back to article O2 revamps Sim-only tariffs for end-of-contract iPhone owners

O2 is looking to win over eBay buyers who've picked up a second-hand iPhone or another make of smartphone. Today it launched new 'Simplicity' Sim-only tarrifs aimed at people who aren't looking for a new handset. The packages will also encourage iPhone owners who've come to the end of their contract to stay with the cellco, O2 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

O2 Simplicity = new ???

I signed up to one in June last year when my T-Mo contract expired. A mate of mine had been on that at least since 2008 some time.

It's a great package, though. I got 600 minutes, 1200 texts and 1GB mobile data for £20/mo. No tethering allowed, mind you.

2. lozb

They made it more expensive

The deal most people were getting was £20, 900 minutes + 1200 texts + unlimited data on a one month rolling contract.

That's gone up by 50% now. Sure it's 'unlimited texts' but who would honestly go above 1200 a month?

I'm not impressed by this and frankly that deal was all that was keeping me to o2. Their service in London is shocking, so many black spots where you get full 3G reception and nothing works.

3. James R Grinter

what a difference a few days make

I switched to the SIMplicity 20 for iPhone tariff on the 23rd, and got 600 minutes + 1200 texts, 'unlimited web and wifi' for the same £20/month, on a 1-month notice basis.

(I wonder how long I get to keep that, and whether I too will qualify for the option of tethering at £2/day used -- which is the way they should have been pricing it in the first place.)

4. pctechxp

I think...

These differ from the existing offer as they include visual voicemail support.

Those Cupertino licence fees have to be paid somehow although I agreee I'm not sure why it is the same for those not dragged in by the Apple hype.

5. Ascylto
    Gates Halo

Good so far, o2.

My o2 iPhone contract was for 18 months at £35 a month for 600 minutes and 500 texts and 'unlimited' internet. My new simplicity tariff with o2 is £20 a month (monthly tariff) and I get 700 minutes and 700 texts and 'unlimited' internet. It suits me just fine as I use about half of the available minutes and just a few of the texts. There MAY be better deals with Orange or Vodafone but, currently, the one thing the others can't manage is Customer Service which, in o2's case has been superb for me. I just hope o2 don't go the way of Orange and reduce their CS to one star out of ten (I don't think Voda ever had any service at all).

I want o2 to give us some tariffs for the iPad.

6. tebiru

Tethering

I've done it a number of times on O2's simplicity tariff without a hitch. How do they know if you're tethering or not? (I know technically you're not 'allowed', but that's not the same as 'can't'.)

I think as long as you do it within reason - i.e. not trying to download films with it - you can get away with it without paying this extra charge.

I've been on the 600 mins 20 / month plan, but thinking of switching to T-Mobile since they offer unlimited data deals from 10 / month without having to sign up for 12 months.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like