back to article iPad launch may be limited to US, says analyst

Apple's forthcoming iPad launch may be delayed a month or limited to the US due to an "unspecified production problem," according to one market analyst. In a research to note published on Monday, Canaccord Adams analyst Peter Misek claims to have heard rumblings that a "manufacturing bottleneck" at the iPad's producer will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only bottleneck I've seen is in iPad rumours

and these analysts have proven themselves time and time again to have only a tenuous idea of what's really going on inside Apple

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

What's the matter?

Can't find enough kiddies to build them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Horns

Well,

With the size of those screens those kids will have been exposed to a lot of n-Hexane... so they're probably dead.

Apple: Doesn't deliver sufficient units, creating an artificial shortage to boost interest and prices ("ooh, it sold out? It must have been good!" sounds great- "they only had 2 for sale. And those were pre-ordered. Bloody Apple." doesn't.) and kills the kids who build their products.

Think Different- don't buy an Apple.

1. Ascylto
        Headmaster

Think

Think Different(ly)

Don't listen to Trolls.

I'll bet you've got a floppy drive!

3. Gulfie
    Badgers

I knwo what the problem is...

Not enough workers with small enough hands who are able to perform the final assembly - there are a number of vacancies now that all the under age workers have been removed from the production line!

The iPad: made with hands the size of badgers paws...

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

1,000k?

The title says it all. Geek speak strikes again!

5. LinkOfHyrule

Thanks Gulfie and AC @ 09:54 GMT

You've saved me from making yet another bad taste Apple jibe!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dipping a toe.

OK, sweepstake time,

I'll have a couple of quid on the 'bottleneck' being Apple crapping themselves about the mediocre welcome the iPad got, but anyone else want to take 'we can't make it work' or 'the screens keep cracking'. Perhaps you might be more interested in 'LiIon battery crotch incinerator' or 'Damnit who designed this piece of crap?'

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge

@AC 10:34

I'll take "Lion crotch incinerator" for 5 bob. Shoved in something so thin, if they cut any corners at all, heat dissipation might get to be an issue. Maybe enough to get the Lion pack going? Who knows!

7. RayDio
    Happy

The school holidays are over.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

8. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

Bottleneck

Did they need to order larger chairs since they got caught using child labour?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Bottleneck

Apple's own inspections revealed the child labour, so not exactly being caught is it?

Also, it was Apple's suppliers, not Apple using the 15 year old workers.

9. Sebastian Brosig
    Pirate

poisoned

no they had to hire and train more staff at the manufacturing plant.

The old lot snuffed it after someone spilled a bucket of cleaning fluid.

Skull & Swords Icon because there is no Skull & Crossbones one

10. Robert Ramsay
    FAIL

I would bet...

...on them having finally made the modern equivalent of the Sinclair C5.

I'm sure they'll sell more than Sir Clive ever did, but this is the first Apple consumer device I've had absolutely no interest in owning. Tablet PC's have always been a solution in search of a problem (outside vertical markets ofc) and I don't see that changing with the iPad. Especially as vertical markets normally require extensive customisation, both in hardware and software, and no way will Apple do that.

1. Stu 3
      WTF?

Problems and Solutions

"Tablet PC's have always been a solution in search of a problem (outside vertical markets ofc) and I don't see that changing with the iPad."

And that is just like the rest of the IT industry since it began.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fishy

Restrict the supply to drive up the demand.

12. lukewarmdog
    Badgers

re : re bottleneck

"Apple's own inspections revealed the child labour, so not exactly being caught is it?"

Yes it was exactly being caught, the manufacturers were caught using child labour. By Apple inspectors.

"it was Apple's suppliers, not Apple using the 15 year old workers."

I know.. it says so in the article "at the iPad's manufacturer, Hon Hai Precision". They were caught using child labour you know. By Apple inspectors.

Now where the hell did I put those larger chairs?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Will make for some great publicity photos

All those iTwats in the queue waiting to be fed the latest piece of shiny crap.

Skeletor will be happy!

14. Dan 10
    Happy

How odd...

...you lot think so badly of Apple kit, but yet you still find it necessary to read articles about it and even take the time to submit comments. Why?!

1. Mick F
      Thumb Down

Not odd...

I own and use Apple kit but the production is now so poor and the lock-in so restrictive that I no longer give a toss about them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Yeeehaw Bubba...

I'm a gonna hunt me some fanboi but I gotta read the article to bait ma traps....

We don't think badly of Apple kit, least not any worse than most other kit, what we think badly of is the squeeeeeee sound every time Steve Jobs farts (hey, he's got 40bn stashed, he's gotta have a tight one to have accumulated that much) and, for me at least, it's great fun making fanbois cry.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Shame on you, the device is actually called..

"iPod touch- clown edition", as it seems that "Giphone" didn't do as well with the focus groups.

Anyway, poo about the delay, would quite like to have a play with this shiny toy, even if I can't see myself buying it.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

It really does pay...

...to have actually seen, or preferably used, any bit of kit before you kiddies start throwing your rattles at everything Apple does. You hate Steve Jobs, why, precisely? Been round your place and diddled your sister, has he? Popped round and nicked your crappy little pee-cee and soiled your wardrobe?

"Apple kit locks you in"? "Locks you in" to what? If you bought kit that was any good in the first place, you wouldn't need to worry about being "locked in". Every bit of kit I have has "Apple" painted on it because I used to have to use PCs and they are, without exception, shite. From DOS, through 3, XP and Vista, the OS looks like Disney on a bad day and works so counter-intuitively, you'd think it was made for a bet. Perhaps you bought yours for a bet too. Well, you lost!

Because other, smarter folks than you like what Apple does enough to buy some of their stuff - and face it, it looks a lot better than any crap you own - doesn't mean you have to embarrass yourself by exposing your pre-pubescent angst in the pages of El Reg. If you'd gone out and already bought a BMW or a Jag', you wouldn't need to change it to make it go faster, illuminate it with blue lights, water-cooling and feck knows what else you kiddies do to your wretched PCs. Some of us buy the stuff we need to do work, not to sit and play World of Wankcraft until the early hours because the only friends you have are those on line. Been up torrenting all night because you're too mean and dumb to buy stuff legally? You hate copyright and patents? Try making something of your own for once and see how you like it when every turd in the world just nicks it off ya.

I don't own an iPhone, however, and as for the iPad, I can't think of a use for one. But until the thing is in a store near you, stop showing off your ignorance and stupidity and grow up. If it's crap, ok, then point at it and laugh. If it's not, at least have the grace and the smarts enough to say you were wrong about it. Until it arrives on the shelves, shaddup!

Well I'm glad I got that off my chest, doctor. Same time next week?

1. Chris Pearson

erm

I used to play WoW on my macbook, not till the early hours mind I had a real life too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Squeeeeeeeeeee

You just don't get it do you?

If you want to use Apple's OS, you are locked in to their hardware unless you want to break a licensing agreement of dubious legality, if you want to buy apps for your iPhone, you are locked in to their store unless you want to jailbreak your phone.

If you disagree with the almighty Jobs and alter your bought and paid for hardware, you run the risk of having said hardware bricked. Imagine if you bought a BMW, fitted a non approved tyre and it refused to start, you'd be a little pissed off wouldn't you?

Running with your BMW analogy, granted most people who buy one don't mod them, most PC owners don't mod their machines, that's because they're fit for purpose out of the box. That's not to say some people don't mod brand new BMWs or PCs, there are very healthy aftermarket modding industries for new German cars and new PCs. Hells, you can even mod your Mac if you like, it's only commodity PC hardware in a shiny box after all.

As for your 'sad geek with no mates' PC owner stereotype, fair enough, there are plenty of those, almost definitely more proportionally than 'more money than sense, bought it because it's pretty, blinkered fanboi' Apple owners but that's because the PC is fairly open and lends itself to being modded and tinkered with, different folks get off on different things, it's called diversity.

My PC works just fine (in fact the only piece of software I use that regularly causes me problems is the polished turd called iTunes but I'm preapred to put up with it because I love my iPod), the only blinkenlights on it are the hard disk indicator and LAN activity lights (power isn't really a blinkenlight because, well, it doesn't blinken) and they are still exactly the same colour as they were at the time of purchase.

The case sits under my desk and doesn't need to be pretty (seriously, how many Mac owners stick their machine under a desk and waste all that expensive design which serves no other purpose than to say 'look at me, I'm stylish'?) it just needs to stop the guts falling apart and serve as a convenient place to rest my feet or non urgent paperwork and, given its dual boot nature, sometimes both.

I don't dislike the idea of patents and copyright where justified, what I do dislike is being exploited by companies that have so much money to spend patenting such blatantly obvious and trivial stuff that they file with no other intent than to stop other people using them. Some patents are nothing more than a hedged bet on a future law suit and software patents are a *massive* fail for so many reasons it's not even funny..

As for copyright, fine, I'm all for people making money off things they've created but how can it be right that I can't format shift? How can it be right that I'm a criminal if I download an MP3 from a torrent site but already own a CD with the same track on it?

As for software, I buy or legally obtain all the stuff I use, hell I even register shareware and send post cards to freeware authors who request them. Funnily enough, I get asked for pirate copies of Mac software as often as I get asked for PC software (refusing both) and oddly enough, there are Bittorrent clients for Mac as well as PC so unless someone is being ironic that would indicate that some Mac owners are partial to a bit of dodgy downloading too!

I will happily admit I love my iPod now that it's not a huge lump to lug about (I bought a 4 or 6GB HDD iPod years ago and absolutely loathed it, I now own a nano G4 and 5 and love them) As for the iPad, if it's a game changing piece of awesomeness I will admit I was wrong, I'm grown up enough to be able to do that. But I really don't think I'm going to have to.

I think our work together is now over, there's nothing more I can do for you if you don't have at least a clue now.

Ms Fotheringham, cancel the uptight fanboi's next appointment please.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

@AC "SQUEEEEEEEEEEE"

But I adore Ms Fotheringham.

Thanks for that, I appreciated it. I was just a little peed off at all the blind anti-Apple crap here. I'm no fan of Jobs but I do appreciate his shiny toys. If I must be absolutely honest, I think the iPad will need a few iterations and/or some pretty earth-shattering apps to make it a genuine winner. Until it can do something really clever, like make me look a little more George Clooney and a little less Bill Gates' dad, I won't be buying one either.

Cheers!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

its useless but I'll have one

Being single and reasonably well to do, I spend about 500 squid a month on useless gadget mince anyway.

I was running out of things to buy every month till I started buying apple stuff last year,

The iPad looks pretty, and I can think of absolutely no use for one whatsoever.. I have an iphone 3gs and a new MBP.

But then I already have such useful gadgets as a pico projector, 4 sets of 3d lcd head up glasses, and currently around 15 laptops.

So clearly I will be in the queue for one of these in the hope that this will help fill my pathetic sad lonely life.

I believe if I give 10% of my salary to apple I move up a level towards supreme minky monkey status every year.. or is that scientology ?

stu

1. John H Woods Silver badge

I'm sure I've got a spare sister-in-law...

... if you've got that much spare spondulix and a sad lonely life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like