back to article Sick of the election already? Get a bet on then

And they’re off! As Gordon Brown confirms what most pundits had been expecting for some months – that the General Election will take place on May 6 - Reg readers can now turn this otherwise tedious event into an opportunity for making money. We are of course talking about betting on the outcome- or rather, the outcomes – we …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Colin Barfoot
    Happy

I am not a number. Unless it's 10.

Stats? Gambling? Aww, no, that makes it even more tedious. What I'd like to see is more MP's demonstrating their IT savviness.

Where's that Mandelson chap? Surely he has nothing better to do than write about his queuing torment to get that iPad. He's bound to be popular here. (Or is he too A-list?)

Since the comments section is usually the place for ill-informed remarks could we not reverse the roles and have us plebs under the lights asking questions: What's your favourite distro? What picture do you have on your desktop? What's your password? etc.

MP's can then do the icon picking and drag their fanboism into any thread.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Chaos creates opportunity

2nd law of telemarketing.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Election outcomes - one's for certain

we're all gonna get screwed (more, again)

Really guys, leave it alone. There's nothing of any interest or significance that will happen for at least 4 weeks. So why not give it a rest and focus on IT stuff?

4. Chris Miller

Slightly better?

Odds on a hung parliament:

15/8 Ladbrokes

13/8 PaddyPower

85/40 Betfair

So for a £40 bet, that would give winnings of £115, £105 and £125 respectively.

It's interesting that the Beeb (and most of the papers) are following the line of "the most open election for decades", when the serious money makes the Tories heavily odds on. Personally, I think that all the talk of a hung parliament has lowered the odds on this outcome - I wouldn't put a penny on at less than 3/1.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the most open election for decades"

I thought that meant "we're not sure if anyone's going to vote".

5. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Joke

And if

Guy fawkes was standing, the bookies would refuse bets on him getting into parliment

6. Eden

What are the odds on

What are the bookies paying out on bets that the next plot in power will turn out to be lying self serving weasles with no morals or substance but lots of buddies to backhand?

7. heyrick Silver badge

Before placing your bets...

...given the state of things and the candidates on offer...

...don't forget to factor in voter apathy, which MY (informal) bet says will be fairly substantial. Do people have a trust in their politicians? No. Is there any sense that after all the lies settle, things will really change? No. So why bother. Different face, same routine. Apathy.

8. Oliver Wilson

Pedant's corner

"a measly 1-8 (£1.25 return for every £10 bet)"

You of course mean £1.25 /won/ for every £10 bet, as the /return/ would be £11.25 .

Tsk.

9. pctechxp

I'd like to bet

On several meteorite strikes taking out the lot of the greedy scum.

Not likely to heppen sadly.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How dumb do you have to be

to vote for a party with a sith lord in it?

a vote for labour is a vote for Mandelson lord of darkness

11. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Get your Balls out

Whatever the outcome of the General Election, **PLEASE** let Ed "so what" Balls lose his seat.

The look on that arrogant oaf's face when he realises he's got the boot would (almost) be worth another 5 years of this Labtard Government.

Just a shame we can't vote Lord Mandelweasel of Twatspanner out of office.

12. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

El Reg, tell us your faves!

How do some of the more interesting/interested folk in your office* hope/predict things will go?

(* I understand, from reading the reader mail, it's really more like an abandoned car park / public lavatory full of cast-off Packard Bells, but I do like to be polite.)

13. Lightnix
    Go

Mandelson...

£5 on Mandelson's execution!

14. rototype
    Alert

Why is it ...

Every time we start thinking/talking about elections, The Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again' starts playing in my head...

This topic is closed for new posts.