifi network (seems it didn't like channel 13 for some reason - despite it being one of the few channels not being used by nearby networks).

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Unhappy

Ah, channel 13.

For some reason, some yank kit seems to have a bit of a problem up there. I used to have a USR WiFi router that, while it recognised 12 and 13 as OK to use in Europe, wouldn't give me the time of day if I set it there, despite the bands being "clean" and everything else being happy to talk peer-to-peer up there.

Testing for compliance with international standards? In America? You're kidding, right?

Just for added complication: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inquisitor/2996

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Bah!

Wonder what would happen if the 'journalists'/bloggers on El Reg stated calling Windows users 'Sheep' or Linux users 'LinTards'.

If you compare what (ohh, pick a name a random), MicroSoft have promised will be in the 'next' release only to find they've dropped it, a slight and fixable technical problem with a brand-new machine in a brand-new category that affects a minority of users is small beer.

Hence the beer.

Get a life!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wake up...

Pay attention at the back of the class, El Reg has been pretty fair, it slags off most of its readership if they develop accolyte traits. Ohhhh, what's that? You're a blinkered Mactard with a persecution complex?

Now off you trot, apparently Steve is about to move his bowels and he's short a fanboi to applaud and celebrate the release of a new Jobsian wonder...

2. Les Matthew
      Thumb Up

Re: Bah!

Maybe it's because the feverishly frothing fanbois are so quick to take the bait?

Where's the "hungry Trout" icon?

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@A/C Bah...

Do you visit here often?

Linux users tend to be refered to a freetards and windows users tend to get a mixed variety of crud.

You see it's down the the authour.

Don't like it?

Sod off to macasskissworld.com or some other FANBOI site....everyone gets a kicking here....the hook line for the reg may give a hint.

Biting the hand that feed IT.

4. Greg J Preece

You tit

"Wonder what would happen if the 'journalists'/bloggers on El Reg stated calling Windows users 'Sheep' or Linux users 'LinTards'."

You mean like the way they call them "Wintards" and "Freetards," you moron?

11. Wang N Staines

Why...

are Apple so crap with hardware related stuff?

I remember every product that they released, there are always issues with them - from the iMacs to iPhones to iPad.

Is it because they spent 99% of their time on UI and neglected the hardware?

I got a white iPhone, only because I was told it's a chick magnet. Yes, it does make me look gay.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Behind the curve

No, you don't look gay or like an estate agent toting a white iPhone.

All the fashion victims who bought jeebus phones are now migrating to Blackberry, the iPhone is now a definite chav indicator as it's trickled down to the benefit scroungers.

See, I'm not always nasty to iPhone fanbois.

12. Dan 10

Subset of users anyway

"Fanbois have complained of an inability to establish WiFi connections, dropped connections, weak signals, and slow download speeds"

So wifi is working fine for the normal customers then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

That could be the case...

... if there were any "normal" customers.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ahh Music to my ears...

Don't ya just love the winge of a Jason Bradbury wanna be.

Disclaimer: This comment refers to the commentards not the article.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

and again it time for the windows vs apple weakly debate

I know it gives you all typing practise but wasn't every word of this posting said 6 days ago and wont it be said again in 6 days time.

I know i am right in my choice of hardware, software and service-ware that's why i am an arrogant developer, I can criticise users with impunity because i am obviously more advanced as a human.

Really folks, copy and paste then move on, your blood pressure will thank you.

15. Thomas 4

I really hate posts like these

They remind me how much I miss my Psion Revo. It wasn't flashy, it didn't have wifi or bluetooth but it was bloody efficient at organising my daily life. It also had a distinct lack of demented fanbois, unlike Palm and Windows Mobile systems at the time.

16. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

The brighter the screen,

the less electrical power is left in the machine to make things happen on it...

...is my suggested interpretation of Apple's advice.

I suppose you could hold a point of view that a wireless networked tablet display device whose battery can't fully power the wireless network and the display at the same time, if that's what it is, is more than a bit bad. I don't own or want to own an iPad and I don't care.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Starbucks..

Apple suggests updating your WiFi router firmware (not much help if you're at Starbucks)

Sorry, just just spat my vende, double mocca latte chai with cinnamon over my screen ...

18. g e
    Stop

Another alternative

Apple suggests updating your WiFi router firmware (not much help if you're at Starbucks), using WPA or WPA2 wireless security, adjusting screen brightness, and renewing your IP address.

Or just return the fucking thing for a refund as busted/shite and spend your money <strikethrough>wisely</strikethrough> elsewhere.

Early adopter? Bend over

Early Apple adopter? Stay like that

19. Rogerborg

Clap your hands

And say "I believe in Apple". You DO believe in Apple, don't you, children?

I hear bells!

20. Inachu
    Unhappy

My ipad works just fine!

I also use a modern wifi router such as my DIR-655 extreme N

Most people complaining are those using N compatible routers but they are not truly up to the newest N standards and they have not flashed their router.

The light issue that affects Wifi is related to power saving which if anyone remember most laptops in the 1990's suffered from this REMEMBER?

Uhh my laptop just woke out of sleep mode and now the wifi is dead or missing!

I am sure the people who created same pwoer issues for the laptops are the exact same people hired who built/programmed the ipad....... They are a sorry sad bunch of folks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like