back to article The IT management dashboard

Our research in the IT management domain has helped us establish a few basic truths. Most IT professionals agree that IT does an adequate job of supporting the business across a range of areas, but also that it could do a better job if was managed more effectively. ‘Historical’ shortcomings, such as the heavy focus on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Exactly.

"In other words, better management of IT is a source of value to the business. "

But only if you can keep traditional management out of the loop ...

2. jason 7
    Stop

Working with the customer...no fear!

I had several interviews for IT Relationship Manager roles 18 months ago. Being someone who can actually hold a conversation face to face, likes to work with the customer and be if you like, 'the number one partner' to help them get things done, didnt go down too well with the IT managers interviewing me.

I guess the last thing they wanted was their other IT managers calling up complaining that the 'new guy' was actually implementing the common sense/customer friendly 'non-silo' stuff they should have been doing all along. I suppose they would have to do some work for a change.

I guess constant noise from the customer in their minds, means more work. However, that only works until the customer goes elsewhere because nothing ever gets fixed or delivered.

So a tip for those looking for a job in IT. Never come across as customer friendly, that scares IT managers, unfortunately.

3. Escape Velocity
    IT Angle

IT Management Framework Licenses != Success

Good article, but I would argue that to find out how we are doing on the whole one needs to dig a little deeper than just finding out how much money corporations are spending on IT Management licenses and what their respective attitudes are towards the concept.

IT Management frameworks are completely useless without coordinated planning and instrumentation. Much like SAP is just an expensive license without the proper expertise applied top down. (And also like SAP, a successful IT management project should carry the impetus from the top, full participation from all involved lines of business, and expertise from across many disciplines).

In addition to product buy-in not correlating to success, some companies (such as those with extremely high event traffic rates) find that none of the off-the-shelf frameworks address core technological hurdles that must be cleared before an aggregate picture can be developed. Best product, and best practice go right out the door when the operating environment exceeds or does not cooperate with the given specifications. (i.e.: everywhere I have every worked)

I have to agree though, the picture for IT Management looks much better today than it did 10 years ago when precious few executives understood the value gained by putting their weight, and budgets, behind such an initiative.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like