back to article Handset also-rans create new mobile platform

Third-tier mobile handset manufacturers have banded together to make a new mobile application platform - as if the industry didn't have enough already. DoCoMo, Renesas, Fujitsu, NEC, Panasonic and Sharp will be happy to licence the new application platform out to the rest of the industry, in case anyone feels that Android, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jonathon Green
    Boffin

Yes please.

Isn't this pretty much how the existing DoCoMo/FOMA MOAP(S) and MOAP(L) platforms work - i.e as a (relatively) thin layer on top of either Symbian OS or Linux as a "host" OS?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inferring

"inferring a worrying belief"..

You mean implying. They imply, you infer.

3. Code Monkey

I'm gonna get my own standard

With blackjack and hookers

1. kam 1

In fact,...

forget the standard.

4. Chris Dickens

J2ME

I still don't understand why they don't just expand the *existing* Java support. Standardise the APIs properly (the current ones are pretty random as to whether they're implemented and generally they're not implemented properly anyway). Also give it a decent UI API for consistency (after all, most of Apple's success is from a standard, easy to use, UI).

Give it proper access to other parts of the phone and you have a ready made runtime which works along with an existing developer base with mature tools. You can do away with the code signing and having to buy certificates by using an app store to provide the signing if you want.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Standard?

Only in IT is it possible to use the word "standard" in this context and not have people stop, point and laugh.

6. MeRp

Inferring/Implying...

I think they were implying, but the author did not infer, that they were thinking of porting it over to open platforms, but not to closed platforms, ie iPhone, Windows, Blackberry. If this has low-level tie ins, it makes sense; it is harder to get into the lower recesses of the closed mobile OSes than the open ones.

This implication certainly makes more sense, when you consider that Symbian, Linux Mobile, and Android are all considered open OSes, than the inferred implication stated by the author.

7. Mage Silver badge
    Pirate

blackjack and hookers?

The rectangular liquorice chewy sweets and the West of Ireland rowing boats?

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/Black_Jack_Chews.html

and

http://www.galwayhookerassociation.ie/

I suppose you can chew the Blackjacks while Rowing? But how does this relate to Phone APIs?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like