back to article Mozilla detects insecure plugins for IE, Chrome, Safari

Mozilla has introduced a service that checks plugins for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, and Safari browsers to make sure they don't contain known bugs or security vulnerabilities. The page builds off a feature rolled out last year that checked only for out-of-date plugins for Firefox. At the moment, the service offers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

"Which makes you wonder...

"... why a service like this wasn't offered long ago"

Err, you mean like Secunia?

http://secunia.com/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Title

"it caught more than half Firefox installations running an insecure version Adobe's web animation software."[sic]

But, I thought Flash was installed on 95% of all PCs...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

FAIL: Reading & Comprehension

Please READ and COMPREHEND before copying and posting/quoting.

It says, as you quoted, ".... INSECURE versions of Adobe's web animation software."

There is NOTHING there about not having it AT ALL.

These are the kind of glaring mistakes that shouldn't be allowed.

3. Hans 1
    Paris Hilton

What's the use

Most people who know how to install flash already have the latest version, most of those who don't, would not know how to install it.

I remember the good old times when firefox would say, heck, you're missing a plugin, click here to install it, click here to restart firefox ... done.

No download manually BS from adobe's website ... that's what puts everybody off .. and I thought Sun had a bad website ... that was before I got to Adobe's.

Meg Ryan, because, she would not know how to install flash while sitting on the looooo emailing...

4. mfraz
    FAIL

If only it worked.

Would be great except that of the 10 plugins it detected, only one - Flash - did it know if it was up-to-date or not, everything else including Java had a research button next to it instead. This is with Firefox 3.6.3!

5. Tom Chiverton 1

Still doesn't work

"Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_20 ... Unable to Detect Plugin Version"

Sigh.

6. John F***ing Stepp

I see you are running an Apple, would you like to upgrade?

Dammit clippy, you are going to get me killed.

(Speaking of which, why don't you add the little fellow, as a zombie. Clippy has been dead for years.)

7. Pablo
    Coffee/keyboard

Cute

Apparently using NoScript puts me in the same category as Richard Stallman.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like