back to article Google searches divine future unemployment rate

Google may or may not be great at helping you find a job, but it seems to be as good as some economic models at projecting whether or not you will have a job. Two researchers affiliated with the Bank of Italy - Juri Marcucci and Francesco D'Amuri, who is also at the Institute for Social and Economic Research at the University …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

jobs and ipad and megalomania

another explanation for recent surge...

... but collecting a vast amount of personal search information may indeed yield more accurate results...

...what can they do for e.g. sexually transmitted disease...

... come to think didn't they already do this story with swine flu?

(jobs and iPad and "development tools" and "utter swine"...)

2. Quxy
    FAIL

Figures often beguile me...

...particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

3. Simpson

Might be skewed

Searches for hand job, blow job, etc., might toss off the results.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Interesting thought

What if it doesn't skew the results? What if, in times of pending economic trouble, people go looking for the cheaper modes of sexual gratification and in doing that add valid data to the set? Would be most interesting if t'were so...

Next up: World Economic Outlook - Trends in Purchased Sexual Gratification. I'll start composing my Nobel acceptance speech right away.

2. Jonathan Richards 1

Not only Hand Jobs...

...but also Steve Jobs. Apple CEO linked to US Unemployment!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like