back to article Microsoft boffin scoops Turing Award

A Microsoft researcher has received the Turing Award in recognition for his pioneering work in personal computing hardware and networking technology development. Chuck Thacker, 67, received the computing industry's equivalent of a Nobel prize on Tuesday for his work on the Alto personal computer and Ethernet networking at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Microsoft

Have ANY of their software developers ever won this award?

1. Don Mitchell

Turing Awards

The Turing Award is generally given to researchers, not developers. Jim Gray and Butler Lampson are the only other Turing Award winners who have been at Microsoft, that I can think of.

2. Nahmani

Proofreading? I've heard of it.

I'm French, so perhaps i'm not aware of all the intricacies of english, but "A Microsoft researcher was received the Turing Award" and then "Thacker [..] expressed surprising "?

Has the language really evolved that much while i was looking away?

3. Lottie

Respect!!

Dude sounds like he deserved it much sooner!

4. The Other Steve
    Gates Horns

And cue

The whiny freetards complaining about this going to someone associated with Microsoft.

1. Martin Owens

But

His work was done at Xerox Parc.

1. The Other Steve
        FAIL

orly?

Thanks Martin, I did read the article

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft. Boffin

Sounds like an oxymoron to me..

6. Paul_Murphy
    Coat

Argh!

>'expressed surprising at receiving the award'

>'before going on to focus of developing a'

This article is like a beta release with a note to the testers to report the bugs!

fume fume

Only popped back to see if the first line had been corrected - I don't know why I bothered.

Ok, Ok, I'm going....

ttfn

7. The First Dave
    Dead Vulture

untitled

Not sure what they mean about inventing the tablet PC - did he build the Apple Newton, or the original Palm Pilot, or what?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

meh

When they were collecting to erect a statue to Turing, the Microsoft talking head didn't even know who he was. No Turing award should ever go near any Redmond denizen!

Why is there no "mildly grumpy" icon? I am sure it'd get a lot of use..

9. Idiots _Quotient
    Boffin

We do not like Bill & Co Rite

still Most of Us

wanna be Bill

wanna Meet Him

wanna see him

wanna talk to him

wanna work for him

But the Problem is we can not Replicate what he did

That is He made Billions Of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ buy giving US Micro$hit

In reality this is the only way to run a succesful Business $pecially in U$WORLD

10. Steven Knox
    Joke

Turing Award?

So, in a simple conversational test, the interviewer was unable to distinguish between the responses of the programmer and those of an actual human being?

That is truly amazing!

11. Rufus Nice
    Terminator

Twas ever thus

Oh here we go again. All we hear about is Turing Award. Chuck Thacker I really feel for you. This just shows us Microsoft's real agenda. No... Just No.

12. Ascylto
    Alert

Prints all over it

'expressed surprising at receiving the award'

'before going on to focus of developing a'

Yep, this is Microsoft alright!

Never mind, there'll be a patch next Tuesday or whenever.

Whiny Freetard.

13. wsm

More boxes

When someone tries to be clever and tells you to think outside the box and if you can restrain yourself from doing him damage, do you ask "what box?" Or do you simply make more boxes.

This fellow has made more boxes for the rest of us to escape. Not a bad career move, but still just one which makes another set of limitations.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like