back to article Palm denies it's up for sale

Palm's CEO has been busy telling the world that his company isn't up for sale, which is lucky as no one seems very interested in buying it. Jon Rubinstein, the CEO concerned, has told the Financial Times that he "believe[s] Palm can survive as an independent company" and that the company has "a plan that gets us to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. captain veg Silver badge

Handspring

And the problem with the Handspring Visor was what, exactly?

Handspring were the guys that actually put PalmOS on to a phone, something which Palm itself expressed no interest in doing at the time. The mistake certainly wasn't licensing the software, it was failing to develop it, spinning it off as PalmSource, then destroying the brand by dumping Windows Mobile on its customers.

-A.

2. James 47
    Thumb Up

Maybe Bono will buy it

Ooops, poor Bono

3. Jerome 0

U-turn?

Hold on, isn't this the diametric opposite of what Andrew Orlowski was saying a few days ago? In fact, this article reads almost identically to my comment at the time - although mine wasn't written with the benefit of hindsight. :)

4. Paul Ross
    Happy

pixi?

I'd quite happily buy a Pixi Plus if it was for sale! We don't all want a soft keyboard.

5. David Lucke
    Thumb Up

The Handspring Visor was great!

I had one many moons ago (indeed its still sitting in a draw somewhere, I ought to ebay it). A bit clunkier and less shiny than the Palm, but it was also about half the price... I got it to use as an ebook reader, and it was superb in that role. In fact, having tried some of the various dedicated ebook readers available today, I reckon its still better than all of them, hands down. The only reason I switched to other products (a Dell Axim for many years, and then an iPhone) was to get more functionality in other areas.

6. cmaurand
    Linux

If they'd put WebOS on a Tungsten

and make that tungsten a phone, I buy one in a second. The Pixi and the Pre screens are too small.

--C

7. Ed 4
    Thumb Up

The Handspring Visor *is* great!

About eight years ago, I had a problem with my visor - it stopped responding to touch screen events. I went PDA shopping, but after several weeks, I had not found any that were able to do the things I had been doing on the visor. (One of those things was 'bring it into a no-camera facility', which basically eliminated about 95% of the products right there.)

For some of that time, I was using a palm m130. I can't remember what the exact issues with that PDA were, but they were frustrating. Finally, when I was returning the palm, the sales clerk said he'd just gotten in three refurbished visors. At $100 each, I felt it was a steal, so I bought all three.

I'm now on number 3. I am somewhat concerned with what I'll do after this one stops working, but there is *some* hope - I'm no longer working in a 'no-camera facility'.

Personally, I think if Palm ran into any issues with licensing PalmOS, it was that the company to whom they licensed it made a superior product. My vague recollection of the palm I had for a while suggests that the issue was, Palm was focused on 'innovative', whereas Handspring was focused on 'reliable and usable.' I *like* innovative, but I'll pick 'usable' over 'innovative but not usable' most of the time.

8. Levente Szileszky

HP just announced the purchase of Palm...

...for $5.70 a share which closed at $4.63 today.

HALLELUJA!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like