back to article Lord of the Rings man made a Knight

Peter Jackson, the director behind the Lord of the Rings trilogy has been knighted in New Zealand. The Queen's representative Governor-General Anand Satyanand honoured Jackson for services to the arts. Jackson said he was humbled by the honour and was accepting it on behalf of his many hundreds of collaborators. He is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Tree
    Troll

Does that make him King of the Hobbits?

No! It makes him a Knight!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Once a kings...

always a king, but once a (k)nights enough

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Low Budget horrors

I wonder if he would have got this Honor if they were aware of some of his earlier films like Meet the Feebles

1. theblackhand
      FAIL

What about Bad Taste?

- a sheep being blown up by a rocket launcher? Check

- how to use a belt to stop your brains falling out after being shot in the head? Check

- spent less than NZ$25,000 making the file? Check

If that doesn't get you knighted, maybe a knighthood just isn't worth having

2. Ben Rosenthal
      Pint

re: Low Budget horrors

are you 'avin' a larf? Bad Taste, Brain Dead and The Frighteners are among his best films, they're the reasons I was happy when he first announced an attempt at That Trilogy :D

damn well done to the guy

4. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

my friends you kneel for no one

fantastic news for the bearded king of middle earth

5. Gwaptiva
    Boffin

Please arrest

the Tolkein character for plagiarising books by Tolkien

6. Paul 131
    Thumb Down

@Anonymous Coward (anus ignoramus)

Casting an eye back to "Meet the Feebles", gotta start somewhere.

7. Christoph

No, it doesn't

Still not King

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

That's handy.

Now he can point to all the old props cluttering up his garage, turn to his better half and say: "See? I told you some of it would come in handy one day".

There's nothing better for the old smugness quotient than proving to a sceptical SO that the "old junk" you're repeatedly having your ear bent about is actually useful.

1. Youngone Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: That's Handy

You're right, but I think He's one of those lucky buggers whose wife is quite supportive of flights of fancy. For those who don't know, her name is Fran Walsh and she's held in pretty high esteem as well. (At least here in NZ).

9. moonface
    Coat

For services to Pro royalist propaganda

Who cares about knighthoods from either Númenórean or Sax Coburg Gotha lineages!

Yours, misbegotten peasant.

Mine's the one, without the gold braid, medals and fancy frills.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The award was announced on New Year's Eve. ®

So it's not IT related, and it's not news.

So what's it doing on here?

Mine's the one with Hobbit s**t on the sleeve

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

New here..

Aren't you?

Mines the bullet proof one...

2. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD

It is IT related...

This bloke made a film about hobbITs didn't he? There ya go

3. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Acceptance speech

Let's hope he does his acceptance speech in the style of the Lord Of The Rings films - e.g. v e r y , v e r y s l ow l y , with lots of 'meaningful' soulful looks, and long periods of time where the narrative gets parked in neutral whilst dull repetitive CGI takes over.

In fact there you've got his version of The Hobbit all ready to go.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Pint

Ah, Bad Tast

Quality film (given it's ah modest budget).

Started working for an IT Manager called Derek shortly after I saw it originally.

He never knew why his name kept a smile on my face.

Probably best appreciated after a few beers

13. R J Tysoe

It's a shame...

... he's not a British citizen so he can't take up his seat in the Upper House. Then he could claim to kick arse for the Lords.

14. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Just found "Bad Taste" on VHS.

Shortly after watching documentary "Not Quite Hollywood", which admittedly is principally about Australian deregulated cinema. But "Bad Taste" is considerably the stuff that they were talking about, too. Jackson also acts. (Kind'a.) It's a keeper.

Derek's storyline is pretty worrying, though - but his approach to closed doors, probably due to his, uh, state of mind, hilarious.

(The bad guys' approach to closed doors, likewise. Was this henchman lore before Nodwick was ever pictured? Ah... maybe not.)

15. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

@Robert Carnegie

I think you'll find that's no henchmen, he's one of Peter Jackson's relatives. Checking the end credits as far as I could see when they were not on screen, they were part of the crew. It's a pretty amazing piece of work.

Bad Taste is one of those movies you can't quite believe what you're seeing, even *while* you're watching it. Derek's behavior is quite understandable given that he's not quite himself later on. A few beers probably do help the viewing experience.

However there is a plot whose internal logic does (more or less) hang together (and better than some stalk & slash flics I've seen) .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like