back to article Pirate Bay blocking row silenced in Norway

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) and a pro-copyright group have given up their fight to get telecoms outfit Telenor to block access to The Pirate Bay in Norway. The rights' holders have twice failed to convince Telenor to comply with its demands to cut off the BitTorrent tracker decentralised …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stef 4
    Joke

Eh?

"The IFPI said pursuing the ISP through the courts any further would be a waste of money..."

How can it be a waste of money? I thought piracy was costing the industry $billions per year, and when they won they would obviously stop piracy dead in its tracks. Isn't that worth a few dollars to continue the 'good fight'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe they have finally cought on...

... that they can't shut this down.

These copyright laws they are hopelessly trying to enforce were fine 30 years ago in the analog world, and could easily be enforced in that world. - But the problem today is that the same people that were enforcing them 30 years ago are now trying to enforce it in the digital world, fighting against the people responsible for building and maintaining that world.

As soon as they manage to block one method, two more have been *created* and already put to use. It's a losing battle.

Their only option is to get with the program and adapt their copyright laws to better suit the new digital world; so that we can *freely* use the materials as we see fit without having to go through DMR restrictions and other such crap. - And no, I am not talking about *giving* the materials away. I bet most users of sites like ThePiratebay would be happy to pay for the materials (given that they are sold at reasonable prices!). Just because they *can* steal it doesn't mean they will. (We do have a moral consciousness, you know.)

Unless, of course, rather than use this new technology for everybody's benefit, you try to block it and force us backwards into the analog world. - Or, alternatively, try to impose "analog" restrictions on digital materials (DMR and such methods). -- If you make stealing the only *viable* option...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

i dont know why they bother

the second they have shut 1 down people are long gone and on to another service.

The laww just isnt built to deal with it.

how long have they been trying to shut down TPB ??

3. Gordon861

Waste of Money?

It's only a waste of money if you loose, they must know they have no chance to win.

1. Steen Hive
      Thumb Up

$$$$ lettersand/ordigits

Of course they have no chance to win. In the absence of bent judges like Tomas Norström, bent coppers like Jim Keyzer, or bent politicians like Mandelson, their sick little universe of makey-uppey property laws and private militias dissipates like a fart, leaving only the faint smell of corruption behind..

4. Mark 65
    FAIL

Nice

"In early 2009 Ireland's biggest ISP, Eircom, agreed to block access to any website the music industry claimed was responsible for illegal music-swapping."

Sounds like the kind of ISP everyone would surely love to be with. Have they perchance a monopoly on internet connectivity, hence they don't give a f*ck about customers?

No due process, no care-factor. Lovely.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know what's next

They've determined that throwing some lobbying dosh around will get them their very own law, bitch, and *then* they can throw their weight around cost-effectively.

Give it a year, they'll be back.

6. James Woods

eh?

rapidshare seems to run fine under level3. in fact rapidshare run so good that now when things are flagged as piracy rapidshare will take you to a site to buy something.

sounds like napster without ever having to pay up or face charges. good job level3 & rapidshare.

level3 has never responded to questions regarding rapidshare knowingly hosting pirated material.

our company got threatened once over some piracy watchdog group since they sit there and sniff out trackers. I can name you all the software i've bought in the last 10 years and im not going to sit here and pay more for software so that these companies can pay off watchdog groups to sit in their parents basements and watch torrent trackers.

7. fishfork
    Thumb Up

way to go Telenor Norway

way to go Telenor Norway! youre right! blocking access to internet sites amounts to the post office opening mail before determining if the letter is good to go. Props!!

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Hats off to Telenor

The only ISP in the world where management actually has balls.

1. Cantab

credit where credit's due

talk talk aren't doing badly here in the uk

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long before

Before some sanctimonious tw4t with a black and white view of the world and limited vocabulary starts using the term freetard?

Before this post I'll bet.

This topic is closed for new posts.