back to article Coming to a Windows PC near you: 4 critical security updates

Microsoft plans to roll out four "critical" security updates that stamp out remote execution vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer, Office, Outlook Express and Windows Mail. Two of the critical holes reside in Vista, and one in IE 7, programs that were created using Microsoft's vaunted Trustworthy Computing Security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Mackenzie

Vista Security (and Pedantry)

Vista may be unstable, incompatible, overpriced, clunky, bloated and unprepared for the enterprise, but at least it's the most secure Windows ever. Shame that's a bit like saying the fastest sloth but there you go.

Also, I think you mean "advance notice," not "advanced." I see this a lot these days. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Funny how that myth is easily propagated

What makes Vista more secure than XP ? The UAC ? You can disable it, and I'll bet that any user spending a day on the thing will end up doing so if only to save his sanity. Besides, the UAC does not prevent users from blindly clicking OK like they usually do.

What else do we have, the integrated firewall ? It's only marginally better than XP SP2 if I'm not mistaken, but apparently it does block outgoing stuff, so it IS better.

Unfortunately, a software firewall is something you can get for free anyway, so it's not really a Vista advantage, now is it ?

What else is secure about Vista ? Ah yes, the fact that hardly anyone is using it. That's undeniably a point in its favor.

But it's also the only one.

3. gareth

@ Geoff Mackenzie

if you think secure is being vunerable to 13 year old virus written for a previously patched version of windows, then yeah but i would say this makes vista the least secure version of windows

not to mention the pain in the ass it is with all its measures to try to protect its system files which if the user is running decent firewall and antivirus is pointless anyway

if you want a secure windows operating system stick with xp at least they have had enough time to sort the major vunerabilities

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Critical Mass ......for AIMetaMorphOSiS too.

Surely it must have dawned on Microsoft, that with such a log history of regular "critical" security updates, it is the System spawning its own attacks at Attempts 42 Secure Information for Gain rather than the more Logical Alternative in Sharing IT for its Profit.

It is only a few lines of Code at the Top in a Room with AIView which Changes the Program 42 Show.

5. Dan Goodin (Written by Reg staff)

you're right

Indeed, it is advance notice. Thanks for spotting that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Critical Updates?

The only thing that seems to infect pc's more than viruses is the very increasingly bloated "patches".

Saying Vista is the most secure OS from Windows is laughable - I could make my pc really secure - by turning it off - and it would STILL be more usable than Vista.

7. Chris Cheale

What makes Vista better than XP...

Vista has a black UI theme - ooooooooh, would fit the NASA skin on firefox so much better than the XP silver.

Give it 5 years when even cheap hardware can run Vista with ease and people might have gotten around to writing Vista drivers for that hardware, oh and Microsoft may have gotten the worst of the bugs out so that Vista is comparible to XP now (which actually isn't _that_ bad) - then I might consider changing.

Theoretically Vista has the potential to be more secure and stable than XP and I remember the outcry against the default XP luna theme when it came out, how much of a system hog it was and so on - Vista is giving me a sense of deja vu.

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Vista unusable?!

I think many people just have this perception that Vista is 'unusable' just because they've heard it doesn't work with legacy hardware. Times change. I've had NO problems with my Vista installation and it runs FASTER than XP and doesn't crash unlike XP.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please grow up

"Saying Vista is the most secure OS from Windows is laughable - I could make my pc really secure - by turning it off - and it would STILL be more usable than Vista."

Come on can you please post comments that don't sound like they were written by a ranting 16 year old. Vista has a few teething problems which will soon be sorted i remember exactly the same issues when XP was releasedand everyone made exactly the same comments about it and compared it to Win2k..... in a couple of years you can all talk about how you all love Vista and Windows 8 is a load of rubbish YAWN!!!!!

10. Warren
    Gates Horns

Re; Please grow up

WOW!!!

Microsoft Fanboi - I didn't know they existed. Bill? is that you?

11. J. Cook Silver badge
    Dead Vulture

Agreed- It's a new OS...

EVERY new OS has it's fair share of bugs, faults, and 'quirks', and caused wailing, gnashing of teeth, and hardware upgrades from the people not running on the 'current' generation of hardware.

we have a mix of older non-HT pentium 4s, P4 HT based, and Core systems at $employer. we are not migrating to vista until a service pack comes out and/or better support for running in a corporate enviroment occurs (which will probably happen. I imagine that by the time we do, most of our non-HT system will have been given the boot.

This topic is closed for new posts.