back to article Swiss HSBC data breach victim count trebles

A French prosecutor said bank account details of 79,000 customers was stolen from the Swiss subsidiary of HSBC, three times the number previously admitted by the bank. Bosses at HSBC Private Bank (Switzerland) admitted last month that details of 24,000 bank customers were taken by an IT worker at the bank three years ago. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Random Noise

Hmm

So an insider who happens to live in France stole data which the French gov are now using to investigate tax fraud in a country where usually they cant get access to bank records?

Smells a bit fishy to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theft

As far as i'm concerned, they should go to the ends of the earth to find the tax evaders.

I, a mere small cog in the large wheel of life, would be heartlessly banged up for faailing to pay my tax ... why should the rich get away with it?

Bah humbug. And its only April.

1. Mark 65

Err, no

Whilst I am all for tax evaders being pursued there are good reasons for laws around how evidence is obtained and allowing tax authorities to use stolen information is the thin end of a particulary nasty wedge. Shall we burgle MPs homes to find out if they've been making incorrect expenses claims? Or perhaps we should just hire someone to ransack your home just to double check you've been a good boy?

At first they came for the tax evaders and I said nothing because I didn't evade tax etc etc.

State sponsored theft is not a great example to set for your citizens and indicates a kind of free-for-all mentality. Previous examples with the Germans were clearer on this front as money was paid for the goods rather than as the result of a raid although the UK has offered to buy the info in other reports.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, well...

As examples to set your people, at least state sponsored theft is waaaaay down the list from:

Exploding nuclear weapons during an international test ban treaty

and (the not entirely unrelated)

Sending crack troops to blow up a vessel which sails under another country's flag in the port of another nation. (Usually this would be an act of war).

1. John Hughes
          FAIL

Naughty frogs.

Bad things the Frogs have done:

Exploding nuclear weapons during an international test ban treaty

But since they hadn't signed up to the treaty...

...and they were only exploding the bombs to check there bomb simulation code

...so that they no longer need to explode bombs

...so they've now signed up to the treaty.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think...

...a good question to raise would be whether HSMC would hand over information to the tax office if information was requested on one of us mere mortals. I believe they darn well would just hand it over without so much as a by your leave.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Slap on the wrist!

If I remember rightly, the last lot of info sneaked out of Switzerland merely landed the rich and famous with a bill and a slapped wrist. they never get sent down as us mere mortals would be if caught dodging taxes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like