back to article Scammers attempt to cash in on volcanic ash travel chaos

Scammers are hoping to hoodwink travellers who were stranded by the volcanic ash cloud last month as fresh plumes have disrupted flights once more in the UK. The emails invite recipients to apply to a compensation fund from Frank Adam at the Civil Aviation Authority. In reality there is no Frank Adam and no fund - the emails …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Saw through that one.

"A rather less plausible email scam has also been doing the rounds, claiming that boffins at the Large Hadron Collider are about to create a black hole."

$3000 to a travel agent in Mumbai? As if I would fall for that, I booked my flight via BA.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

No it has to be mumbai!

as London is closed due to ash cloud. BA will not help you. payment to mubai must be.

2. Danny 14
    WTF?

whaaaa?

"But don't worry, you'll be safe if you catch an expensive flight to the South Pacific. All you need to do is send $3,000 to a travel agent in Mumbai. Via Western Union, of course."

I actually wish them the best of luck. If people fall for this then they really have major issues.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But, but, but...

I'm here in Geneva live at the creation of black hole BH1(tm). It's black, it's huge and it's growing! Damn, now my feet are being sucked in ahhhhhhh

4. Thomas 4

Hubert J. Farnsworth, huh....

"Doomsday device? Now the ball's in Farnsworth's court!"

5. Barry Tabrah
    Happy

Braced for impact

With the recent death of the Nigerian President I'm expecting scam emails to peak pretty soon. I wonder how many aids, servants, cousins, and other related personages will be trying to pass funds out of the country before the new President is elected.

6. Richard Wharram
    FAIL

Hubert Farnsworth ?

Not likely to fool anyone who watches Futurama :/

7. Giddy Kipper

Good news, everyone!

Any fule no that Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth owns an interplanetary delivery company called Planet Express and, mad as he might be, understands that an evacuation to the South Pacific in the event of a black hole forming under CERN would be utterly futile.

A scam undeed.

Anyway, since pioneering the invention of meta-particles to turn dark matter into useful energy he has ..... oh, look, a general election. S'cuse me.

8. Flugal

"Regards, and God bless."

As soon as emails invoke religion you know it's going to be some kind of fraud.

And I am noticing a theme that the religious often seem fascinated in dark holes, thankfully in this case not one belonging to a choirboy.

9. Anonymous John
    Dead Vulture

We're all going to die.

How can we fly to the South Pacific when the LHC is belching out all that volcanic ash?

10. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Coat

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Goodbye, cruel world. Goodbye, cruel lamp. Goodbye, cruel velvet drapes, lined with what would appear to be some sort of cruel muslin and the cute little pom-pom curtain pull cords. Cruel though they may be...

This topic is closed for new posts.