back to article 5000 desktops to virtualise

Ready, steady.....wait Webcast If you’ve got ‘Virtualise Desktops’ on your to-do list for 2010, you might want to watch this first. It's a webcast we recorded on the 11th of Feb with the project leads from a 5,000 strong desktop virtualisation project talking us through their experiences. They come from Lancashire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. McVirtual
    FAIL

IT Choices

It's good to see how other organisations approaches, but really concerning that 12 minutes in the IT bod tells us what the alternative to Hyper-V were.... WTS.

And then 15 minutes in an ROI of 5years maybe more!... This goes against a lot of the Parallels, Xen and VMware numbers of 18months-2 years.

I think it is obvious that VDI is a huge play, but why on earth Hyper-V with a >5year ROI?

2. Inachu
    Flame

Virtual fail

I can see this working for those in a regular office setting but when you are in an industry where an entire office is dedicated to R&D and they need admin local access to test hardware out then it will be pure fail.

I have seen instances where a person has 3 computer that all need full admin rights to all ports and usb for what ever they are testing and any IT mandate to control this person......

I can see that person out of a job because of that.

Sometimes IT bites too hard on the end users to force them to log into some VM thin client on some remote server 20-40-100 miles away located in the heart of IT world.

Thin virtual desktops have no place in a R&D setting.

3. cmaurand

Yawn

We moved computing out of the glass house 25 years ago. Why do we want to put it back there again? Can someone remind me?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like