back to article Bromsgrove lass slapped with Boozbo

A 20-year-old Bromsgrove woman has been slapped with a drinking banning order (DBO) which prevents her from drinking or buying alcohol anywhere in England and Wales. Laura Hall had already been barred from all of her Worcestershire home town's watering holes when Kidderminster Magistrates' Court imposed the order, which will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flugal
    Thumb Up

Nice

She does sound like total class.

2. Scott Mckenzie

Crazy!

She's got a nice pair though...

3. JimC

>know she is banned...

Well of course they can't. But after they arrest her for drinking offence eher name will come up in lights on PNC...

4. Cazzo Enorme

Can't. Help. Myself.

Nice rack.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

yes, she does,,,

that made me laugh out loud

5. Aldous
    Stop

what about the till monkey

"How can a police officer in Wales know this woman has been banned if she turns up in his town?"

what about the poor till monkey that serves this women then gets clobbered by the plod for aiding a criminal act or something.

proxy buying is the major problem with underage kids (and also one the police do fuck all about, they instead do underage stings to nab the monkeys not the people passing crates to kids 1 mile from the store) so hows this going to effect anything.

more pointless laws

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pint

Wrong question!

"How can a police officer in Wales know this woman has been banned if she turns up in his town?"

More to the point how is a publican in Wales going to know <etc>? They're surely the ones who are going to end up stuck with a fine* for serving somebody illegally once she's been pinched for D&D and the TaffPlod does his paperwork.

You'd almost suspect that this legislation was an enabler for mandatory ID and an online check to a national database.........

*Gotta happen. It's a revenue stream.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

She should come to Edinburgh

She'd fit right in with all the other drunk Englishers on Lothian Road

1. Jason Hall

Kiddy

As a native of Kidderminster, she fits right in here with the locals too.

Unfortunately.

8. Wommit
    FAIL

But...

how are they going to enforce it?

What if a 'friend' brings a tinny or two over one evening? Are the riot police going to jump out of her fridge and arrest them all?

Are they going to breathalyze her every other day? That's about the only way that they'll be able to _prove_ shes ingested alcohol.

It's worse than useless to impose a ban if it is unenforceable. All that will do is reinforce the view that the UK legal system is basically ineffective.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

oh well then......

lets do nothing then eh?

Maybe if "Parents" actually brought their kids up, instead of letting everyone/thing else, the UK wouldn't be full of drunks and (lets face it) lowlives!

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Police....?

"Rachel Seabrook of the Institute of Alcohol Studies told the paper: "How can a police officer in Wales know this woman has been banned if she turns up in his town?""

Why would a police officer be working in a pub or off-license anyway?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fatal flaw?

"Rachel Seabrook of the Institute of Alcohol Studies told the paper: "How can a police officer in Wales know this woman has been banned if she turns up in his town?""

They don't need to, the banned woman is so banned because she appears to have a history of public order issues whilst loaded - this seems reasonable as otherwise why would you impose a DBO?

So she could go to Wales and drink - and if she acts responsibly then to be honest who really cares. Likelihood is that she won't, and when they arrest her for drunken public order offenses they will establish that she is the subject of a nationwide DBO.

As the irritating meerkats would say: simples!

11. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
    Boffin

Fatal Flaw?

However, the Sun - which has snaps of a fuelled-up Hall here - notes a fatal flaw in the blanket DBO. Rachel Seabrook of the Institute of Alcohol Studies told the paper: "How can a police officer in Wales know this woman has been banned if she turns up in his town?"

How about, if she is then arrested for drunk and disorderly, she'll find herself with a harsh sentence rather than an arbitrary fine?

12. AGirlFromVenus

homebrew time then...

yeast + sugar + water + flavour (optional extra) . wait a few days...sorted

B.

13. smudge
    Big Brother

Totally unenforceable... for now

Why just Wales? How can a Plod or a barman or a supermarket checkout operator anywhere know that she's been banned?

Solution 1 - put a picture of her in every licensed premises in the country. Hmm... might be seen as a breach of her privacy.

Solution 2 - tattoo her face and ban the burkha. Errr, no.. too controversial.

Solution 3 - make everyone produce an ID card when buying booze. Record booze bans on the card or on the central database. Make it compulsory to check the card/database whenever booze is sold.

Hey - Alan! Gordon! We've found a use for the ID card!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

err..

Someone in a Burkha buying alcohol is automatically suspicious, anyway...

14. Dave in the States
    Thumb Up

Nice presentation!!

I'd buy her a drink (or two)!!

You mean they won't have posters of her in every police station and post office?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

What they should do is this...

Make her take the same stuff as recovering alchoholics take to kerb their drinking.

The stuff that makes you throw your ring up as soon as booze enters her blood stream.

Test her every other day and if she fails the test, slap the vacuous bint in custody till she gets the message.

Does it seem draconian? Aye, suppose so but im proper hacked off with pissed up idiots ruining my town/city/etc etc. If they cant handle their beer then they should be denied the stuff until they learn a few social graces.

PS, she does have nice top-bollocks though.

16. Craigness

I would

I'd give her one*.

A drink.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

April 2012?

That's going to be tough

Uncle Rant

Smirnoff Professor of Merlot, the Institute of Alcohol Studies

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wales is a big issue.

Given the fact that in the summer it becomes West Midlands on tour.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds

Sounds like a pretty imputent legal device

20. Deetal
    FAIL

headline accuracy par for Sun

"Laura, 20, banned from boozing anywhere in UK"

and the subheading

"LOUT Laura Hall is the first person to be banned from buying or drinking booze ANYWHERE in the country"

Er, no. She's allowed to drink in private as long as someone else buys it for her.

Also, when did Scotland and Northern Ireland secede?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

A policeman's lot...

Arrr. You got me there, sor, How can we tell if we have a criminal in our midst if the alleged crime took place somewhere else. Hmmm. Did they solve this in the 19th century by sending a description? And in the 20th by sending a photo? Reg readers turned their branes off for friday afternoon, then? If only everyone had an ID card. Hers would say 'profession - booze-addled trollop' or some such

22. Rob
    Stop

Just made it a lot easier

Well it's been made a lot easier now her face is plastered all over the country thanks to the Sun. Any males dispensing drinks will no doubt recognise her rack.

23. Stu
    Pint

Thats odd

I kind of pictured a woman in far worse physical condition than that photo on the Sun website.

The sun probably gave her a few hours 'rehabilitation', probably shelled out for a full pamper, to help her look a little more respectable.

So how does the local Tescos stop her from walking out with ten bottles of JD under her arms? Are they supposed to recognise her? Is her photo up in every offey and supermarket from Lands End to Carlisle? I haven't checked where she's from but it wouldn't surprise me if its a short hop over the 'border' into scotland for some fags n booze!

So what if it shows up AFTER the drinking offense!? Damage was likely already done, police time wasted, court time wasted, government money wasted.

Let me see, I'd wager she worked in Morrisons for two weeks, turned up maybe once, and never worked a full day in her miserable life. Her drinking probably funded by HM Govt on behalf of the people of Great Britain in benefits, maybe her bf. Liver problems to follow, also to be funded by the people of GB. Her various offences handling and court proceeds also funded by us in Council tax - police, is it?

Brilliant, makes me proud to be a tax payer, and she has the wonderful gall to feature with all smiles inside the Sun newspaper, clearly proud of her lifetime achievements.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Bigot.

You sir are one. So everyone with a drink problem is a waster? To be honest, from how she is dressed and made up in the photo I would say she has a middleing income for her age.

Also, if you note the photos they are not posed photos but pre ban photos that seem to be taken on a night out.

And how the fuck do you think a drinking ban to work? Do you think the police go round with a big book of pictures of banned drivers? Or that every petrol station is told not to let them fill up?

Make me proud to be a tax payer that wankers like you get to vote.

24. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Really? Is that the best you can do?

A half-witted and inept precis of a story that you found in the bloody Sun? Waste of oxygen.

Inevitable decline of standards etc. etc., buggrem...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Really? Is that the best you can do?

"Inevitable decline of standards etc. etc., buggrem"

I tole 'em, buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp, spyin' on me with rays they are, I tole 'em, buggrem.

- Foul Ole Ron

25. Jacqui Smith's DVD Collection!
    Joke

How to enforce it...

Make ID cards compulsory and do not allow the sale of alcohol without a check of said card against a database of offenders. ;)

26. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

I'll Second The...

...observation that she has excellent mammary structure. Was totally expecting a slatternly degenerate when I clicked the photo link. Half the population (the male half) would no doubt be very happy to supply her alcohol needs, though i suspect she is a screamer, at least when drunk.

In the USA "carding" for age verification is mandatory for alcohol and tobacco sellers. A proper notice on Driver's License or other ID would work here.

I lift my can of 211 high in a toast to excellence in Journalism.

1. Oninoshiko
      Happy

Carding

"Carding" is only manditory if you look under a certain age. (I think it's 37, but can't recall)

Many do it to everyone, but it's a store/seller policy. normally the response is "why thank you!" or a rather angry minor anyway.

(would always be flattered to be carded)

1. Intractable Potsherd
        WTF?

The first numpty ...

... that asks me for ID for buying booze will find themselves putting everything back on the shelf. I haven't been asked for ID for buying alcohol ever, and not since I was 15 to get into a drinking establishment (I began drinking in the local "nightclub" when I was 13, in the 1970s, as was normal round here), and I would be seriously insulted if I was now.

2. M Gale

Re: I'll Second The...

"In the USA "carding" for age verification is mandatory for alcohol and tobacco sellers. A proper notice on Driver's License or other ID would work here."

Not too long ago I was asked for ID when buying some vodkapop. I'm in my 30s. I have a beard, and a balding head. Sorta slapped myself atop said solar panel and said "is this proof?"

Well it gave the shop attendant a giggle anyway. I got my vodkapop.

27. disgruntled yank

The Institute for Alcohol Studies

My old alma mater!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

"They came for the winos"

But I was not a wino.

You have been warned.

I'll get my coat and wait outside for the police car.

29. Craig 28

Re:Drivers license

There is one good thing about ID cards, I'm damned sick of the drivers license being used for every little thing. I'm unable to drive due to disability and without either a driving license or a passport (don't tend to travel) it's bloody hard to prove who I am often enough. Most of the time the places need one form of ID from each of two or more lists, and without either of those I'm always one list short.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a good thing either

The problem isn't that you don't have a driver's licence (neither do I), but that you have to produce ``identification'' at all. What does that prove, really? What can the receiver of said proof do with it? If he can see you he can see you're a real person already. And with your full identity, he can impersonate you too.

This is one reason why identification must always be mutual: You need to know who's asking (and why they need to know, and whether they're entitled to) and you really should keep track of that, too. But that's too hard, so it never gets done. It would be a terrific improvement if ID cards could do that mutual trick and better yet if they could do the ``zero-knowledge proof'' trick of proving you're entitled to what you're trying to do (buy booze, whatever) without divulging more information than you strictly have to. Takes fancy math so prime ``let a computer do it'' material. But you still need full control over where the information goes. Do driver's licences give you that? Passports? ID cards?

2. M Gale

Citizencard?

Been around for long enough, and without the expense or privacy issues of the NIR. Plus it's only a tenner.

Anyway, if it's for finance, a utility bill and bank card tends to be good enough. There is no need for a national identity card at all - it's an answer looking for a question.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DBO? OTT 1984esque TLA soup

Look, if the gal has a problem, she needs help. What nobody needs is calvinist finger waggling and tut-tutting and otherwise branding people as `bad' or `undesirable' or other medieval measures that amount to the same thing. Yet that's all a fancy order does. It neither solves anything nor helps anybody. Guess what gets `done'? Carry on government.

31. Richard IV

Let's just hope

that they've done the paperwork correctly this time:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/18/asbo_teen/

Now, personally, I'd be putting her on the Victorian version: a diet of Ink Caps - a lovely kind of mushroom that only becomes rather troublesome to the digestive system in the presence of alcohol :o

32. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

And...

now Her name (etc) has been in all the papers, Her chance of being considered for a job is almost zero, even if She does have nice Puppies!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An ankle tag

The US already use ankle tags for tracking DUI offenders. When they're facing jail, this is their last chance. The ankle tab detects alcohol coming out in the persons sweat and is able to detect an attempt to fool it by using pig skin, for example.#

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/for-10-a-day-defendants-can-prove-theyre-alcohol-free/1062612

34. Ponmyword
    Big Brother

House buying asbo

If they can do that to her, then they can slap a house-purchase ban on all those troughing MPs who flipped their second homes at the tax-payers' expense. Let the bastards live in tents in the woods.

How did a useless fat fecker like Prescott come to own five houses??

This topic is closed for new posts.