back to article Gary McKinnon's mum not prime minister

Janis Sharp - Gary McKinnon's mother - was pushed into last place in Blackburn, where she was standing as an independent. Although never expecting to win, Sharp was running to increase awareness of civil liberties which she believes are under increasing attack. Standing against former Home Secretary Jack Straw Sharp managed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover

Oh, really???

Gary McKinnon's mum:

"Standing against former Home Secretary Jack Straw, Sharp managed only 173 votes..."

Leader of the Pirate Party (UK):

"..the party's leader, Andrew Robinson - who picked up just 173 votes in Worcester.."

Coincidence?

I smell a rat.

1. Mike Shepherd
      IT Angle

Prime

And 173 is a prime number. Clearly something is afoot here.

1. Andus McCoatover

This number keeps popping up...

From the Times letters...

Border Burg wrote:

I know a number of students in the constituency of Oxford West and Abingdon being turned away. The majority is just 173 and a rerun would benefit democracy.

2. Jimmy Floyd
    Unhappy

Sad

A shame, that. Obviously she was never going to win but it would have been better if she hadn't been quite so far behind. Even though single-issue parties are usually a waste of space it doesn't send the best message to those who will eventually inhabit Westminster.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Has she got the message yet?

Doubt it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nutcake genes in that family?

Are Mum and Gary on the same meds or what? It's not likely that voters will ever vote for Mum with here distorted views of reality. Denial and ignorant crusades don't change reality.

5. Gary F

Realistically...

If she had been voted in as their MP it must be asked how much time she'd spend working on local issues for her constituents versus time spent working on her son's situation. An MP must represent all of the people of the constituency, not just 1.

I do wish her and her son well and hope the new Home Secretary steps in and shows some backbone.

6. Steven Knox
    Coat

So...

She lost to a Straw man...?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Predictable that Mrs McKinnon lost...

But still astonishing ... to me at least ... that amoral political opportunists like Straw and Hazel Blair survived the electoral process. A contributor to an earlier thread in this forum suggested that many voters will vote for a turnip if it's painted red or blue. You were clearly right sir.

8. bexley

i admire her spirit

And she did meet her aim of achieving some publicity, we're all talking about it anyway.

I'd really like to see a liberal Home secretary in the power sharing deal that should occur soon

9. James 100

Backbone

I'm hoping for a Home Secretary with enough backbone to extradite McKinnon at last - the case has dragged on for years without any excuse for all the delays. If he hadn't tried every trick in the book to delay proceedings and just taken the plea bargain, he'd probably have been out years ago!

10. Stefing
    Unhappy

Sad

I would have loved her to beat Jack Straw.

Not just in the election, but physically - a rubber hose would have been nice.

11. Zap
    Unhappy

A waste of time and money

I passionately support the rights of people like Gary, but I don't think this helps his campaign. It is a waste of time and I hope only the money of his mum and not those that have donated to support him.

Sadly all it does is show that people don't give a shit about disabled people, anyone who has worked with people with Aspergers will know that they have "special interests" and that they lack the understanding of social rules.

Shame on the US Government for holding out so long, when really they should have thanked Gary for exposing how pathetic their Sys Admins were.

Better to find out from the prodding of a harmless autistic man than a Russian, Chinese or Iranian (I forget who our enemies are these days) secret service agent.

This is no different to when people highlight the bugs in Windows.

The fact that Gary kept leaving messages with his name saying "You still have not fixed this" shows that he was not acting with malice, again anyone who knows AS would know that they are generally too naive for such intentions.

12. andy gibson

Andrew Robinson and 173 votes

Andrew Robinson also played Garak in Star Trek DS9 - former member of a prestigious Cardassian intelligence group called the Obsidian Order.

Smells like a super conspiracy to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.