back to article Tinfoil Condition Red! LHC 7 TeV mega-blasts today

Tuesday will be a big day at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), far and away the most powerful particle-punisher ever assembled by the human race. For the first time ever, boffins operating the colossal machine will cross the streams produced in its twin mighty hadron cannons, colliding particles at never-before-seen 7 Tera- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Xris M
    Pint

A title.

Ummm, does anyone know what time this is happening tomorrow. I only ask because I have exams and don't really want to spend all night revising only to find the world being destroyed around me before I even get a chance to sit them.

My time could be much better spent drinking beer and something like that is just going to annoy me.

2. Disco-Legend-Zeke

Greatest Atom Smasher In The Universe,...

...ever!

3. Morpho Devilpepper
    WTF?

What the eff...?!?

What's wrong with humanity nowadays? Between the anti-LHC fearmongers, the 2012 apocalyptards, and all the splinter/fringe political movements (witness: the Tea-Baggers harassing U.S. senators) it seems like humanity has smelt its end approaching and is tearing itself apart at the seams.

Or maybe it's like in that Twilight Zone episode, where aliens are manipulating our environment in order to drive us mad and attack each other. Not that we need something like that to happen...we do it fine without help.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: What's wrong with humanity nowadays?

Same as it ever was. Of course, the loopiest fruitcakes of several centuries ago were *in power* and called "Sir" rather than "bonkers". Nowadays the nutters are largely powerless and we can give them the derisive laughter and mockery that they (and their ancestors) so richly deserve.

And then there's modern communications which has enabled the trolls to reach a wider audience. (I bet Mr Hubbard is *still* pissing himself. Hell's fires have probably been all but extinguished by now.)

Still, it's not kind to mock the afflicted, so just in case Dr Death is an authentic nutter rather than a troll, I'll stop there.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Tea Baggers!?

I know there are the videos of the Sarah Palin lookalike, but they're going after senators now.

Alright, I'm getting it.

3. Ben Holmes
      Happy

I...

...just love the phrase 'Apocolyptard'. I must use it more in coversation.

Carry on!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Risk assessment

I was always told when doing risk assessments that you are supposed to multiply the risk of an undesirable event by the potential damage it could cause. So, even if the risk to the Earth of the LHC is very, very small indeed, you still need to multiply it by 6,800,000,000 (the Earth's approximate current population) to calculate the potential worst-case impact. If Higgs is correct then Hawking is wrong, and therefore maybe minute black holes of the sort that the LHC could create might not actually evaporate.

(Escape because I wish I could)

5. J 3
    Coat

collaptic explosion

There is a 49% probability that I'm misinformed, but isn't a "collaptic explosion" what people free from the mental disease the dear "Dr." suffers from just an implosion? Does not sound impressive enough, though.

It would be interesting to see and talk to such a guy in person though. Would he look and behave normally -- up to the moment when the "physics" delusions start of course? Or would one be able to spot the nutjob in a crowd even without hearing his ideas?

6. Alien Doctor 1.1
    Joke

Professor Higgs

Was he ever a boatswain?

7. Imagus
    Coat

I wonder...

Is this really all about finding the Higgs boson and/or new particles? I mean, what's the ultimate goal here? Know everything there is to know about how the universe was created, is that it? Nothing more? And why do the media all around the world try so hard to make sure that everyone knows all about this LHC devilry, but when it comes to other huge - and equally "dangerous" - projects (like HAARP, for instance) there always seems to be a complete media blackout? Why is this? You'd almost think they were trying to shift the attention away from what they're really up to.

No, I don't trust them at all. That's why I bought myself a nice and shiny tinfoil coat today. A simple hat just won't do anymore.

8. Chris Miller

Obligatory Ghostbusters reference

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

Dr. Peter Venkman: What?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?

Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

I find myself most concerned about the case

where the whole Earth explodes, leaving Geneva miraculously intact

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The Doctor?

Not the actual Doctor, of course, but...

"The Doctor contends that the LHC may trigger a "magnetic trap of devil" event"

Isn't this clown some kind of Russian tractor mechanic, or is that someone else? Certainly, he needs a sidekick to insert articles before nouns unless the intended effect is to come across all über-Russian, which can be endearing, of course, but probably doesn't help to deliver his sinister message of doom.

Maybe his massed brigade of Zetor tractors is already on its way across Europe...

1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
      Troll

That's right

Mock those whose first language is not the same as yours, structurally, or syntactically. I suspect you can neither write, not converse understandably in Russian. Although if I am subsequently proved incorrect, I apologise profusely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Re: That's right

Oh, hello Mr High Horse!

First of all, no, I don't speak Russian, but I do know Russian-speaking people who speak English and other languages very well. I don't mock these people, and if they ask me for advice, I help them sensitively with whichever area they feel needs improving. However, any fool who threatens people with violence (and you should recall that some scientists actually received death threats in the first round of LHC paranoia) can tolerate a bit of humour at their expense - mild humour at that.

Secondly, while I derive a certain level of pleasure from the idiosyncrasies of others' English, it isn't through derision: if anything, we learn something about their native language in the process of observing how they use another. I know that my own foreign language abilities are far from perfect, but beyond the daily use of those abilities where they mostly suffice, I would almost certainly have someone look over any "really important" public announcements that I may wish to disseminate widely, especially if I wanted to be taken seriously.

And finally, the harshest critics of people's foreign language usage, where that foreign language is often English, are frequently people of the same nationality and culture. If the clown in question were an actual scientist, I'm sure many of his Russian colleagues would have harsher things to say about his prose (not to mention his message) than I do.

Time to dismount, I think.

11. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Boffin

More Energy, Scotty

My predictions, which I make after a long bout of drinking alone with a notepad, a pan and a book on Lie Algebras:

1. Explosion of the whole Earth – 0%.

2. Extermination of Geneva – 0%.

3. Extermination of Europe – 0%.

4. Other harmful unpredictable consequences – 0%.

5. Discovery of new subnuclear energy sources – 0%.

6. Outcomes with no harm and no use – the rest.

GO GO GO! I want to see those papers before I die!!

12. Annihilator
    WTF?

"Crude estimate"

Didn't realise that phrase had been redefined to mean "pulled out of my ass on a whim"

The thing is - prove him wrong folks... I could flip 10 heads in a row, doesn't prove the odds weren't 50-50.

13. Nick Davey
    Black Helicopters

Well....

Environment suits and crowbars at the ready chaps.

14. Tommoxyz

Don't cross the streams

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.

Dr. Peter Venkman: What?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?

Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

1. Marcus Aurelius
      Joke

Is it me

...or is there an echo in here?

15. Richard Stubbs
    Alert

Don't cross the streams!

"There's something very important I forgot to tell you. Don't cross the streams, It would be bad"

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

I, for one, welcome our black hole overlords

"*Though of course he faces stiff opposition in the fruitcake rankings from retired chemistry prof Otto Rössler, who feels that LHC boffins might avoid imploding the Earth only to carelessly compact the Moon down to the size of a pea, or perhaps put out the Sun."

Think of the advantages. Putting out the Sun will definitely prevent global warming. Besides, a nearby singularity might be pretty exciting. We can drop things into it, like asteroids perhaps, and bathe in the radiation produced.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I have faith that this won't happen....

The government will never let this happen. At least not until I send in my tax return....

18. Marky W
    Heart

*clap* *clap* *clap*

"famed wheelchair robovoice savant"

10/10

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hang on...

On the 19th, you said (in "LHC boffins crank beams to 3.5 TeV redline") that the LHC would be limited to 3.5 TeV this year: "work within this limit this year". After that, power connections would be replaced before they ran at the full 7 TeV. Both articles can't be right.

1. mmiied

maths

two 3.5 TeV beams cloiding head on makes 7Tev colision

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

@Hang on...

3.5 TeV each way, when two beams running at 3.5TeV hit the combined force would be 7TeV (3.5+3.5). When they get to 7TeV the beams will hit at 14Tev

3. Abremms

@hang on

after a year or so of 3.5TeV beams colliding at 7TeV, they are taking the machine offline for upgrades. when it comes back online the beams will run at 7TeV for 14 TeV collisions. i think that may be what the article was refering to.

20. K.o.R
    Alien

Is it me...

...or is Dr Energy channelling amanfromMars here?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's the point of posting

if no one's going to be here tomorrow to read it? *runs off into the forest and starts clapping*

22. heyrick Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

Dude, everybody cries...

I never married Alyson Hannigan. Firefly was cancelled just when it was getting interesting. I haven't won the lottery. Work sucks (actually having to do it). The list goes on an on and on. You think I give a damn about a souped-up tazer in the arse-end of reality? This reality is broken. Move along, nothing to see here... not anymore.

Graveyard symbol because we may be dead this time tomorrow. Blinked out as an ephemerol insect lives and dies in the transient evanescence of the cruelty upon which we bestow the name "nature". I guess I should care, but I just can't find it in me to do so. I am numb. Too far gone. I cannot save myself either.

1. mmiied

yer

"I never married Alyson Hannigan. Firefly was cancelled just when it was getting interesting. I haven't won the lottery"

same here man same here I feel your pain

1. Ed Blackshaw Silver badge
        Coat

But there was this one time...

...at band camp...

23. Mouse_Nightshirt
    Flame

April fools disaster headlines looming

Is it just me or is the colossal earth destruction possibility event just a day before April Fool's day?

Are we going to have disaster headlines on Wednesday?

"Earth being turned into a giant omlette courtesy of the LHC"

"Strange beings seen leaving CERN"

"Bread now toxic to birdlife after strange glow emitted from the French/Swiss border"

24. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

Geneva saved?

I note that the extermination of Geneva is only as probable as the extermination of Europe, so why did he single out Geneva? Is there a probability that Europe will be exterminated **except for Geneva**?

Geneva is still in Europe, right?

There again, there is a 48% probability that the whole Earth will explode, but Europe will NOT be exterminated.

Mine's the one with the plane tickets to Geneva in the pocket.

25. elderlybloke
    Thumb Up

49% chance

that we will be spared the horror of global warming . climate change etc.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hum....

And I did not have sex today.....damn. If the planet is doomed I should have the opportunity to score that swedish massage therapist at the University before I hear the BANG tomorrow. It is not fair....

Paris, cause we know the end is near ...

27. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Compact the moon, put out the sun!

Great.

There's absolutely nothing on TV to watch!

Bring it on.

28. ShaggyDoggy

So it's ...

... last orders please

29. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

Er, hang on

49% chance of blowing up teh entire wurldz but only 1% chance of laying waste to Geneva?

The boy's a fool.

30. Richard 39

49% chance we'll all die

Well with my reasoning that means I should only do 49% of work today and by some strange co-incidence that means it's time for me to go home - WOO HOO!!

31. xyz Silver badge
    Alien

Predictions..

The Higgs boson theory is wrong. Hawking is right.

You'll get a shower of small particles which vanish as they go out of scope.

Oh...if you play your cards right, you could end up with a conjoined proton which is bad*

bad* = dimensional iffyness, periodic table gong titsup, whacking great isotopes hoving into view, that sort of thing.

And trust me...in the space between space, something wakens ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

You get the gist.

32. Number6

Election Delay

This is obviously part of Gordon Brown's plans to avoid having to call an election. If the world gets sucked into a black hole (other than the one he helped create) then he won't have to make a decision.

33. Alan Gregory 1

More like old tin foil hat

Weren't the ghostbusters crossing proton beams in excess of 10TeV decades ago??? Proof that nothing untoward will happen.

34. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oh dear !

The armchair prophets are in a turmoil ! The end is nigh !

Excuse me while I consider the vast implications of the proclamations made by wise entities who haven't got a clue.

Hmm, seems to me there are no implications. Sounds rather like Paco Rabanne prophetizing the dreadful land-impact of Mir, and in the end such pie-in-the-sky foretellers will be proven to be just as wrong as he was.

I mean really, if it was so easy to divine the end of the world, given the number of times I've had Jehovah's Witnesses falling over themselves to warn me I think we'd already be done with the whole thing and playing our harps in the rosy clouds.

No, the world is not going to end. Not before the Sun goes nova anyway. Suck it up, doomsayers, and go rant about porcine fever or something.

35. Secretgeek
    Joke

"...nuclear weapon borrowed from Osama bin Laden..."

'Borrowed'? Is he going to give it back when he's finished with it?

(Adopting dodgy middle eastern accent)

"What the hell is this? I let you borrow my perfectly fine wmd and now look at the state of it! Completely vaporised! No, I don't care what you've done to Geneva, I want my bomb back. You better go round to Kim's and get me another. Ptah, you can't trust anyone with your stuff these days."

36. mhenriday

Be worried !

Be very worried !...

Henri

37. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Judging by the press...

...they should have called this the "Large Headline Collider". Why can't they just wait until after the experiment and tell us all about it in tomorrow's edition - if there is one.

1. mmiied

cos we then could not use it

I plan to try this out in a bar tonight

http://xkcd.com/474/

38. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

In perspective

7Tev is 1.12 micro Joules.

However that is per *particle*

there are a *lot* of particles in this thing.

39. John G Imrie
    Linux

Coincedence

The Jury in the SCO v's Novell Court case is due to give their verdict on Tuesday. Is SCO planning to sabotage the LHC, thus destroying the world, in a vain attempt to delay what's coming to them.

40. Chemist

Re : Tinfoil Condition Red! LHC 7 TeV mega-blasts tomorrow

"To raise the probability of survival it is necessary to be at the free air with the stalk of water, food and warm clothes."

I'll be there, but it will probably be with a stalk (?) of beer. Oh and some FRUITCAKE

41. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Destruction of Earth?

Bring it on. Will save me a lot of trouble in the office over the next few weeks...

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Lucky escape for Arsenal if it did.

No, not really. Keep the change.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does anyone have an exact time on the collisions?

It's just I've got some really dull meetings tomorrow, so if the Earth or even just Europe explodes then at least there will be some upside.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hope it does destroy the earth

living is tedious.

you all know its true.

44. Barry Tabrah

Good odds

I think CERN would gladly accept a 5% chance discovery of new subnuclear energy sources.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Luke ...

at 10:00 BST earth date 30-2-2010 I felt a disturbance in the force ... but I could be taking too much fibre in my diet.

Written at 10:39 BST and the event horizon of the LHC Blackhole hasn't reached Lancashire yet.

As noted TV Boffin/ex-Popster, Brian Cox, commented on the various Large Hardon Collider conspiracy theories "Bollocks"

1. Will Shaw

woot!

"and the event horizon of the LHC Blackhole hasn't reached Lancashire yet."

It's probably being deflected by Burnley, as the Pauli Exclusion Principle forbids there to be two holes in the same place at once.

2. Lionel Baden

BST

What the hell is BST ?!?!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BST

BST - British Summer TIme - I know "summer"?? Seriously??

1. Lionel Baden
          Paris Hilton

oohhhhhhhh

Ha ..

well i guess i will just have to get used to it for 6 months or so then forget what BST means by next summer ...

Dammit i feel like dori

Keep on Swimming .. swimming swimming swimming ...

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love the disclaimer...

"The scientific validity of things posted in this forum may stray from reality quite wildly and the reader is advised to keep that in mind"

Can we have something similar for the El Reg comments?

In my view does it really matter what happens. If it causes a super massive black hole, or even a tiny one, then everything would be over so quickly that none of us would have time to notice

47. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Unhappy

Panic on the streets of London

I'm not one to get overly twitchy but this does scare the crap out of me.

Given how bad it could be I'm less than convinced by the scientists who seem to be offering no better than, 'it probably won't go bad'. We are toying with the fabric of the universe and no one is really sure of the outcome. If it does go tits-up I don't see any sign of a Plan B.

If 'this is it', I'd just like to say thanks to El Reg, the Moderatrix and fellow Commentards. Nice knowing you. Maybe see you tomorrow.

1. Les Matthew
      Thumb Up

@Jason Bloomberg

"I'm not one to get overly twitchy but this does scare the crap out of me."

This should put you at your ease.

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

fantastic

definitely worth checking out, awesome webcam view of the main detector hall.

2. Dale Richards
      FAIL

Pull yourself together

"We are toying with the fabric of the universe and no one is really sure of the outcome"

If we were sure of the outcome, there wouldn't be any point doing the experiment. This is the very nature of science. Without experimenting with the unknown, there will be no progress.

48. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

I just want to know when they're going to flick the switch

So I won't hurt myself when I lose conciousness for 137 seconds.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
      Joke

it happened last night

you probably slept through it - I had a strange dream where I was memorising the winners of every horse race for the last 6 months while Bill Gates scrubbed my floor

49. james 68
    Boffin

for shame

surprised you didnt add the live webcam link so we can all watch the event

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html

50. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Groundhog Day

What's the possibility of it producing one of these?

I've got things planned for mine and need at least 12 hours to get myself set up.

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still here. Booooring

the secret is to bang the protons together, guys!

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, there you have it, 7TeV collisions are happening NOW

bit of an anticlimax.

Now, let's turn to more pressing disasters, such as how the posting times on these comments are broken: it's currently 12:40 BST

53. webster phreaky ate my iphone
    Coat

Dr Dark Matter is ...

... depressed?

May be someone should buy him some flowers...

54. Eddie Edwards
    Thumb Up

Woah

Did anyone else just lose consciousness for 147 seconds and see the future?

55. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

The good doctor...

...is probably in the pay of CERN anyway. After all they wouldn't be getting nearly as much publicity were it not for the tin foil hat brigade. Strike that. They'd be getting no publicity were it not for the loonies.

As for Brian Cox and his "bollocks", I'm with him. Any man for whom pie, curry sauce and half rice half chips is a feast is OK by me.

56. Wize

Since blackholes affect the flow of time...

It might be next year before we get sucked in.

57. BoldMan

Already happened

REAL webcam coverage here: http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/

58. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Quantum computer universe?

Hmm.. according to the latest theory the fundamental unit of reality is the bit. As in computer language.

So if just the right sequence of events occurs such as a coincidental cosmic ray impacting a collision region (there are thousands spread across several detectors) it could actually disrupt this fundamental structure of space-time in an unpredictable way.

Effects could vary from new and exotic particles such as monopoles showing up, to mini black holes, Q-balls, strangelets, etc. Oh and there's the possibility of collapsing the wavefunction of say, 5/6ths of the solar system... (BOOM!)

Well if it happens don't say ol' AC didn't warn you. And see you in the Hades Universe...

59. SageBrush
    Black Helicopters

It's a Soviet plot!

Dr. Dark Energy sounds like a Russian version of Gene Ray. While it is certainly comforting to know that the USA isn't the only country to suffer from rampant crackpots, this development worries me. The potential for mutual escalation in the field should be a concern for all of us, why, we could well see the development of a new MAD (Mutual Amused Distraction, in this case).

Perhaps we should start early working on detente, maybe even by introducing Dr. D.E. to the idea of the Timecube.

This topic is closed for new posts.