back to article LG KG271 and KG275 budget phones

We at Register Hardware were enthusiastic fans of Motorola's Motofone F3 - reviewed here. The very simplicity and purity of design seemed to us altogether worthy and estimable. Rather like the Mini - Sir Alex Issigonis' 1959 classic, not the BMW ersatz retro foisted on us today - the very lack of frill and fancy seemed possessed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Hooray! A sensible phone!

Now call me a luddite, but I'm old enough to be of the opinion that phones are for talking on. For PDA things I have a PDA, and for photographs, I have a camera - with real film, though I will also admit to electric pictures. I don't do music or video on the go.

A phone that's not full of crap, at a price that's not full of crap, what's not to like? Just a shame that the triband lacks the radio... ah, working phone in the Americas, or The News Quiz, what a choice?

2. Ian Ferguson

Questions

Sounds good. Is the FM radio and the colour scheme the only difference between the two? I'm tempted to try and buy the cheaper one over the internet - will they work OK in the UK?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All well and good

It's all well and good making it simple but they're missing out on a big trick. Yes make it simple and small but put a big f#$k off battery in it. 4 hours talk time, that's not really any better than my Blackberry. How about one that has 8 or 12 hours talk time? That way when your on the lash for the weekend you've got a phone that's cheap enough that you don't mind loosing it and you don't need to charge it!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Neil Barnes

You're a Luddite.

So am I - now, more than ever, I'm firmly of the belief that so-called convergent technology is horribly overrated. I don't want something that does Bluetooth, GPRS, EDGE, XYZ, DOA etc. and makes tea, I want something that can make calls and send occasional SMS. No more, no less.

Hell, if one of the networks offered one of these on, say, a 15 or 20 quid per month contract I'd take their hands off, even if the network in question were someone as hopeless as Vodafone or Orange (but not O2 ... let's not go there). The Motorola F3 would have been a contender were it not for the truly horrific usability (tried one, hated it)

However, given the network's obsession with flogging bling to the trash generation, I think the chance of either of these handsets becoming readily available in the UK is somewhere on the far side of nil.

Now please, someone go and prove me wrong, 'cos I want one :-) (not bothered which, although I doubt the FM radio'd version will do long-wave!)

5. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Questions

They're both GSM phones, and unlocked, so there's no reason why they won't work here.

6. mark Weiss

simple phones for simple people

in advocating more features and bemoaning the lack of them the author misses the point entirely. there are people like me who, though old, pre-tech and cast aside as worthless by the tech loving class, still may want to make a call away from home. they, we, just want to making a bloody call. don't care if the phone is a media/entertainment source. don't do messaging preferring to simply call the freaking person. don't particularly want a gps unit in a phone. don't want to see or hear ads from the phone. just a phone to be a phone. with a key pad made for someone with human fingertips and normal to subnormal vision.

7. Gildas

Title

"In advocating more features and bemoaning the lack of them the author misses the point entirely."

I rather think the author is making exactly the opposite point; that the lack of features is to be welcomed.

8. Martin Wheeler

KG 275 in UK for £9.99

Just bought one of the machines as described above from my local Sainsbury's -- on special half-price offer, hence the £9.99 price tag.

Seems absolutely OK to me (BTW: I've *never* used a mobile phone in my life before; so absolutely everything about it was NEW knowledge to me.)

Two hiccups:

1) They could really do with some instructions on how to insert a sim card -- like a picture telling you to slide it UNDER the metal holder-bar across the depression under the battery that takes the sim.

(Took me an hour to work that one out. It's neither obvious; nor easy to insert the card.)

2) WTF is my own phone number? How do I find out?

(I wasn't given one when the card was activated over the freephone number by a guy who obviously learned his English from the manic camp DJ in 'The Fifth Element'.)

Otherwise -- a doddle. For a pensioner with a PhD, but NIL knowledge of what a mobile phone is.

Martin Wheeler

mwheeler at startext dot co dot uk

9. Al Taylor

Title

Martin, to find your own number go to Menu - Contacts - 7 Information - 2 Own Numbers. Should show as Line 1 with the number at the bottom of the screen.

10. JohnG
    Thumb Up

Not a luddite...

...but I will probably get a phone like one of these soon.

At work, I often select and setup phones (for other peopl) to use GPRS/UMTS for email retrieval and the like. The latest gag is setting up Nokia phones to use VOIP via WLAN when the user is in the office.

However, for myself, I just want a phone to be phone, make and receive calls and send the odd SMS. I don't want it making data connections if I accidentally hit the cunningly preprogrammed button. I don't want a digital camera with a crappy lens - I have a real camera for taking photos. If I want to run some application, I like a screen bigger than a postage stamp.

A phone which is just a phone and will fit in my shirt pocket would be ideal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like