back to article 'We're on a virtual walk out of Africa', futurologist tells Intel partners

The human race is on the threshold of a virtual walk out of Africa, but we'll only be able to see where we're going as long as we're wearing those funny little glasses everyone wore to watch Avatar. In the meantime, according to Intel, corporate neanderthals still struggling along with outdated processors can help the human …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob Crawford
    WTF?

Glad they had an intelligent panel

"Futurist Ray Hammond declared that computers were rapidly approaching human levels of intelligence"

If he has dais human levels of stupidity then I may have agreed but I guess I would have been shouting bollocks at him.

2. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Pint

Quest For Fire...

...is a great Movie, im not sure the latest processor is as important as fire. For me, the high point of the movie is the discovery of the missionary position.

I'll drink to that!

3. Jeff Power
    Stop

3D in laptops in three or four years...

Guess he hasn't heard of this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10401585-1.html

or this:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/10/18/asus-launches-nvidia-3d-vision-laptop-156-120hz-lcd2c-3d-goggles.aspx

or these:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/18/hp-and-dell-working-on-3d-gaming-laptops/

but maybe he's thinking this could take that long to reach laptops (if it launches (has launched) as soon as the article predicts, I don't think it would be long before someone would jam it in a laptop):

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/05/07/glasses-free-3d-lcds-on-the-way-from-nec/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Upgrade

What's this "upgrading TO Windows" you're rattling on about?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone show me some of these intelligent machines please

from where I'm sitting, they're still just as dumb as a windmill

6. John Sanders
    Flame

Futurist Ray Hammond

I'm speechless, I had no idea intel had found how conscience work, or by the same account, what conscience is, and the means to digitally reproduce it.

So the next marketing crap-word to replace "innovation" is "built-in conscience".

As per addressing the rights of processors, I'm sure intel will find a way so those rights won't affect their quarterly results... I can't stop imagining processors asking for retirement pay, paid holidays... or the right to relax playing "prom" from time to time.

So much for the IQ of an audience who think of technology as some kind of magic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

conscience != consciousness

Just because it passes spellchecking doesn't mean it's the right word.

7. heyrick Silver badge

Maybe the future is...

...working on something awesomely cool that isn't saddled by an instruction set from the '70s, a mish-mass of instructions and technologies, and a quirky hybrid of multiple execution units...

...sounds more like discovering fire than lamely jumping on the 3D bandwagon. We don't need 3D on a laptop. Really we don't. Perhaps for watching movies (in which case a Really Big telly would be more suited) or perhaps for children that would feel intimidated by Windows - though I had the "pleasure" of sitting in the library next to a five year old still in nappies (five? isn't that a bit old?) who knew her way around Google and Wiki AND print previewing and editing the output so she only got what she wanted. [ps: ubuntu and she knew it]

Damn, I was impressed.

Which is more than I can say for the 3D-on-a-laptop idea. Great, yet MORE reasons why management can't get anything done on time.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

OK, I wasn't there

but still, how can 3D, massively parallel processors and terabytes of storage equal human intelligence ?

That's a bit like saying I've got a cow, a field of wheat and another of tomatoes, great I can make a hamburger. Ultimately, I could, but there are, erm, a few intermediate steps.

Right now, as far as artificial consciousness or intelligence is concerned, we are at the cow stage. We know where we want to go, but nobody has any idea of how to get to the hamburger yet.

And until we understand exactly how the human brain functions, you can throw as many miniaturized transistors on whatever technology you want, we won't know how to put it all together to make it work.

And that is just the hardware side of things....

1. Freddie

@OK, I wasn't there

I'd say it's more like we have a whole heap of hamburgers and we're trying to make a cow.

9. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

DARPA might disagree

Given their assessment that intelligent behavior is going to needing something more around a peta flop of processing we're still a some way off putting that in a *rack* never mind a laptop.

But it is true futurologists *are* smarter than average reg readers.

They get paid to spout what we only talk about over a few beers.

10. Richard Jukes

More hype...

Yet more hype to sell us chips that we dont really need. Most CPU's from 2/3 years ago are more than fast enough NOW for what they are used for - even with modern day bloatware.

Like someone else said, we need new instruction sets and more work to be done on the motherboard/harddrive side of things to see any major increase in power.

11. SynnerCal
    Troll

Anyone seen a laptop?

"But Hammond's bold predictions bring us back to the beginning. It's all very well Intel declaring that now is a good time to upgrade your PC and switch the Vista."

I asked my laptop whether it wanted to be 'upgraded' to Vista, to which it quacked loudly and waddled off in the opposite direction as quickly as it could, looking for fish. (see icon for another hint why)

Seriously, 3D on a laptop - desktop replacement maybe, but generally? I think not - just think of the hit on battery life that this'll generate. But then again, I'm not exactly convinced of the utility of domestic 3D outside of the cinema, and possibly first-person-shooter games.

12. Toastan Buttar

Waiting for post from Louis Savain

In 3.....2.....

13. Toastan Buttar

Ray Hammond

Ray Hammond wrote the absolutely brilliant book "The Musician and the Micro" in the early '80s. A lot of his predictions in there were pretty much spot-on.

http://www.rayhammond.com/musicianandthemicro.html

It'd be a shame if he's tried to keep up a winning streak of future gazing. I think you only get lucky once in that game. Ultimately, as Michael Crichton asks, "Why Speculate ?".

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-whyspeculate.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like