back to article Facebook farms out 'social graph' to Microsoft and chums

Facebook rejigged itself again yesterday to become even more ubiquitous on the web in a clear battle cry against Google. Users immediately complained to CEO Mark Zuckerberg about Facebook’s latest facelift. “Fk you. You're a piece of sh*t Zuckerberg,” said Facebook user Derek Chan on the first comment posted on the boydroid’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vitani

¡i

Good idea, except you have to register to use Facebook. Imagine if you couldn't use [your favourite search engine] without first logging in?

I can't see Google being too worried about this ...

1. I didn't do IT.
      Happy

Registration

I thought that all that was taken care of automatically? Its just a cookie and IP log lookup that is tied to a unique (anonymous) ID. That's all until they can match up the cookie or IP to your login for GMail, etc. and then all that history snaps into place as yours.

Don't worry about logging in - its already taken care of for you. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Money spinner

FB is not social networking, it's a marketing hub with social networking tacked on the side to give (l)users the illusion of getting something for nothing. It's a money-spinner, nothing more, stop the pretence that it's something it's not.

Never have been near it and quite frankly I and other like minded people seem to have had the right idea!

1. Bassey

Re: Money Spinner

What a bizarre post!

> FB is not social networking, it's a marketing hub with social networking tacked on the side.

> Never have been near it

You claim to be an expert on something you have never been near? I'm not a massive user of Facebook but, as someone who actually HAS an account and has used it a bit, I can tell you I've never seen an advert. It is certainly not a marketing hub. If it was, they wouldn't be losing £100m+ a year. It might become a marketing hub. It might be getting nearer as we speak. But last time I checked (probably Monday) there wasn't an add to be seen.

Weird, weird post!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

Adblock plugin?

The ads are there, sir. If the first column is your applications and online friends, and the second column is your "newsfeed", then the third column has a short notifications, friends suggestion, and then (usually) three postage stamp ads for other facebook "apps" or offsite services ("Get Laid Tonight!"). We call those offsite offers "ads".

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Never seen an ad on FB?

The you must be one of those people that blocks ad's without realising, as the place is laden with them.

I used to see ad's for laptops, telephones, underwear, games, diets you name it, it's there.

Now I just block them all and be done with it.

3. Titus Aduxass
    Stop

We don't need no steenkin' title

Facebook dominance Vs Google dominance is fundamentally flawed.

Everyone needs to search. Not everyone needs a facebook page.

Game over innit.

4. Aaron Em

Hey, cool!

Another reason not to use Facebook!

5. Daniel 1

[me]<--- is seriously reconsidering his current Lovefilm subscription

"If you like a band on Pandora, that information can become irrevocably welded to your public profile, so that, if a future fascist regime comes to consider the band's music subversive, users can be rounded up and shot behind the Chemical Sheds, in a more seamless and integrated fashion, than as ever been achieved before (who knows, fans might even get to briefly meet their rock idols, shortly before their deaths?)"

Facebook: it's like tattooing you life, on your forehead - for people who are scared of needles.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. tas
    Paris Hilton

Aren't you all missing the point?

Google is far from just a search engine company these days. The author must have meant a future revenue space and source of profits will be the overlap of targetted advertising and social networking. Google is a master of advertising and is trying to make GMail et al. a type of social networking. Facebook, whether you like it or not, is a master of social networking at the moment. With Facebook giving out information that enables targetted advertising, it is trying to compete in a similar future revenue space as Google.

As for Microsoft, they already have search services, social networking and limited targetted advertising. So, a future partnership with Facebook to compete against the monster that is Google doesn't seem completely unlikely.

That said, I can't see Google getting its knickers in a twist over just this...

Paris, because she should knows twisted knickers when she sees some!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Watch Southpark's latest episode

And you'll know anything you need to about Facebook.

Seriously though, if you ignore all the farm / aquarium / vampire / random rubbish, FB is a great way of stying in touch with REAL friends in far-away locations and to organise real-life booze-ups with REAL people. I don't need to put my whole life on display to do that, and I am aware there is a privacy / utility tradeoff, just as there is in using anything else on the web (or even off it).

Where FB sucks is that its not transparent with its users exactly what info is collected, how its shared etc. But I could say the same of every government and most non-online big company

9. Hunter
    Thumb Up

It just works

I must admit I can't really remember being bombarded with ads, certainly less than when using Hotmail... FB just works for what I want to use it for, I keep in touch with friends, post occasional photos and keep host some Social Networkign for a small company.

However FB is more than the website we all know (and most love) ... their technology in the background could open the doors to some great new features... I think we should all watch this space!

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Facebook - ID cards - Airport scanners

Just stuff to be avoided...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A principle well understood by Facebook

I think the key thing that Facebook understands is that a fool and his money are soon parted.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Provided on Google's YouTube Service :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrlSkU0TFLs

13. Snert Lee
    Thumb Up

How to regain a measure of privacy on Facebook

Pretty good write up over here:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5522433/how-to-restore-your-privacy-on-facebook

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like