back to article Microsoft stokes Google 'antitrust concerns' fire

Microsoft launched an ardent attack against Google late last week, accusing the web giant of anti-competitive behaviour. The software vendor's deputy general counsel Dave Heiner wrote a missive on Microsoft's corporate blog on Friday, in which he highlighted complaints levelled at what he sees as Google's questionable business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale
    Flame

Title

<<"Our concerns relate only to Google practices that tend to lock in business partners and content - like Google Books - and exclude competitors, thereby undermining competition more broadly," grumbled Heiner.>>

This from Microsoft? And without a trace of irony?

Kill them. Kill them with fire.

(Flamethrower icon please)

2. Bilgepipe
    Coffee/keyboard

*spits out coffee*

"Microsoft launched an ardent attack against Google late last week, accusing the web giant of anti-competitive behaviour."

Ahhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa.... etc.

We need a ROFL icon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vague

"practices that tend to lock in"

Tend to? Erm, very vague there, should they tend to investigate?

Specifically, what the EU should do is remove the clause in Google's adsense that bans other adverts from other adnetworks that might 'confuse' the visitor to the site. It excludes competitors. They have no trademark control on that ad-block and hence no good reason to block competitors having similar blocks of pay per click adverts.

If Google's adblock is so distinctive, then why do they put the word 'Google' at the bottom? Exactly.

Secondly investigate the payout % to ensure they don't downgrade sites that have competitor adverts on them. If there is any evidence that they do, then force disclosure of the gross and net revenues for a each site they serve ads to (only needs to be disclosed to the site itself).

(Google say they pay out the 'majority' of revenue to advertisers, but the big guys have 90%+ cuts, so it follows that the little sites get very little, perhaps 10-15% to bring the average to 50.01%)

Fix their revenue and the rest will take care of itself, since it all hangs off their ability to fund unprofitable work with ad revenue and ultimately that ad revenue is taken out of the content providers money.

As for their search engine, their ability to maximize the revenue by tweaking the results is far less if sites also carry competitor adverts. And the more suboptimal the result will have to be to show the sites that only carry their ads.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Deputy general counsel Dave Heiner.

If he managed to say all that with a straight face, he's in the wrong job.

A lucrative career as a professional poker player beckons.

5. NB
    FAIL

titles are so last year...

Looks like a serious case of the pot accusing the kettle of overdoing it at the tanning salon...

6. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Grenade

The Spammers Have...

...made the search engines useless for news. As pointed out in elReg, scareware and peckerpill purveyers choose headlines and use black hat SEO to grab the top spots for many news stories.

Be sure to lubricate grenade thoroughly to prevent discomfort when inserting in spammer.

7. Roger Stenning
    WTF?

Are they serious?!

Pot, Kettle, and Black, Advertisers of Ironic Content, are looking to take this pair of twits to the Court of public Shame, I think ;)

8. multipharious

Well we have Gates and Jobs...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=google+founders+brin&FORM=BIFD#

Or just a G and add a halo to one and horns, pitchfork, and a devil tail to it. Looks like we are gonna need it.

9. Lionel Baden
    Gates Halo

takes one to know one

So im going to trust their decision on this one :D

10. David 132 Silver badge
    Grenade

Ciao? Really?

"Microsoft-owned outfit, Ciao!"

Really? Ciao.co.uk? That nuisance site that's all over the first page of my Google results whenever I search for anything, even motherboard spec documents or technical references? Bah!

I say take off and nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

11. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Welcome

Pots and Kettles

A huge amount of hypocrisy and irony doesn't mean Microsoft is not right.

I for one welcome anyone putting another in their place when that's deserved so I look forward to the Mega Corps thrashing sense into one another to the benefit of us all.

Criticising when they are wrong does not preclude applauding when they are right. They may even look in the mirror along the way and improve themselves.

1. Trevor Pott o_O Gold badge
      Happy

@Jason Bloomberg

"Criticising when they are wrong does not preclude applauding when they are right."

Well said, and something I think more people need to do. Companies can come to view their customers as "the enemy," in part because all they ever get is static. Every now and then, if a company is doing right by you...it's a good thing to let them know.

:D

It’s nice to see someone else agrees!

12. Lou Gosselin

All of 'em

I say, take them all down a few notches.

13. Andrew Williams
    Jobs Horns

One wonders...

Considering how loving (not) the EC is towards Microsoft that if Google ends up exonerated that they may be savaged once more by the EC for false allegations.

Now that would be a soap opera worth waiting for :P

Because Ballmer is an evil tosser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Andrew Williams

"Because Ballmer is an evil tosser"

...and Apple have nothing to do with this story, retard, it's MS and Google!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This is not a title.

But that was a pretty funny response!

14. Ned Fowden

@pot & kettle

good on them I say ... whats good for MS is good for the others too

lets have their dirtty laundry aired in full public view too

15. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Good God (-win)

It's a bit like Hitler calling someone a Nazi, really, isn't it.

16. druck Silver badge
    Gates Horns

The worlds leading authority...

Well Microsoft is the worlds leading authority on anti-competitive behaviour, they have convictions all over the world and billions in fines to prove it.

Of course they are just kicking themselves they aren't in google's position.

17. D. M
    FAIL

and this guy works for MS ...

Fully agree this guy is in wrong profession. He should be a politician, or leader of <insert religion name>. Doing everything else is wasting his skills/abilities.

18. Alpha Tony

I'm just surprised..

..that it has taken this long. Google have a near monopoly when it comes to the search engine and online advertising market. They have used that to give themselves an edge in other markets. I'm just amazed they have managed to avoid being investigated for so long.

It's also no surprise that Microsoft, who have been fined astronomical sums for abusing their market position want similar measures applied to their competitors if they use similar tactics. It's not ironic at all, it's just common sense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like