back to article Palin email witness decries 'dog and pony' prosecution

A witness who testified against the man accused of breaching Sarah Palin's Yahoo! Mail account has criticized federal prosecutors for distorting the facts in an attempt to score legal points. Gabriel Ramuglia said the episode left him so disenchanted that he's changing the logging policy for Ctunnel.com, the anonymity proxy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon is not a Moron

Nice to see the American justice system being even handed

So guessing someone's yahoo! password can get you up to 50 years in the big house, but violating State data retention laws doesn't warrant an investigation. I guess being a pig in lipstick, does have it's advantages after all.

1. TimeMaster T
      Flame

Correction

Its the "American Legal System", Justice has nothing to do with it.

Fire, because that is where it always ends.

2. MJI Silver badge
    Coat

I was expecting Michael

Why is it when I see the name Palin I get an article about some woman rather than the great man himself?

He is getting his coat for another excellent travelogue

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Safe

50 years for logging into someone elses email but nothing for invading a country and slaughtering 200,000 people and torturing suspects. Funny world.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And thus...

...the breakdown of civil society begins. When citizens can no longer be arsed to support the civil (not to mention civilized) society, it withers and turns into tyranny. Methinks the merkins have soiled their own nest a bit too much by being so vindictive...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Hey, I get it!

You said 'merkins' because George W. Bush had an accent, and it implies that Americans are stupid! How incisive and clever!

Seriously? You make a good point, but every time I (as a 'merkin' see some pompous lime^H^H^H^HBritish citizen whip out that canard, it makes me want to disagree with him on principle. It's like people who have valid criticisms of monopolies but just -have- to toss in a "Micro$haft" to make themselves feel superior.

If you have an effective argument, you don't need the used-up ad hominems, people.

1. Mike Flugennock
        Grenade

Don't blame the Brits; we really _are_ st00pid

Hey, what are you so pissed off about? Criticism hitting a little close to home, huh?

Y'ever take a look at the surveys that show how many Americans believe in Creationism? In ESP? In angels? That Barack Obama isn't a US Citizen? That humans didn't land on the Moon?

Face it man; this country is stupid as a goddamn' box of rocks. The sooner it collapses, the better.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

You forgot one

They believe in the goodness of unicorns, too.

2. C Yates
          Black Helicopters

Sitting on the fence

Every nation has their fair share of morons, it's just that America is just bigger and has a higher proportion. It's not being mean, it's logic.

Equally, by the same logic they have their fair share of geniuses... it's just that they're overshadowed by the numpties out there =P

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

"Face it man; this country is stupid as a goddamn' box of rocks."

The country as a whole isn't that stupid, it's just that the really stupid ones get a lot of press for their nut-job hallucinations, making the rest of us look bad.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Righto

We'll switch to "seppos" instead.

1. Stone Fox
          Grenade

seppos works

but for bonus irritation points do you think we'll get away with Americ*nts?

5. Stefing
    Thumb Up

Good for them!

Let's see which ISPs take up a similarly principled stand against the Digital Economy Act (and I don't mean TalkTalk, who are just in it for PR)

6. AndyS
    Thumb Up

Good for him

Justice must err on the side of caution - it's better that one person gets away with a crime than that one person is convicted of a crime they didn't commit.

Interrupting interstate commerce is clearly a crime this fellow didn't commit.

That said, I'm looking forward to the similarly heavy handed prosecution of Sarah Palin.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

RE: Good for him

"....Interrupting interstate commerce is clearly a crime this fellow didn't commit...." Yes, but that's not the point. US court is a points game - the prosecution will try and build up as big and threatening case as they can and then hammer the defence into a plea bargain. In all likelyhood the defence will eventually cop to the core charges if it looks like the prosecution can actually make the interference case stick, otherwise the judge will throw it out if the evidence presented is weak. The prosecution would much rather the twit concerned confessed to the main charge so they can close things off quickly rather than having it drag out for months on end.

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Wow, someone noticed that State is not your friend

Film at 11.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As I recall...

The problem here is the conservative "law-n-order" push of the 1970's, which ended up giving persecutors ^W prosecutors excessive powers. Now they seem to compete in ginning up excessive charges. Its all willy-waving.

Conservative States are never your friend.

1. Nebulo

These days ...

*No" State is your friend.

8. blackworx
    Big Brother

Sad

Doesn't seem to have been so much of an issue that it was Sarah Palin's email as just *anyone* in office. Given this, the message here is an unmistakable "do not attempt to fuck with your government - if you do you will regret it". Unsurprising, but still disheartening.

9. John F***ing Stepp

You might want to know this woman biblicaly.

But come on, don't be stupid enough to vote for her.

Stop thinking with your. . .

Hey, Dick Cheney could die in her arms.

New movie idea.

(Looking 'hard' for popcorn machine.)

1. unitron

Eeeuuwwww!

"You might want to know this woman biblicaly."

That's an even more disgusting notion than that of voting for her.

Which I wouldn't have thought possible.

10. The BigYin
    FAIL

More importantly

When will Palin be in the dock for using Yahoo! for government business?

Surely her deliberate acts to try and by-pass federal law as as serious, if not more so?

11. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Email contents

mail to gun shop, dates to pick up new rifles

mail to helicopter company, dates for ride over hunting ground

mail to husband, reminder to fill up caravan

We all know, the really important* stuff, she writes on her hand.

*important as in government important that is. clearly she never wrote "get daughter on pill" on her hand.

12. Apocalypse Later

You can tell that Palin is a winner...

...by the number of people who attack her every time her name is mentioned, even in the UK, where she is quite unlikely to run for any office. She will be president of the USA soon enough.

1. jonathan keith
      Flame

Yup.

At just about the same time as the four horsemen are saddling up.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

@jonathean keith

"At just about the same time as the four horsemen are saddling up."

Obviously. She'd be the reason *why* they're saddling up.

2. sisk

Don't do that!

Are you trying to give us nightmares? Having her as VICE President on a ticket that never really had a chance was bad enough.

3. Gordon is not a Moron

Not yet and that scares people

After hearing her speaking you come to the conclusion than no sane, intelligent electorate could possibly put her into a position where she hads control of nuclear launch codes.

Then you remember that she was Governor of Alaska.

Then you remember that G.W. Bush was voted in as twice as President.

Then you realise that right now she's the closest thing the GOP has to a front runner for Presidential candiate.

So all of the "attacks" are actually friendly requests of "please, don't let another room temperature IQ have the keys to the White House"

13. Keith Doyle
    Thumb Down

@Apocalypse--

Nahh-- Palin is just the Republican equivalent of Nancy Pelosi. Both are the favorite extremists for extremists on the other side to hate. She might have a good chance to make it into the House of Reps though, combined with the right gerrymandering...

1. PT
      Grenade

Re: Palin is just the Republican equivalent of Nancy Pelosi

I'd have to disagree with that. Pelosi (and for that matter Harry Reid also) is fairly unremarkable, not an extremist by most peoples' standards. She's only an object of right-wing hate because she holds high office in a Democrat administration. If she were not Speaker you'd hear nothing about her at all.

Bible Spice, on the other hand, has gone out of her way to identify herself with the worst kind of right wing extremism. She's become a rallying point for people who loudly advocate the violent overthrow of the government, and has come within a hair's breadth of endorsing that position herself. THIS, Keith, is an extremist.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Happy

@PT

"Bible Spice, "

Quality.

BTW anyone know the age of consent in Alaska? I got the impression that here daughter was knocked up at 17 which I think puts her in the "Jailbait" catagory. Shouldn't boyfriend (or should I say the statutory rapist) be on the SO register?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yaaaayyyy!

Always good to see someone wake up and realize just how freaking corrupt and untrustworty our govenrment has become.

15. wsm

Nothing new

The politics of federal prosecution have never been pretty, or balanced. Hence the saying: "Don't make a federal case out of it!"

1. Eddie Johnson
      Unhappy

Federal Cases

Yeah, it's a shame they've turned that upside down now and the trend is to make a federal case out of everything. Its just one of the many things bankrupting us slowly but surely. How many millions of dollars do you think have been wasted on this case which is essentially a practical joke gone awry?

16. James Woods

blaming bush?

LOL you freaking idiots.

Im glad to see this son of a democrat getting his ass handed to him.

He broke the law. Furthermore these proxy providers should be held responsible as well as they are providing a service that makes people believe they are hiding who they are.

If we were able to cruise the net anonymously it would be about as safe as the streets of Chicago after 7 at night.

Least this chaps company got some exposure, never heard of them prior to this.

BTW, we're still in iraq and Afghanistan, someone might want to tell Obama, he's the president now.

17. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Was anybody else during the campaign thinking

"Trophy VP?"

I'll wager Playboy do her in a spread before she does the Oval Office

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Hunger

I was contemplating getting something to eat, but it seems you have just done me a favour and I can now work though my lunchbreak and clock up some flexi-time instead.

18. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

"Dog & Pony proscution"

Do you have video of this?

This topic is closed for new posts.