back to article Doctor Who game to transmat in on 5 June

The BBC's first Doctor Who game in years will materialise on its website on 5 June, the Corporation said today, ready for downloading to fans' PCs and Macs. City of the Daleks Trailed after last weekend's episode, Victory of the Daleks, the game, called City of the Daleks, is set in London in 1963 - the year the show started …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Uh Oh

Cue complaints from Activision, Ubisoft et. al. complaining that the BBC's core business is in broadcasting - not writing games - and that this will put them out of business.

Just the same reason there is no iPhone app to neatly retrieve the BBC news.

Private Dentists compete against NHS dentists, people still pay for private medical care rather than use the NHS. Private schools are doing well...

That said, I bet this game will be rubbish because the BBC budget won't be a patch on what was spent on, say, Modern Warfare 2.

2. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Where's the...

...PSN and XBLA versions and don't forget a Wii one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Monies

If the download really is free then it can't be put onto the consoles because the console manufacturers don't like to give away free stuff. (Or at least this is the case with Microsoft)

3. Filippo Silver badge

awesome!

I'm really looking forward to this! I hope that AC's concerns over competition issues won't materialize.

4. Graham Wood

PC & Mac

I'm guessing they mean Windows & MacOS X?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PC & Mac

If you're running System 6.0.7 you're probably out of luck, yes.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Is that...

...a little denim miniskirt she's wearing? Man, she is hot. I know it's just pixels, but then so's a photo. Isn't it? What do you mean it's different? Ah, whatever- I look forward to some dodgy hacks of this game...

6. Anon the mouse

Not the first since starting back up in 2004

Seems like http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/doctorwho/index.html has been airbrushed from the BBCs memory

7. Arclight
    Coat

Why?

I competition issues will arise. Afterall, the US Army have their own free game, sorry, simulator.

As for the Doctor Who game itself, why as a UK TV licence payer am I paying for a free game for the everyone else? Lets face it, this is probably going to suck huge cyberman balls, but cost a fortune to make. Why haven't they done this as a commercial venture to help fund the organisation, especially as they're talking of having to lay off staff because the current licence isn't enough.

Mines the coat having its pockets emptied by the beeb

8. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Coat

Choices?

Do we get the option to bring back the bootilicious Freema Agyeman?

Mine has the very long scarf, being a dirty old man.

1. J-Wick
      Thumb Up

Billie Piper for me!

I know a lot of you don't agree but Billie can <insert your own lame Dr. Who double-entendre here> anyday. Though this new bird seems pretty promising too. The saucy minx.

9. haaz
    Thumb Up

Looking forward to this, yes yes

I'm glad they're making it for the Mac -- hopefully it'll run on my wee 2 GHz Core Duo 2 CPU. Moreover, my seven-year-old daughter will dig it too. I'll always treasure the day that my then four-year-old little miss asked me, "Papa, can we watch 'Doctor Who'?"

I knew then that she was one of us.

10. Elmer Phud
    Paris Hilton

Wankers

I see the usual batch of 'shag the assistant' hairy palm commenters are back.

Never really intetested in the plot - only criterion for a new assistant is 'Can I knock one off while watching a kids TV programme?'

(Mind you, most of 'em missed out on a Blue Peter prog a while back - it had a feature showing Victorian underwear with Sarah Greene modelling some of the articles.)

Paris -- as I guess most of the 'only if I can shag it' people wouldn't know what to do.

11. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Pint

@Elmer Phud

I object to your "hairy palm commenters" label, they never get a chance to grow!

Yes, its Friday...

12. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Sarah Greene is 52. ...Which is okay.

And I don't remember when she was a Doctor Who companion - but Peter Purves was (before my time).

No, that's not an unfortunate name.

Since apparently in the game the Daleks have conquered the Earth in 1963 (I'm thinking "interfering in the Cuban missile crisis"), shall we concentrate on that and not on looking up the heroine's skirt? There are Japanese computer games if that's what you want.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like