back to article Angry Romanian hackers deface Telegraph for Top Gear toss

Subdomains maintained by The Daily Telegraph website were defaced by a group of angry Romanian hackers on Thursday. The two subdomains - shortbreaks.telegraph.co.uk and wine-and-dine.telegraph.co.uk/site/index.php - were sprayed with identical digital graffiti by the hackers from the previously unknown RNS – Romanian National …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Carrierbag Head

Bloody...

Bloody Romanian gypsy hackers

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is good...yes?

How the hell does this guy know that clarkson wasn't waving at an actual Romanian gypsey?

1. Wommit
      Thumb Down

Wasn't it

Captain Slow that pi$$ed them off?

1. Petrea Mitchell

No

It was Clarkson. (Isn't it always?) Mr. May had some quite nice things to say about certain aspects of Romania.

No image selection because there is no Dacia Sandero icon...

3. SuperTim

They have a point....

It's hard enough to be romanian, without being confused with people who tarmac your drive and leave burning matresses in your back garden.....

Personally I adore the gentle romany folk, with their endless supply of lucky heather and clothes pegs. They would always pray for you. If only we could all be more understanding......

I am looking at you Mssrs Clarkeson and May. (nobody would take the hamster seriously though would they.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

We all know....

that IOrish Pikies are the true Gypsies...these Romany types are just bloody foreign no good layabouts...

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

eh?

but there are gypsies everywhere including romania!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

@ You know who you are

I've rejected your comment. If you're going to be a racist twat, you can do it elsewhere. Do it again here and I'll zap your account.

1. Steve Evans
        Welcome

Ah....

The strain of giving us free reign on the allergic reaction death sentence story has finally proved too much.

I for one welcome our returning 8 inch heel wearing modermatrix... Grrrr!

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

it's "free rein"

Only the Moderatrix reigns supreme here.

6. Neil 7
    FAIL

Oh. My. God.

The Telegraph - hacked by Gypsies.

How embarrassing.

1. Etrien Dautre

Much Bigger Hack Ahead

Housing and Gardening is a host for much bigger picture players' exchange.

"Banks. Bridges. Telegraph. We should drive it on top gear there".

(C) 1917 V. Lenin, St. Petersburg. The prime targets of the rebellion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

ha ha ha

Romanians are not gypsies, they are very intelligent people.

The second spoken language in the Microsoft Company is ... ROMANIAN!!!

TELL ME WHY???

1. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Hoo hoo hoo

I don't know, but the second WRITTEN language is swahili - explain that one! ;p

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty harsh stuff

"Know that we will not stop here"

What could possibly be more shocking than defacing a seldom-visited sub-page of a moderately popular website? Defacing the Homes & Gardens page? Or just step it up to all out warfare? I will assume that these Romanians aren't speaking for their countrymen with any kind of official status.

8. Mike 119
    Troll

Well.

Nice.

Top Gear just started airing in Romainia has it?

9. kat_bg

gypsies

Although I don't approve hacking , the hackers in this case had a point. You should not confuse the romanian people with gypsies. Clarkson tried to make a joke but unfortunately was not a good one.

10. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

Knicker = twist

Common' Its not like they singled the romanians out for ridicule

[clarkson voice]

..... Until now

[/clarkson voice]

11. asdf
    Flame

The Romanians I know

actually are more biased against the gypsies than anybody I have ever met. Remember they live with them and their antics.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RE: The Romanians I know

"Remember they live with them and their antics."

Except they don't - Gypsies are spread across most of Europe.

12. asdf
    Thumb Up

if only all gypsies were like

Brad Pitt and his crew in Snatch. What is the term, Parkees? (sorry if racist just going by term in movie)

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

re : Parkees?

No. It's "Pikeys" with a Lahndan accent. I have yet to discover if it's racist or not.

Some people also think that "chav" is racist. I have no idea.

1. Naughtyhorse

Chav

chav isnt racist, it's species-ist

we chose to crawl from the primordial slime, they stayed put

2. ravenviz Silver badge
      Happy

@asdf

Lol, I think it's 'pikies' in a Cockney accent! You'll have to look it up though! ;-)

13. J 3
    WTF?

Gypsies aren't Romanians?

Well, I believe it's pretty obvious some are... Or were none of them born in Romania?

14. Chris Pasiuk
    Pint

Ignorant Romanian Hackers.

I'm with Mickey, how do you know those weren't Romanian Gypsies? Besides, the very core definition of a Gypsy goes beyond borders--they're nomads!

If this is the episode where they're driving through Romania to get to the twisty highway up north, then the hackers are even dumber. The whole episode was in honor of the best driving highway on the planet and was PROMOTING the country not defiling it.

Hopefuly Cap't Slow doesn't get too depressed over the whole matter. :)

The brew is for Mr May and the rest of Top Gear staff

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is it offensive?

I don't get it. What' wrong with being a gypsy? In actual fact, Romania has a vast population of them. I don't see why it's offensive. Speaking from experience and what i've seen from the vast immigration of romanians near my area (which i'm gonna have to move soon) there is a healthy amount of gypsy romanians. My personal opinion and not of that of theregister.co.uk.

16. Etrien Dautre

Romania Mare Partially

Isn't everyone of us the Cyber Gypsy, after all?

17. Suburban Inmate
    Megaphone

Let's standardise!

Gypsy: respectable member of a travelling community.

Romany/Romanian: as it says on the tin.

Pikey (@asdf: say "PIE-key") - scumbag filth that invade train station car parks, thieve charity boxes and stock from local businesses, lay shit driveways, live in filth and waste oxygen. Not nationality or racially specific.

18. Petrea Mitchell
    FAIL

Wrong newspaper

One small problem with this brilliant hacktivistic revenge is that it was Jeremy Clarkson who made those comments-- and he writes for the Times.

1. Sly

maybe not the brightest hackers then

and they couldn't hack the times, so they went after May's pressers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Murdoch = loo-paper

Petrea wrote: "One small problem with this brilliant hacktivistic revenge is that it was Jeremy Clarkson who made those comments-- and he writes for the Times."

Ah, so the great ocker paywall that Murdoch put up on Sun/Times (I'm sure I've seen a Clarkson rant list in the former too) wasn't strictly to make world+wife pay up for his (Rupe's) opinionated drivel, but to keep one of his star journo's safe from the threat of roving Romanian retribution.

It all starts to make more sense...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

RE: Wrong newspaper

Yes but they'd be unlikely to break the strong security of the brilliant IT staff from Murdock empire's would they ;)

Clarkson Writing - are you sure that describes his column :s

19. Uplink
    Flame

Romanians and Romanian Gypsies

In Romania, the gypsies are seen as a separate nation of people (they even have their own kings and emperors, and their own set of laws, unrecognised by the state, of course), even if they have Romanian citizenship and ID cards. Romanians hate the Romanian Gypsies because wherever they go they screw things up and then they are labeled by their citizenship in the press. The Romanian people then are feared as a whole, even though, statistically speaking, the good/bad people ratio isn't that much different from any other European country (the UK included).

To make matters worse, the Gypsy ethnic group is called "Roma" and "Romani", which collides with "Romanian", even though the terms are similar only by coincidence, not by relation. The Government itself is taking steps, when it can, to dissociate the terms. The ID cards and passports now use the country identification "ROU" (from French "Roumain", "Roumanie"), replacing the age old "ROM" moniker, because "rom" in Romanian means means "gypsy", "member of the Romani people", and foreigners saw "ROM" as meaning "gypsy" as well.

Because the deeds done by these people reach the headlines so fast, the Romanian people are furious. Hacking attempts are just one way of expressing this, and just happen to be a high profile one. I don't condone hacking, mainly because it just adds petrol to the fire, but other means of making it clear that not all Romanians are bad seem to be inadequate in the face of tabloid-like articles.

I've worked on a few European programmes on "gypsy integration", in Romania, and I can tell that it's an excruciating job trying any kind of integration for these people. They'll happily participate in your integration programmes, giving you the impression that they're co-operating and your programme is successful, yet as soon as you're gone, they're back at their antics, making fun of you, behind your back, of how naive you are investing so much money in "educating" them. The only ones profiting from this are the gypsies themselves, yet it has to be tried, hoping that one day a tipping point will be reached.

The Romanians are pissed because they're put in the same pot as the gypsies, and they find this to be very unfair. If you read the papers across Europe, you'll always find mixed articles: one day a Romanian rapes the a woman and/or kills her, the next day a Romanian is killed while protecting somebody from a native. The Romanians are pissed also because the first kind of article reaches first page on the likes of Daily Mail, while the second kind is buried deep on page 66 or something, in small print, on a side column. But then again, that's also true about English, French, American, etc. paedophiles that come to Romania for sex with under-age children, or to adopt children for their internal organs, or they fatally hit a person with their car and they flee to their home country under diplomatic immunity, and so on.

We all have weeds, and the Romanians just happen to show up more often than not.

While writing this, I remembered a film called "Gadjo Dilo". If you can get your hands on it, please watch it. There's one scene in there which shows quite well both the "native" Romanian temper and the Romanian gypsy temper, where a Romanian guy attempts a verbal bad joke about a gypsy - both of them in the same bar, drinking -, in good old Romanian tradition, and the gypsy, showing that he can take a joke, attempts a practical joke of his own: in anger, he throws a glass into the Romanian's face, killing him, in good old gypsy tradition (which typically involves ninja swords, but anything will do if you don't have one around).

Thanks for reading.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Suggestion

Why not change the name of the country back to "Dacia" and have done with it?

2. Etrien Dautre

It's Int'national

"I remembered a film called "Gadjo Dilo"" -

yes, "gadjo" is for "alien", "one of white tribe". They don't call colored people gadjos, as far as me remembers. Seems like this word is used everywhere on Earth, including Romania.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

RE: Romanians and Romanian Gypsies

"I've worked on a few European programmes on "gypsy integration", in Romania, and I can tell that it's an excruciating job trying any kind of integration for these people."

Could that be because they reject many of the established norms in our culture. Which, let's face it, they have every right to do? Why not just leave them to do their own thing?

I mean it's not as though we have special integration programmes for the Welsh or Irish or anything. They have their own customs and that helps make the world a more colourful place.

Admittedly, some of them may cause some trouble - wouldn't you if the government was trying to take away a way of life which your ancestors had for thousands of years?

20. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

A gross slur against the cultural heritage of a proud people.*

So BAU on top gear.

Mine's the one with the airline ticket to Pikeie Island

*Yes that statement does apply to both Romanians and Travelers.

21. Apophys
    Stop

Standardise correctly

@Suburban Inmate: Romany is NOT, I repeat, NOT the same thing as Romanian!

The names are very similar, but Romany refers to the Gypsies (the travellers AND the beggars on the streets AND the ones you see in the shanty towns).

The Romanian gypsies intentionally try to use the Romany name because they want to escape the stigma of being a gypsy. All they do in the process is to tarnish the name of the Romanians.

1. Marvin the Martian
      Troll

Lies!

Soon you'll claim that both Romany and Romanian are different from Roman. Stop making stuff up!

1. bothwell

title

But where do the Romulans fit into this, that's what I want to know.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Apophys

"The Romanian gypsies intentionally try to use the Romany name because they want to escape the stigma of being a gypsy."

Funny. I thought that they'd been calling themselves Romani for hundreds of years - before Romania was even called Romania...

You'll find that they don't just call themselves that in Romania either, there are more of them in Spain than in Romania and guess what? They call themselves Romani in Spain too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

22. disgruntled yank

Way to tell them!

All the Telegraph readers, that is, who know Romanian.

23. Connor
    WTF?

Oh the irony...

They are complaining about misrepresentation, yet even though they are angry at BBC programme Top Gear, they target the Telegraph merely because May has a column there? Damn bigots!

24. heyrick Silver badge

Always one to see the world a little differently

"The Lonely Shepard", lovely track. Was used in Kill Bill, if I remember correctly.

25. Adrian Esdaile
    Boffin

Let's get it right.

You can be 'Romany' which is a cultural background, like being Welsh.

You can be gypsy(adj.) as in "I went to Thailand and became a gypsy for a while' ie, travelled rough (or not)

You can be Romanian - a person from Romania.

You can be a Romanian Romany or Romany Romanian, which sounds like tautology but isn't.

You can be a Romanian Romany gypsy, as not all Romany are 'gypsies', ie nomadic.

You cannot be a Thai Welsh Romanian Romany gypsy though, as your head would collapse into a singularity due to the massive opposite cultural overload.

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Grenade

People angry at Clarkson

Nothing new here, move* along...

* or Travel if you prefer.

27. P.Nutt
    Thumb Up

Have they ever watched Top Gear?

Name one country which hasn't been poked fun at by the Top Gear Team, Just goes to show you Romanians have zero sense of humour.

PS - To the Romanians : If you were watching a repeat of the show on "Dave" you probably would find they have cut the interesting local scenic shots which the BBC tend to show. So its all Daves fault :-)

1. Apophys
      Pirate

Yes, we have watched Top Gear

And a lot of us understood it was just Clarkson's style. We are really happy/grateful they came in our country.

But some of us did not and these hackers just reacted to what was a last straw in the "Picture Romania as Europe's reservoir of gypsies and criminals" campaign Western Europe and especially Britain is running.

I do not blame them for what they did. They bring attention to an importand issue. I am sorry they were unable to hit the main website.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Style?

Clarkson has NO style - he's just a cock!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

But...

"Picture Romania as Europe's reservoir of gypsies and criminals"

Isn't that just what it says on the tin?

2. Petrea Mitchell
      Boffin

One country

I'm pretty sure they have never mentioned Tajikistan.

(I have to watch the way cut-down American versions of the shows that aren't available on DVD yet, though, so I suppose I can't be *absolutely* sure...)

28. Apophys
    Thumb Up

Well said

Well said, uplink. Thank you! I didn't know they were trying to modify ROM->ROU. At least somebody in out gouvernment cares...

29. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Go

Clarkson will be heartbroken

He may even cancel his subscription to the Telegraph!

Faster Pussycat Kill Kill!

30. Rob 75
    Thumb Down

Oh Clarkson, you arse.

Romanians please listen!

Clarkson isn't representative of English folk, however illogically popular he may be I still believe enough of the English aren't as passive-regressively racist as that obelisk of fugly. He can't even dress with class. He's the wrong kind of British, like Wayne 'ugh' Rooney or Nick 'giving birth to a pig through my face' Griffin.

Give us another chance!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On yer bike

Clarkson speaks for more of the people than you may realise, the difference is he isn't afraid to say what a lot of us think!!!

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Racism in ROUMania is rife

There are a lot of racists in Ro(u)mania. These "hackers" are likely to hold some pretty extreme right-wing views and probably spend a lot of time and testosterone shooting people on FPS games.

Roma: The gypsy race/tribe , which is nomadic. They do not have a country or state. They generally do not like to mix and see other races/tribes as inferior.

Like most tribes in the history of "humanity".

Ro(u)mania: The country in eastern Europe that I will never visit.

Racism is more ubiquitous than we realise and will not go away by legislation or any amount of PC talk. It's a biological issue, we are territorial primates and have selfish genes.

32. richard tanswell
    Joke

Der Kaiser

Let's hope that Der Kaiser don't do a similar attack for Sir Alex Ferguson's comments recently!

"Typical Romanians"!

33. asdf
    Flame

sterotypes

"There has never been a people that worked as hard at making sure they didn't do any actual work." sounds like an unfair description. Still I guess as an merkin the closest we have to Pikees is what we call TPT (trailer park trash). Though their homes are supposedly mobile, they are anything but so they are usually carefully segregated to the other side of the tracks.

34. darmanesti

hub

The romanian people is so angry to these gypsyes because lately they have more human rights in Romania and natives romanians are simply segregated in their own country. The gypsyes are very units and work in gangs. They violate romanian womans and are very agressive. If you want them why don't took them in your country. It is necessary few moonth, maybe a year to hope never accept them in your teritories. Sorry for my english.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

The method

It was an SQL injection.

The hacker I know personally.

Do not try and mess with him, trust me.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

bui

"Anonymous Coward" .... why do we have to mess with him?

even if we mess with him who cares about his reaction?

The "hacking" term is still misused and an hacker doesn't waste time with such crap!!

An hacker just do things, is curious and doesn't act like a kid!!!

And even if he doesn or not represent an hacker ... who cares!!!!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like