back to article Italian website names 40GB PS3 price

Sony's 40GB PlayStation 3 will cost €400 ($566/£277) in Europe, if a product page posted on an Italian retail chain's website is to be believed. It's expected to cost $400 (€283/£196) in the US. The website, Se-Dici Film, claims the console is available to buy immediately, which seems unlikely given the anticipated US release …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott

No PS2 Compatibility rumor - AGAIN.

Again there is the rumor of no PS2 compatibility on a release of the PS3 to "reduce cost". Since the PS3 now has software emulation in place for PS1/PS2 games, this is a no-brainer yet again.

2. Ash

Another iPhone "brick" update system?

Will they cripple 40gb PS3's which are software-updated to run PS1 / PS2 games? Is their a facility to do this?

If not, it seems completely pointless.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backwards comp

It does make some sense for the rumor about PS2 compatibility actually.

Although it is true that most emulation is done with software, the graphics chip of the PS2 is still on board the euro PS3s. However.. seeing the price of a PS2 at the moment, it is doubtful this will save much (a motherboard redesign also isn't free), but is it impossible to emulate the PS2 graphics chip (just a bit harder then the MIPS) seeing quite some PC's manage just fine.

4. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. PS2 compatibility

Actually, it's not a no-brainer. The PS3's PS2/PSone emulation is now part of the system software. Sony might well want to leave it out because (a) relatively few consumers actually use it, and (b) it creates a differentiator beyond a mere 20GB of hard drive space with the more expensive console.

Hardcore gamers like the idea of backwards compatibility, but consumers generally don't. Yes, it shouldn't make much if any financial difference if Sony includes PS2 support in the 40GB PS3, but it clearly establishes the more expensive model as 'the one to have' if you're a serious gamer.

Crazy, yes, but understandable.

5. Joerg

Compatibility issues, what ?

@Backwards comp: PS3 backwards compatibility is going to be software only even on previous models that had the EmotionEngine PS2/PS1 chip onboard, which practically is a PS2+PS1 on a single chip.

By using software emulation Cell the fact of the EE chip on a PS3 it's a moot point, it's not used at all.

6. Joerg

European prices are just insane, period.

@Mark: The EU is a burocrats paradise, indeed but this doesn't mean that multinationals increasing their products prices on purpose is a good thing to do.

You should consider the real production cost and not the final end-user cost. In UK the situation gets even worse than in other European countries since they always convert $1=£1... go figure.. The $399 PS3 40GB should be priced €299 to be fair.. but since no other manufacturer is doing that, obviously Sony won't be the first to do it..

7. Adam Onesti

PS3 20gb

I still dont get this myself really, didn't Sony have a low end model that cost less, that they then didn't launch in the EU, namely the 20gb model.

Also I dont understand how they can remove the USB connections as has been rumoured, as how the hell would you then charge the controllers!

In fact if you look at the PS3 the only things the can conceivably get away with removing are the memory card readers and the wi-fi connection, which was what was removed from the 20gb base model... So if this does come about its basically going to be the 20gb base model with an increased 40gb harddrive and using the new PS3 reference design without the hardware emulation for PS1/PS2 games.

8. Simon Wilson

Low Cost Ps3 Thank You

Reality has come to Sony, hopefully the new 40GB will be under 250 mark, this will push sales ,regardless of halo 3 or the wii

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hard drivge

So is the drive in the PS2 a user modifyable part? i.e. can I just drop in a "spare" SATA drive like I can on my TiVO?

10. Jim Cosser

PS3 HD

Yes in answer to the HD questions I've upgraded my PS3 to 160 Gb and it doesnt invalidate warranty in fact they have made it really easy to do.

11. Gavin Day

no need

@Mark again..

'Are all your editors as stupid as Tony Smith.'

Surely something on the lines of:

'your editor has not taken into consideration higher european taxing and levvies on non-eu goods. Taking this into consideration, the pricing is reasonably close'.

would have sufficed..?

12. Joerg

More Italian shops selling PS3 at 399Euros...

This one is claiming to have the PS3 40GB available for shipping on October 10th for 399Euros :

http://www.cipcipstore.it/php/catalogo.php?art_code=1083

And this one is selling the PS3 60GB at just 399Euros:

http://www.yammo.it/product.php?productid=366

13. Iain

re: Michael

Yes, the current PS3s in the US are without the EE now as well. Only the 60Gb model had it, and nearly all of those have gone from the shelves now, leaving just the $599 80Gb one that is like European machines.

If/when I ever get a PS3, I'll just go for a US model. They're multi-voltage and multi-region for PS3 games, so it's no problem as long as I keep my UK-spec PS2.

14. Joerg

Plus Tax what ??

@Mark: What ? Plus tax ? $399 is street price period. What plus tax are you talking about ? Also, additional taxes for products are to be paid only in same states like New York,California... So, what are you talking about,really ?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

According to the BBC ...

... the 40Gb model will cost £299, with the 'regular' PS3 being reduced to £349. The link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7030164.stm

Best snippet from the article was this:

"Mr Maguire said the release of the 40GB PS3 was a "strategic decision" and not the result of lower-than-expected sales of the PlayStation 3."

Mmmm .... right. Dry that one out and you could fertilise the Sinai desert.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like