back to article Law & Order takes on Second Life

The blurred lines between virtual worlds and the real world have been examined in a recent episode of US drama Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. A fictitious virtual world cleverly called Another YOUniverse, which bears a striking resemblance to Second Life, is the main focus of a recent episode of the investigative drama. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

One of the best US series

Not sure of the second life angle, but I can highly recommend L&O:SVU (and the grand-daddy, L&O "classic") as being one the best examples of US drama in years. Having been hooked since 2002, and watched all the back episodes since, I can confidently state that even a mediocre episode (by their own high standards) beats anything UK TV has shown into a cocked hat.

And Mariska Hargitay is quite a looker ....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

game stories

A computer game story was also featured in CSI Miami at some stage in previous series, where some teenagers got so hooked on a game they decided to re-live it. the CSI's then played the game to solve the mystery of where they will strike next

trouble is, stories like that give the "computer games rot kids minds" people ammunition!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Dumb Innocents

"trouble is, stories like that give the "computer games rot kids minds" people ammunition!"

Some would say that it does and they do, Nick, and the sooner the dangers are outed the sooner they will be taken out of the Game.

5. Graham Marsden

"Positive light"?

> Linden Labs and their ilk can rest easy though, as the creators of the virtual world, Another Universe, are painted in a positive light as they willingly assist the detectives in their investigation.

As long as that "willing assistance" doesn't mean turning over the private data of all their customers so the Police can go trawling through it at will and maybe identify a few "sex offenders" whilst they're at it...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

South Park

I think South Park has the best game story.... Make Love Not War-craft.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bet it would be as good

... as the WoW south park episode... that showed some of the dangers of spending too much time in these virtual worlds.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Graham Marsden

To be fair, L&O scripts are very balanced, and I'm consistently surprised at the frank opinions the characters - anti gitmo, anti patriot act, pro compassionate (medical) marijuana. And (espcially L&O) there aer quite often fascinating constitutional issues debated with some interesting views ....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

courtesay of The Simpsons

Law & Order: Elevator Inspectors Unit

"Just as we suspected, the light has gone out on one of the buttons!"

10. Tom

One interesting action

Was when the web people made the sun rise a bunch of hours early. Something along the lines of "This is going to freak out a whole bunch of people". Somehow it is easy to have the sun rise at midnight in a computer. Can't do that in the real world.

Good story line in any event. Always at the top of the TiVo priority list.

No icons here!!

11. Norman Bowring

@ Anonymous Coward

"I can confidently state that even a mediocre episode (by their own high standards) beats anything UK TV has shown into a cocked hat."

You have GOT to be joking!

L & O is the best (sorry - the only half-decent) US show, but to say that it beats anything from the UK into a cocked hat simply boggles the mind!

There are plenty of shows on either side of the pond which are pure and simple rubbish, no doubt about it, but I would certainly prefer what the UK has to offer over what the US has so often stolen from the UK and usually ruined in the process. CSI(put your own town's name here) being a prime example.

L & O is one which runs counter to this trend (All in the Family, Three's Company, Sanford and Son etc.) and has an enviable record of dealing with current themes in an intelligent manner. Methinks Dick Wolf(?), the producer, is the probable reason for their better-than-most track record. I can only hope that it is he who produces the inevitable re-make of Red Cap!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Norman Bowring

I prefer to remain anonymous as given the great record that is the internet, it might save embaressment in the future ... I wasn't attacking anyone personally.

However, back on track. L&O is a regular series - 24 episodes a season. It's been going since 1991, and over that time I can't recall a dreadful episode. L&O:Criminal Intent can get a bit far-fetched at times. And L&O:SVU sometimes plays a bit too much on the heart strings. But the original just keeps on. I can't think of anything in the UK that can be compared on a like-for-like basis.

"Life On Mars" was original, true. And fun. But it was a 2-season special. What else is there ? "The Bill" ?

WRT "CSI", I will grant that "CSI:NY" and "CSI:Miami" are <General Melchett>absolutely dreadful</General Melchett> but thats because Bill Petersen washed his hands of them.

Anyway, it's all down to personal taste ...

13. Demian Phillips

Red Cap

Wasnt the current version already a re-make of a 1960's show?

This topic is closed for new posts.