back to article Universal goes online to win HD DVD votes

Universal has announced a series of new interactive features for HD DVDs. It claims the new internet infrastructure allows users to take advantage of web-enabled HD DVD players, and sounds strikingly similar to the BD Live facility for Blu-ray. Universal_UShop U-Shop: HD DVD fans will have direct access to film content and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Drain

BD Live? Where is it?

Blu-Ray is a lot of things, most are still in theory.

There are no blu-ray players that are capable of running an internet connection except the ps3. Even then, to run BD live it will need a firmware update.

The rest of the players on the market are simply stuck. They are known as profile 1.0, soon there will be 1.1 and then, finally, 2.0 which will have BD live.

Trust me, I'm an owner of a PS3 and HD. HD is currently more advanced.

2. Scott Mckenzie

Careful there Rob..

...you're in danger of making sense owing to an understanding of the topic!

This has been planned and available should it be desired since the standard (a novel concept to BR...) was announced, as you rightly point out, BR is currently on profile 1.0, 1.1 due imminently and 2.0 due "sometime next year"

Oh and anyone for backward compatibility... all the HD discs with this feature on will play in current HD players, none of the 1.1/2.0 will though, which is nice.

3. The_Omega_Man
    Thumb Down

I thought this was an article on advancement for HD DVD!

Is it possible to have just ONE complete article for some advantage for HD DVD which does NOT include a promotion for Blu-Ray!?!?! I mean please, it is really beginning to get annoying!

"Blu-ray has already unveiled a similar service, dubbed BD Live or Profile 2.0, which adds network connectivity to the list of mandatory functions of Blu-ray players. In August, Daewoo launched the DBP-1000, which supports the full BD specification and access to BD Live."

Where is this similar service and how can I use it today? Can I buy this Daewoo player today? Can any consumer on the Planet use BD Live today? Was it truly necessary to even mention this non-fact!?!

This topic is closed for new posts.