back to article Loch Ness Stig blurred into oblivion

The curious case of the Loch Ness Stig just got a lot curioser, and the conspiracy thoeorists among you would do well to don your tinfoil hats and keep a sharp eye out for approaching black helicopters. Back in January, the Top Gear wheelsman was spotted on Street View close to Scotland's famous body of water. It took the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank Sattler
    Thumb Up

Title goes here

He's not being blurred, he's teleporting... I knew he'd had advanced technology available to hiim, I just didn't realise quite how advanced!

2. Nic 3
    Stop

"Well done sir. We couldn't have put it better ourselves. ®" ?

"Well done sir. We couldn't have put it better ourselves. ®" ?

Seriously?

1. chr0m4t1c
      Thumb Up

Yeah

The standard of journalism has gone right downhill recently.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Nic3: Seriously?

No. Not "Seriously?". It was what is known as a joke. Jokes are an earthling device.

3. Steve Foster

Copyright?

Perhaps the BBC have issued a DMCA Notice (or similar), on the grounds that Stig's image is copyright.

1. Arclight

How

How can you copyright a man in white overalls and white helmet? A combination of that and the name, maybe

4. madmattttt
    Go

petition...

We need to start a petition to get loch ness stig unblurred

no one blurs the stig and gets away with it!

5. Dale 3

DRM

It must be a copyright or trademark thing.

6. Mr Larrington
    FAIL

Oi! Google! No!

Hands off The Stig, you bounders!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

responding to request?

Clearly Google received a request saying "I am the Stig, remove my image immediately".

8. Paul 4
    Dead Vulture

Shetland Islands

That'll be Shetland then NOT Shetland Islands...

9. Shady
    Go

Some say...

...that he has the power to pixellate himeself...

..and that he is the only person who can defeat Google.

All we know, is that he's called the Stig.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Some say

he can pixelate images of himself at will and that he can get out of Tiger Woods drive without crashing, we just know he's called The Stig..

Perhaps The Stig should take the Streetview Wagon around the TopGear test track, That might produce some interesting pictures.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect...

...that His Monotonedness triggered their "OMG, nudity!" filter.

12. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

Thats not blurring...

... he's just moving so fast, that the image cant keep up!

13. Campbeltonian

It's obvious.

They had to pixellate his face... but nobody knows where the Stig keeps his face. Better safe than sorry.

14. max allan

Only his front is blurred

If you go along the road a bit and look at his side, it's completely unblurred (except by distance/resolution)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=57.226061,-4.572169&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.000575,37.749023&ie=UTF8&ll=57.22573,-4.572732&spn=0,359.995392&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=57.225634,-4.572805&panoid=AcINEiOu-UyhyUIqUTO78w&cbp=12,42.52,,3,0.06

15. Adrian Jackson

It's not blurred

He's just going very, very fast.

16. lawndart

That's not pixellation

That's a result of the image reacting to the approach of Easter.

It's Stigmata.

1. Graham Bartlett

@lawndart

That's dreadful, but also strangely wonderful. I salute you, sir!

17. Seanmon
    Alert

Eek!

The PC police have developed a transporter beam!

That bodes a bit for the next series of Top Gear, I'd say.

18. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

cant possibly be copyright

the photo was taken in a public place,

but i am wondering who made the complaint..... i was looking forward to the inevitable clarkson "i have been surfing the interwebs again," and watching hammond and may groan again.....

19. Digital Sorceress
    Megaphone

Some say...

... that even a mere image of him is more powerful that Google, and that his mother is the Loch Ness Monster.

All we know is, he's called "The Stig"

20. The First Dave

untitled

Could have been worse - am I the only to note that the Shetlander's jeans are un-belted?

21. Dave Edmondston
    Thumb Down

BBC Copyright

Being as there was no 'and finally' style self promotion on any of the UK's Pravda outlets concerning this story, we can only presume they were less than pleased with this. They get a tad touchy when there's the mearest hint of copyright infringement...

22. Dave Bell
    Boffin

Real or fake?

Geting a real Stig would be something Clarkson and co. could use, and I'm not sure what would be wrong with the image. It's something really happening in public place.

If some ingenious Scot managed a fake Stig, well done, sir, but I can understand the BBC wishing to suppress the image.

The last I heard, the blue Police boxes around Glasgow and Edinburgh are now very small coffee shops, and no longer blue. Would the BBC have objected to them, had they not been changed?

23. Alan Esworthy
    Thumb Up

Friendly!

What a friendly fellow that is in the last picture, and evidently quite a Google fan as well, giving them a double peace sign. Eh? What's that? Ah. So it's different when the hand's turned the other way, then.

Never mind.

24. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

"handing it over to our tame racing driver..."

"some say... he makes computers go blind..."

My coat's in that Maserati over there...

25. I didn't do IT.
    Happy

Some say,

... that he is able to warp space and time around himself,

... and that he develops a "masculine" itch around Google Opels.

;)

26. Mr Mark V Thomas
    Coat

Re: "handing it over to our tame racing driver"

"Some say,. that he can make speed camera images, pixellated & blurry, by his very physical presence nearby... All we know, he's called The Stig...".

My coat's in the Mark 2 Jaguar, formerly owned by Chris Evans....

27. Badbob
    Pint

Some say...

....that he invited the invasion of the flying pliers/side cutter people in the West Midlands, and that he is a considered a deity by the people of Drumnadrochit.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.

28. David Sidebotham
    Jobs Halo

Sorry it's not good enough

Take a look at where Stig allegedly stands. He obviously arrived by car, so, in the lay-by opposite what do we find, one Astra and one Honda Civic. Is this Stig? I don't think so, just Scottish lookalike. What a disappointment.

29. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

BBC Office one blurred now too

While the best BBC Office ones is still visible (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?cbp=12,146.01,,3,-12.08&cbll=51.514925,-0.228768&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=51.514926,-0.228765&spn=0,359.99264&t=h&z=17&panoid=cRXQyRB9ywmaZVKuBSddWw|) one step up the road and he's now blurred (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?cbp=12,172.44,,3,-11.71&cbll=51.51494,-0.228553&layer=c&ie=UTF8&t=h&panoid=8f5C5uzI0xU7z_qSRGms8Q&ll=51.514925,-0.22875&spn=0,359.992822&z=17)

30. dylan 4
    Paris Hilton

is it just me...

...or is there a small part of the original picture that is blurred out?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

They redo some shooting

I know because I had my naked arse hanging out of my car window at them when I saw them in a nearby village. On streetview you can see that the views of this road are wet and I am missing, whereas the rest of the village was shot on a totally dry day, when I was there.

I'm glad to have cost the evil tyrants an bit more time and money!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like